2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I also expect around 33-36 TDs. The yards won’t happen unless OBJ has a monster comeback season.

I need that completion % to move up to 65% though. No more hovering around high 50’s.

The completion percentage will rise when his air yards come down. He is always near the top in intended air yards and air yards per attempt so it goes without saying the completion percentage would take a bit of a hit. If he can complete 63% and still be near the top in AYA I'll take that all day.

• Like 5

I can’t wait to get this thing rolling. A balanced offense all around is the recipe for this team. Kevin Stefanski was fantastic last year. There were a couple games down the stretch that were called pretty strangely though and they got really pass happy. You can tell how much different this offense is when they stay balanced. They were really good at that for the most part. Baker, Chubb, and the offense will be fun to watch this year. I’m really interested to see the receiving situation and if DPJ becomes a primary focus even if Landry and OBJ are healthy.

Edited by NateDawg

33 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The completion percentage will rise when his air yards come down. He is always near the top in intended air yards and air yards per attempt so it goes without saying the completion percentage would take a bit of a hit. If he can complete 63% and still be near the top in AYA I'll take that all day.

I agree

Side note, it’s why Joe Burrow scares the ish out of me longterm. If he played a full year, he’d have had similar numbers to Baker. However, he did avoid playing in bad weather + Giants / Steelers / Ravens / Dolphins (but didn’t play Houston + Dallas).

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I can’t wait to get this thing rolling. A balanced offense all around is the recipe for this team. Kevin Stefanski was fantastic last year. There were a couple games down the stretch that were called pretty strangely though and they got really pass happy. You can tell how much different this offense is when they stay balanced. They were really good at that for the most part. Baker, Chubb, and the offense will be fun to watch this year. I’m really interested to see the receiving situation and if DPJ becomes a primary focus even if Landry and OBJ are healthy.

It will be interesting to see how we react to the adjustments made against our offense by other defenses and what changes this year. 

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

It will be interesting to see how we react to the adjustments made against our offense by other defenses and what changes this year. 

Yeah it's nice to have an elite running game along with a versatile QB who can throw accurate quick passes or hit tight windows 20 yards downfield. There isn't a whole lot defenses can do to stop us, they will have to physically beat our offensive line to disrupt things.

• Like 1

If we give Baker 40+ mil I’ll be fine with it. However, we will have to commit to being an offensive dominant team that you kind of have to just cross your fingers and hope the defense can be average one season after you hit on some draft picks.

The Patriots are the only franchise I’ve seen pay a franchise QB and be balanced every single year. The Packers came close for a few years.

I’d rather have a offensive team anyways. I don’t understand how Bears and Broncos (ignoring Manning years) fans put up with what they’ve watched.

Edited by candyman93

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If we give Baker 40+ mil I’ll be fine with it. However, we will have to commit to being an offensive dominant team that you kind of have to just cross your fingers and hope the defense can be average one season after you hit on some draft picks.

The Patriots are the only franchise I’ve seen pay a franchise QB and be balanced every single year. The Packers came close for a few years.

I’d rather have a offensive team anyways. I don’t understand how Bears and Broncos (ignoring Manning years) fans put up with what they’ve watched.

You can do it, or come close consistently, but it’s gonna take an extremely competent and cold blooded front office.  Only elite players get resigned, the rest walk for comp picks.

I’m still holding out hope Baker takes a team friendly deal.  I’ve said it many times before, and I’ll say it again.  There’s a certain point where money is more or less irrelevant.  If you make 20 million or 40 million, you’re not going without anything.

If I were Baker I’d sign a 4 year, 120 million extension.  In return for the favorable deal, I’d want it fully guaranteed and with the expectation key pieces are resigned and every effort I’d made to win a ring.

If he does his job he’s well on his way to a quarter billion or more easily in salary alone as he could sign another couple deals just like that if he stays healthy.

But I’m sure he won’t do that…

18 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Only elite players get resigned

That’s the tricky part. Looking at our roster, who could you say “yeah, that guy could be the best in all of football at his position any year?” To make it simple, just say All Pro caliber.

For me: Myles, Nick, Jack, Wyatt, JJ3, Joel (I understand he’s debatable among our fans), and Denzel. Good news is that only 2 more of those guys needs locked up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That’s the tricky part. Looking at our roster, who could you say “yeah, that guy could be the best in all of football at his position any year?” To make it simple, just say All Pro caliber.

For me: Myles, Nick, Jack, Wyatt, JJ3, Joel (I understand he’s debatable among our fans), and Denzel. Good news is that only 2 more of those guys needs locked up.

I’d put Chubb in there. Granted, touches getting taken away and him being locked up make it moot.

I rewatched the Jets game from last year, it is amazing how fast things can implode. We were without 2/5 starting olineman, and our top 4 we at the time. Hooper played poorly he was super uncouth in the game we needed him the most, and we couldnt get the run going, they sold out to stop it.

Baker wasnt able to make plays under duress either.

21 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I rewatched the Jets game from last year, it is amazing how fast things can implode. We were without 2/5 starting olineman, and our top 4 we at the time. Hooper played poorly he was super uncouth in the game we needed him the most, and we couldnt get the run going, they sold out to stop it.

The defense was dog ish too. That made me more angry than anything.

Baker did the best he could and gave an admirable effort.

I coach defense, and the last two or three years one that’s really struggled. Running the ball is the main wait to limit opposition possessions and a way to keep a terrible defense off of the field, so I’m going to be curious to see if Stefanski opens it up more. Clearly the running game is our bread and butter and his philosophy, but games like Dallas, Tennessee, and Houston show just how bad we were defensively last year, and kudos for Stefanski for planning it as such.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Which is all the more astounding they never really addressed interior OL depth outside in the draft with the age/contracts of Joel/Tretter/Teller.

They drafted a OT which is the only position on the OL we have long terms starters at with Conklin/Wills/Hubbard/Forbes

A little strange to not get some mid/late round OG/C to work 'season' himself for a year or two until Bitonio/Tretter/Teller leave.

Edited by AkronsWitness