Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

We should lock Baker up before he realizes the cap is going to go up in a year. @LETSGOBROWNIES

I thought a bunch of Ivy leagues would have realized this. Pre-Josh Allen extension, they could have locked Baker up for $32-35M/yr and now they are likely going to have to pay him $40-45M because they sat on their hands.

You always set the market...do not let the market get set for you. It never works out if you wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I thought a bunch of Ivy leagues would have realized this. Pre-Josh Allen extension, they could have locked Baker up for $32-35M/yr and now they are likely going to have to pay him $40-45M because they sat on their hands.

You always set the market...do not let the market get set for you. It never works out if you wait.

This whole statement was written as if the whole process only involves one side.

I’m gonna spitball something crazy here, so bear with me a sec.  But…. what if Baker’s agent ALSO knows the cap is going to go up and by waiting he could secure his client an extra 8-10 million per year?

If by chance a guy who’s been doing this job for 40 years somehow miraculously stumbles to the same conclusion some goobers on the internet have, this could potentially play a factor in why he’s not yet signed.

But I doubt that’s the case.  I’ll bet the eggheads in Berea are just clueless.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This whole statement was written as if the whole process only involves one side.

I’m gonna spitball something crazy here, so bear with me a sec.  But…. what if Baker’s agent ALSO knows the cap is going to go up and by waiting he could secure his client an extra 8-10 million per year?

If by chance a guy who’s been doing this job for 40 years somehow miraculously stumbles to the same conclusion some goobers on the internet have, this could potentially play a factor in why he’s not yet signed.

But I doubt that’s the case.  I’ll bet the eggheads in Berea are just clueless.

At the same time, Baker isn't a sure fire guaranteed to get paid that level of money guy. If you remember there was a big back and forth if they were even going to pick up his 5th year option let alone resign him to top 3 QB money.

In that case his agent might have advised him to take the offer the Browns sent over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

At the same time, Baker isn't a sure fire guaranteed to get paid that level of money guy.
 

And maybe the team’s offer reflected that and he’s betting on himself?

27 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

If you remember there was a big back and forth if they were even going to pick up his 5th year option let alone resign him to top 3 QB money.

By who? The media?  I never had any doubt personally, just like I have no doubt a long term deal gets done.

27 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

In that case his agent might have advised him to take the offer the Browns sent over.

Without know what the Browns are offering or Baker is wanting, it’s impossible to to assign “blame” to anyone here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And maybe the team’s offer reflected that and he’s betting on himself?

By who? The media?  I never had any doubt personally, just like I have no doubt a long term deal gets done.

Without know what the Browns are offering or Baker is wanting, it’s impossible to to assign “blame” to anyone here.

 

All im saying is I think they could have tried to 'lowball' him this year pre-Josh Allen. If they liked him that much I feel like we would have heard more about the Browns and Bakers agent have spoken about contract extention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Frickers for lunch today and they had the WWL on all the TV's and a few different segments came up talking about the Browns going to the SB and Baker being a pretender or contender for MVP. I didn't hear them talk (thank the high power for that) so the people I was with were asking my opinion. I said I don't understand how anyone can claim Baker is not a a good QB maybe even a great with what the Browns have been for 20+ years. I mean the guy took over a winless team and in 3 years got them a playoff win. He isn't going to win the MVP with Mahomes in the league but who cares (yes he can but I don't think he will ever be the favorite for this as long as PM is in the NFL). This team is built to run the ball, throw it when you sneak into the box and grind you down in the 4th quarter. They did it last year and will do it again this year with an average or above average defense now. 

Funny thing to think about is this team is a SB caliber team but it has nothing to do with Baker. He played well enough to win it last year. It is the defense that needs to take a step forward to win it all. Other than the Jets game (also BS that game should have been postponed) I can't think of a game that the offense really didn't play well enough to win if they would have gotten a couple key stops on D. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel Bakers ceiling is John Elway and not Drew Brees. The only thing he has in common with Brees is size.

 

He reminds me of Elway because of his arm strength, work at their best when moving around, confidence, and “don’t give a **** do whatever it takes” attitude. Baker also throws a beautiful spiral like Elway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I feel Bakers ceiling is John Elway and not Drew Brees. The only thing he has in common with Brees is size.

 

He reminds me of Elway because of his arm strength, work at their best when moving around, confidence, and “don’t give a **** do whatever it takes” attitude. Baker also throws a beautiful spiral like Elway.

I think the height is a big thing though, Baker vision is impeded by his height like Brees. I remember Brees had to have those real deep pockets where he moved forward and did really well with giant guards. 

 

He isnt the athlete that elway was either, Elway was the prototypical qb like Andrew Lucl, big and strong and mobile.

Baker is mobile and uncanny in the pocket at times, but he isnt taking on a linebacker like elway could.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think the height is a big thing though, Baker vision is impeded by his height like Brees. I remember Brees had to have those real deep pockets where he moved forward and did really well with giant guards. 

He isnt the athlete that elway was either, Elway was the prototypical qb like Andrew Lucl, big and strong and mobile.

Baker is mobile and uncanny in the pocket at times, but he isnt taking on a linebacker like elway could.

I've said it since the beginning. His ceiling is short Aaron Rodgers. His LIKELY outcome is more like a faster processing, shorter Phillip Rivers. I don't know, I suck at comparisons. But I really think his CEILING (not likely ceiling, but his "if everything goes right") is a top 3-4 QB in the league for his prime.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...