Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 10/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, beekay414 said:

Neither QB goes high if they don't play for Alabama and Oklahoma lol. That's the point. They were highly productive because of their environment. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Mac Jones absolutely balled out at the end of his Alabama career. He obviously had a stacked team around him but he put up record breaking numbers in the SEC. Hurts play at Alabama wasn't great and he didn't even really look like a prospect, as you said it was his play at Oklahoma that boosted his draft stock. 

When you look at most of the best young QB's in the league almost none of them came out of power house programs. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I don't even think he's going to flame out in the NFL.  But I just don't see him as a franchise QB.

I agree. I think he can be a starter but his lack of mobility is a major weakness in the modern NFL. If he's going to succeed he'll need to end up somewhere with a good offensive line and supporting cast around him because he's not a player that can consistently extend plays/make plays outside of the structure of the offense.

This years QB group is pretty lackluster although I think Willis can be a very good NFL QB.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:39 PM, beekay414 said:

Willis is whatever. He's going to need a very niche system to thrive.

I need to watch more of him but I've been impressed from what I've seen so far. Willis reminds me of Jalen Hurts with better athleticism and a better arm. 

On 10/7/2021 at 4:59 AM, jebrick said:

At this point, I have Willis as QB1 Ridder QB2.  Then perhaps Strong.  None of them are worth a top 5 pick.

I could see this years draft class being like the 2013 draft where EJ Manuel was the only QB selected in the 1st round. Willis would probably be that guy with Ridder, Strong, and Corrall getting early 2nd round consideration. 

So some are having a crap fit because the QBs that were supposed to be highly productive are not being as highly productive as say Joe Burrow who had a historic season in college football and Mac Jones who followed him up with an equally historic run?  

Either way top rated and drafted QBs like Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones had a little help to allow them to produce.  Tua was limited because of those injuries but was on pace to do some amazing things like Burrow and Jones did.  

1st round picks, total of 10 in 2 years offensively from LSU and Alabama not including the QBs obviously.  And all start and produce with the rosters they are on currently.

JaMarr Chase WR
Justin Jefferson WR
DeVonta Smith WR
Jaylen Waddle WR
Henry Ruggs WR
Jerry Jeudy WR
Jedrick Wills OT
Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB
Najee Harris RB
Alex Leatherwood OT

Other draft selections and UDFA signings after the 1st round and 3 of these guys start on the rosters they are on.  

Landon Dickerson OG/C
Damien Lewis OG
Terrace Marshall Jr WR
Lloyd Cushenberry C/OG
Saahdig Charles OT
Racey McMath WR
Deonte Brown OG
Thaddeus Moss TE

Now you take Oklahoma and UNC specifically, not sure either team has a 1st round pick on the offense right now at any position outside of QB, think that has anything to do with the lack of production?  Blame the QB sure but neither roster is what they were before, UNC has not played great on the OL at all, same with OU and neither team have receivers that have stepped up much.  Caleb Williams was successful because of his running ability which opened up the pass game but will see how he looks if he is the starter from here on.  Either way college football defenses are clueless in stopping the QB run so sure he could do fine. 

Fact is put Rattler or Howell on those Bama or LSU teams and they would do just fine as well, maybe not equally as great but they could fall to a perfect situation in the NFL and do just fine at QB potentially. 

So the bar of Joe Burrow or Mac Jones type production is simply not that realistic at all to expect every QB coming up to equal or surpass that year after year.