Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

But I think Rattler was way more based on projection then most other guys. We had seen Lawerence, Fields, etc. play at a high level before they were projected as the best player in the country. Rattler was just okay last season.

It was based on projected progression and being an OU QB. Given the recent pedigree of Mayfield, Murray, and even Hurts.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But I think Rattler was way more based on projection then most other guys. We had seen Lawerence, Fields, etc. play at a high level before they were projected as the best player in the country. Rattler was just okay last season.

He was certainly better then okay last year.  Other then his decision making.

Just now, CWood21 said:

He was certainly better then okay last year.  Other then his decision making.

I'd say he was just okay when you consider the numbers that Hurts, Mayfield, and Murray put up in the same system. But to be fair to Rattler, those guys all came in as transfers and were older players when they arrived at Oklahoma.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I'd say he was just okay when you consider the numbers that Hurts, Mayfield, and Murray put up in the same system. But to be fair to Rattler, those guys all came in as transfers and were older players when they arrived at Oklahoma.

Just because those 3 put up Madden-esque numbers doesn't mean he's bad.  You're also looking at the supporting cast around them.  The Sooners' OL this year is really bad, particularly at the tackle positions (LT in particular is really bad) and going from Creed Humphrey to Andrew Raym has seen there a downgrade. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just because those 3 put up Madden-esque numbers doesn't mean he's bad.  You're also looking at the supporting cast around them.  The Sooners' OL this year is really bad, particularly at the tackle positions (LT in particular is really bad) and going from Creed Humphrey to Andrew Raym has seen there a downgrade. 

The reason that 2 of those players were the #1 pick in the draft and the other an early second round pick was because they put up Madden-esque numbers though. And it was unfair for anyone to expect him to put up all time great numbers because other guys had just done it in the same system but that was the reason he was projected so highly.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And we're over here talking about how bad he is, and he's having his best series of the season thus far.

Rattler has the tools to be a 1st round pick, personally I don't think he should enter the draft this year. But it's difficult to return to Oklahoma with Caleb Williams on the roster. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The reason that 2 of those players were the #1 pick in the draft and the other an early second round pick was because they put up Madden-esque numbers though. And it was unfair for anyone to expect him to put up all time great numbers because other guys had just done it in the same system but that was the reason he was projected so highly.

Because it was expected that he'd make that next jump, which so far he hasn't done.  But there's still a LOT of games left.  And how he finishes is going to go a LONG way into determining where he goes.  I still think his future remains on the bench for a year, but he'll be a FRP as long as he doesn't fall off the face of the earth in the last part of the season.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rattler has the tools to be a 1st round pick, personally I don't think he should enter the draft this year. But it's difficult to return to Oklahoma with Caleb Williams on the roster. 

It's not just the tools.  You see glimpses of it.  The problem is he just doesn't consistently do it.  And you have to remember that he's only 20 years old.  Sam Howell is a year older then him.  Desmond Ridder is 2 years older then him.  Matt Corral is 2 years older.  Carson Strong is 2 years older.