Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Being the best UNC QB is like being the tallest midget, it means nothing at all, it's a basketball school. You don't think North Carolina's recent kinda success is correlated to bringing back one of the most successful coaches in college football history? Virginia Tech is okay but they completely embarrassed Sam Howell, not a great look, probably one of the worst performances for a "1st round QB" in a decade. 

Do not watch a lot of football or what?

Jake Locker was a 8th pick overall in 2011 and that season in college 2010 he played Nebraska in the regular season and threw 4-20 for 71 yards with 2 INTs.  Then played them in the bowl game and went 5-16 with 56 yards.  Pretty sure that is far worse than what Sam Howell did and there are a few others as well.

But hate Sam Howell, I really do not care just like many hated Mac Jones last year and that is more and more turning out to be absolute bull****.  

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Do not watch a lot of football or what?

Jake Locker was a 8th pick overall in 2011 and that season in college 2010 he played Nebraska in the regular season and threw 4-20 for 71 yards with 2 INTs.  Then played them in the bowl game and went 5-16 with 56 yards.  Pretty sure that is far worse than what Sam Howell did and there are a few others as well.

But hate Sam Howell, I really do not care just like many hated Mac Jones last year and that is more and more turning out to be absolute bull****.  

Jake Locker was also 6'3" 230 with a cannon and ran a 4.5, lol, dude was like Josh Allen. He was never a great college player but was drafted highly because of his physical gifts. Sam Howell looks like Baker Mayfield's less talented little brother. What has Mac Jones done to prove that the hate was unwarranted? Lose to Tua at home then beat another rookie QB?

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jake Locker was also 6'3" 230 with a cannon and ran a 4.5, lol, dude was like Josh Allen. He was never a great college player but was drafted highly because of his physical gifts. Sam Howell looks like Baker Mayfield's less talented little brother. What has Mac Jones done to prove that the hate was unwarranted? Lose to Tua at home then beat another rookie QB?

Jake Locker had a cannon?  Are you freaking kidding me?  He did not have a cannon for an arm, he was a physical athlete that really had a pretty crap throwing arm and it was no where near a 'cannon'.  Josh Allen comparison?  Comparing Jake Locker to Josh Allen is a massive insult to Josh Allen.  In no world are those two similar QB prospects because the arm talent is not even on the same planet honestly.  

And in terms of Mac Jones, the "hate" was many, I believe it was you and a few others thought Mac Jones was not even going to play and or start in the NFL and be a career backup, and now he is starting in the NFL week 1 as a rookie and the team that has him cut Cam Newton because of it.  Pretty sure that is a bit of proof that your thought process with him is absolute crap.  If it was not he would be sitting on the bench behind Cam Newton right now.

But no go keep talking in circles and rip on Sam Howell for playing bad against a Virginia Tech defense that has multiple players who will be NFL players.

And Matt Corral, I like him honestly and talked him up last year, way before you were now currently.  So whatever man go talk QBs all freaking day have fun.  Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell are the worst QB prospects of all time, roll with that one.  Worst performance as a 1st round prospect QB in a decade, what a load.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And in terms of Mac Jones, the "hate" was many, I believe it was you and a few others thought Mac Jones was not even going to play and or start in the NFL and be a career backup, and now he is starting in the NFL week 1 as a rookie and the team that has him cut Cam Newton because of it.  Pretty sure that is a bit of proof that your thought process with him is absolute crap.  If it was not he would be sitting on the bench behind Cam Newton right now.

But no go keep talking in circles and rip on Sam Howell for playing bad against a Virginia Tech defense that has multiple players who will be NFL players.

Beating out Cam Newton doesn't automatically qualify you as a good starting quarterback. His average depth of target is like 3 yards through the first 2 weeks, lol.

57 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’ll never understand people’s fascination with one season. NFL or College. Too many examples to name. 

It's crazy to me. Particularly in college, where one season often leads to all sorts of differences in competition. A guy has a huge season, sure, but what of his opposing competition just happened to be down? Etc. 

That can only go so far, of course, since most guys start for like 2 years, maybe 3, but boy do people salivate over 1. 

I'll never forget the Hackenburg hype. I don't trust 1 year wonders anymore. It's the Alabama QB conundrum in a nutshell. That program would be dominant with an absolute game manager (not to say game managers can't find success in the NFL in the right situation [looking at you, Mac Jones]). John Parker Wilson would've found Heisman level success had he been an Alabama QB between 2015 and now instead of 2005. Not to say every 1 year starter at an Alabama is bound to fail, I just have a hard time buying in. And that's at a school with all the talent in the world. 

Take a guy at a middling school and give me 1 good year, early on, and I'm not touching that hype train. 

As for NFL 1 year hype..... absolutely. It's arguably worse than preseason hype lol.

It's weird to me. There've been years where I don't feel like the talent was there in the QB Class, but this year it just feels like a crapshoot.... There's a fairly decent number of promising young guys there, but none of them is really standing out form the pack. Every time it feels like one steps up, they walk it back.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's crazy to me. Particularly in college, where one season often leads to all sorts of differences in competition. A guy has a huge season, sure, but what of his opposing competition just happened to be down? Etc. 

That can only go so far, of course, since most guys start for like 2 years, maybe 3, but boy do people salivate over 1. 

I think it's fair to salivate over 1 year if a player has been good and then takes a major leap in their final season. But everything has to be viewed on a case by case basis, especially with QB's. Kyler Murray wasn't even considered an NFL prospect going into his final college season but outplayed expectations, went #1, and has been very good so far. Josh Allen wasn't very good in his final season but was elite in year 3. Justin Herbert didn't really make the leap people expected him to in his senior season and has been good so far. 

When you're evaluating QB's and look at the guys who have been successful it's typically the guys with elite physical traits, strong arms and good mobility, that need more time to develop like Kyler, Allen, Mahomes, Dak, Wilson, etc. 

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'll never forget the Hackenburg hype. I don't trust 1 year wonders anymore. It's the Alabama QB conundrum in a nutshell. That program would be dominant with an absolute game manager (not to say game managers can't find success in the NFL in the right situation [looking at you, Mac Jones]). John Parker Wilson would've found Heisman level success had he been an Alabama QB between 2015 and now instead of 2005. Not to say every 1 year starter at an Alabama is bound to fail, I just have a hard time buying in. And that's at a school with all the talent in the world. 

Take a guy at a middling school and give me 1 good year, early on, and I'm not touching that hype train. 

As for NFL 1 year hype..... absolutely. It's arguably worse than preseason hype lol.

Kyler Murray

Joe Burrow

Zach Wilson

Trey Lance

Mac Jones

Times are a changing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Kyler Murray

Joe Burrow

Zach Wilson

Trey Lance

Mac Jones

Times are a changing.

Murray is an outlier with this group because he wasn't even planning to play football after college but played his way into being selected #1. Zach Wilson and Joe Burrow were both multi-year starters that just weren't very good early in their careers and then elevated their draft stock with unreal final seasons. Lance's situation was also an outlier because he was a 1 year starter but only got a chance to play 1 game as a sophomore due to covid. And Mac Jones was behind a top 10 pick QB but played well when he had to fill in for him before taking over as the full time starter in his final season. 

Of the 32 starting QB's in the league I think Murray/Jones are the only 2 that were only 1 year college starters but Mac had started games the year prior. 

16 hours ago, Danger said:

It's weird to me. There've been years where I don't feel like the talent was there in the QB Class, but this year it just feels like a crapshoot.... There's a fairly decent number of promising young guys there, but none of them is really standing out form the pack. Every time it feels like one steps up, they walk it back.

It reminds me of the 2011 and 2013 draft classes. Obviously in 2011 Cam Newton had an insane season and eventually went number 1. But after him the other 3 QB's taken in the first round were Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, and Jake Locker. With Kapernick and Dalton going in the early 2nd. And in 2013 EJ Manuel was the only QB taken in the 1st round with Geno Smith being the second QB selected in the 2nd round. 

As of right now the only QB that fits the typical first round mold (multi year productive starter at a major program) is Sam Howell. Spencer Rattler will likely be a 1st round pick if he declares as well assuming he can pick it up a little bit the rest of the season. 

Malik Willis has a chance to be the first QB taken and looks like a legit prospect. He has a strong arm and is such a good athlete when looking to run/moving around in the pocket. He has been excellent through 3 games, it's just been against mediocre competition. I'm excited to see him play against Ole Miss and Matt Corral later in the season.