Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

30 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What with Super Bowl winning QBs Wilson, Rodgers and Brees along with current MVP front runner…I thinks it’s substantial

theres plenty of 6’5’ QBs who have never been successful. I’m saying it helps but not a deal breaker if good enough 

Brees was the exception until Russ, and Russ is the exception until Kyler.  Thats three QBs in a 20 year span that have been under 6'2" and done well.  Rodgers is 6'2" (see in the next post I adjusted a little).  Those are odds I don't like.  So if I have a choice of a bunch of guys above 6'2" or a 6' Willis, I am taking the bigger guys if they are close.  Not saying you have to be a giant, but there is definitely still correlation between height and success in the NFL with the occasional outlier.   

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Brees was the exception until Russ, and Russ is the exception until Kyler.  Thats three QBs in a 20 year span that have been under 6'2" and done well.  Rodgers is 6'2" (see in the next post I adjusted a little).  Those are odds I don't like.  So if I have a choice of a bunch of guys above 6'2" or a 6' Willis, I am taking the bigger guys if they are close.  Not saying you have to be a giant, but there is definitely still correlation between height and success in the NFL with the occasional outlier.   

Or is it that the teams have tended to like tall Qbs over short QBs.  Wilson fell to the 3rd round.  Brees to the 2nd.  So there is some height prejudice in the league or was.  A lot of short Qbs in this draft.

QB draft-eligibles worth talking about, sorted by height:
Cole Kelley 6061 260
Tyler Shough 6046 221
Jeff Undercuffler 6042 231
Phil Jurkovec 6041 226
Aqeel Glass 6036 215
Des Ridder 6026 215
Grayson McCall 6026 200
Carson Strong 6025 215
Will Levis 6021 232
Kedon Slovis 6021 200
Kenny Pickett 6016 220
Eric Schmid 6010 180
Kaleb Eleby 6010 215
Bailey Zappe 6010 215
Dorian Thompson-Robinson 6006 200
Tanner Morgan 6015 215
Sam Howell 6006 225
Malik Willis 6005 215
Matt Corral 6005 205
Spencer Rattler 6002 205
Jake Haener 6002 195
Eric Barriere 5112 200

Personally, I like Kelly, Willis and McCall.  Barriere looks special.  Corral could/should go higher but I still think he gets knocked due to his height.

Edited by jebrick

23 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Jurkovec is my top choice for guy drafted after round 2 who could become an ok starter

I like him also but hard to have a ton of faith in the guy when he has only played two games this year.  Would have loved to see him play a complete season before I would draft him in the 2nd round.  Has a ton of talent but two games this year is a massive question mark on what is he like now after surgery, and apparently will be out the rest of this season.

Brock Purdy and Dorian Thompson-Robinson are two after the 2nd round who could be decent with some time to develop, Purdy has a very high skill set just does not have a ton of h high end raw talent but as a starter could be solid if given a chance.  

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Willis looks like the only first rounder to me after giving him, Corral, and Strong cursory glances. He's not a guy you wanna trade up for, but I would probably pick him if I were the Texans/Lions over Thibodeaux.

I am not sure I would take any of these QBs over Neal or Stingley as well as Thibodeaux

Just now, jebrick said:

I am not sure I would take any of these QBs over Neal or Stingley as well as Thibodeaux

I feel like drafting a single good non-QB to teams like the Lions and Texans is like throwing a stone in the ocean. It's more likely that player will be traded away to the Rams in a few years than he helps the team get any better.

• Like 1

I feel you have several players that are like Allen or Trey Lance which is high ceiling and low floors.  There is no High Ceiling/High floor like Lawrence or even high floor like Mac Jones.  Lots of, what I call, developmental QBs in this draft which are the high Ceiling and low floors. 

If you take Willis in the top 10 there is a chance he never develops.  Riddler has a hitch that needs fixing and is, perhaps the safest QB.  Corral should be higher but his height will knock him down.  Howell might push up there because of  workouts but I do not hear anyone really excited about him.

On 10/30/2021 at 3:19 AM, NYRaider said:

He was just pounding his chest about how Spencer Rattler is a first round prospect days before he got benched, lol.

Was I?  I'm not sure I'd have a QB with a first round grade this year.  Malik Willis piques my interest in terms of upside, but I'm not sure I'm ready to use a top 10 pick on him.  And I still do think if Rattler declared today, there is still a decent chance he'd go in the first round.  His "bad" tape is still better then most players good tape.  I'm not saying he's a good prospect by any means, but it only takes one team to like him and QBs tend to get overvalued on draft day.

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Brock Purdy and Dorian Thompson-Robinson are two after the 2nd round who could be decent with some time to develop, Purdy has a very high skill set just does not have a ton of h high end raw talent but as a starter could be solid if given a chance.  

Purdy is awful.  He's a Day 3 pick.  DTR might be interesting in terms of tools, but I don't think he'll ever put it together.  Maybe someone takes him early Day 3 hoping to potentially develop something out of him, but it's unlikely he's ever a starting QB in the NFL.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Was I?  I'm not sure I'd have a QB with a first round grade this year.  Malik Willis piques my interest in terms of upside, but I'm not sure I'm ready to use a top 10 pick on him.  And I still do think if Rattler declared today, there is still a decent chance he'd go in the first round.  His "bad" tape is still better then most players good tape.  I'm not saying he's a good prospect by any means, but it only takes one team to like him and QBs tend to get overvalued on draft day.

I find it HIGHLY unlikely that any team would spend a first on a guy who has been benched both seasons of college, and is currently riding it now. The upside and good tape is not plentiful enough to ignore that massive red flag. Especially when the team has been significantly better without him.

From an evaluation standpoint, there's not a single day 1 QB in this draft but I still think 3 or 4 of them end up going round 1. I still have Strong as my #1 guy but the medicals on that knee aren't going to be good so there's little to no chance he goes day 1 no matter how well he plays. If I had a day 1 pick and needed a QB, Ridder is definitely the guy I'm gambling on, and I've said as much prior. The combination of tools and upside is enough to make it a worthy investment. Anybody that takes Kenny Pickett round one is setting themselves up to be not GM anymore. His arm simply isn't good enough to make NFL throws consistently and this season is fool's gold. Use the track record and don't overly rely on the super senior tape vs a weak schedule. He'll be a good back-up tho. I do wonder if Jake Haener gets buzz despite the size but I doubt it.

1. Carson Strong (Nevada)
2. Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati)
3. Matt Corral (Ole Miss)
4. Malik Willis (Liberty)
5. Jake Haener (Fresno State)
6. Eric Barriere (Eastern Washington)
7. Sam Howell (North Carolina)
8. Bailey Zappe (Western Kentucky)
9. Cole Kelley (Southeastern Louisiana)
10. Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh)

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Anyone who paid any attention last year had Rattler top 5 coming into this season.  The dude can sling the football, granted has not played great this year but I would not call his career over just yet.  He still has very high end arm talent and maybe a new environment could do him good, so will see if he transfers to another school but one would think he would need to enter the portal now and get that process started.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Purdy is awful.  He's a Day 3 pick.  DTR might be interesting in terms of tools, but I don't think he'll ever put it together.  Maybe someone takes him early Day 3 hoping to potentially develop something out of him, but it's unlikely he's ever a starting QB in the NFL.

If Trevor Siemian can stick around the NFL there is no reason Brock Purdy cannot do the same, probably will start out as a backup but in the right system he could do just fine and maybe be a starter in time.  He did things as a true freshman most could never pull off at such a young age, sure has not progressed like he should have or reached his full potential but not like Iowa State is some powerhouse here.  Sure Hall is good but that WR core is very weak and the OL is nothing great either.  

Purdy looked great with David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler on the roster back a few years ago.  And those are the only real two notable NFL draft picks from Iowa State in seven years, well only draft picks outside of Kene Nwangwu but I did not include him because he is still quite unproven as an all around player and will see if he does anything in the return game.   

Purdy is #1 all time at Iowa State in yards and touchdowns and it is not even really close, so doing what he has done at a pretty weak program is impressive I must say regardless.  And the kid has won games at Iowa State usually they would never win, sure Campbell has a lot to do with it but so does Brock Purdy.