Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

26 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Mac Jones is a big reason the Patriots have come back this season. Their skill talent is not better than Philly's. He's playing nearly identical to a rookie Matt Ryan.

But agreed that Philly is definitely not looking for another QB this off season.

Mind you gentleman that I made that comment on December 8th, where the previous four weeks he threw for 115 yards, 103 and 162 yards in a four weeks span where they went 1 and 3.   Following that he threw for 178, 147 and 129 yards granted the last two he threw for 296 and 199 in two wins so good for him.

Maybe he is just finding his stride but to pretend he has not totally sucked at times this year, well he has.  Granted he still has time to improve.  There is no way QB is totally off the table for the Eagles unless they love Minshew or something and want to sign him long term which I doubt.  They still need another QB potentially as a backup or a developmental guy.

Edited by Ozzy

3 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Mac Jones is a big reason the Patriots have come back this season. Their skill talent is not better than Philly's. He's playing nearly identical to a rookie Matt Ryan.

But agreed that Philly is definitely not looking for another QB this off season.

In the 4 games against the Saints, Bills, Cowboys, and Colts where he was asked to throw the ball to keep them in the game he had 5 TD/8 INT.

Just now, jrry32 said:

And last year?

Last year with 2 RB's that produced 1,500+ APY, were selected highly in the draft and balled out as rookies, plus a 1,000 yard WR that was a third round pick? Does sound like Baker, with two elite RB's he can be above average, without them he's terrible.

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Last year with 2 RB's that produced 1,500+ APY, were selected highly in the draft and balled out as rookies, plus a 1,000 yard WR that was a third round pick? Does sound like Baker, with two elite RB's he can be above average, without them he's terrible.

The Browns are averaging 144.9 rushing yards per game and 5.1 yards per carry this year. Last year, the Browns averaged 148.4 rushing yards per game and 4.8 yards per carry. Have you considered alternate causes? Like Mayfield playing through a significant shoulder injury? 

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The Browns are averaging 144.9 rushing yards per game and 5.1 yards per carry this year. Last year, the Browns averaged 148.4 rushing yards per game and 4.8 yards per carry. Have you considered alternate causes? Like Mayfield playing through a significant shoulder injury? 

That and the offensive line. He's really, really bad against pressure lol. Always has been. Not sure that is something that will turn around or not. I think Baker is a competent QB even with an average run game. But if the oline is a mess he's going to be lost. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

That and the offensive line. He's really, really bad against pressure lol. Always has been. Not sure that is something that will turn around or not. I think Baker is a competent QB even with an average run game. But if the oline is a mess he's going to be lost. 

Whatever the reason, your odds of hitting on a QB in the late 1st to early 2nd range aren't very good. Getting a Baker Mayfield is actually good bang for your buck. Nobody thought the Bengals whiffed when they got Andy Dalton in the early 2nd. It's better to have that than be one of the teams that don't have a competent QB. If you give Howell an OL, he can win you games.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Whatever the reason, your odds of hitting on a QB in the late 1st to early 2nd range aren't very good. Getting a Baker Mayfield is actually good bang for your buck. Nobody thought the Bengals whiffed when they got Andy Dalton in the early 2nd. It's better to have that than be one of the teams that don't have a competent QB. If you give Howell an OL, he can win you games.

I think Baker in that area is fine. 2nd round has been a bit of a black hole for quarterbacks since that Jimmy G / Derek Carr year. 

I think Willis is the safest QB prospect in this draft. He has a very impressive arm and has good, natural accuracy. More importantly, he is an excellent runner. His stop start and long speed would be impressive if he were just a running back. Guys with his general profile have at least being okay in the NFL as of late. I think his closest comp is a plus Tyrod Taylor. And, I prefer his skills to Jalen Hurts, so I wouldn't be surprise to see him have similar type success in the NFL.

40 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think Willis is the safest QB prospect in this draft. He has a very impressive arm and has good, natural accuracy. More importantly, he is an excellent runner. His stop start and long speed would be impressive if he were just a running back. Guys with his general profile have at least being okay in the NFL as of late. I think his closest comp is a plus Tyrod Taylor. And, I prefer his skills to Jalen Hurts, so I wouldn't be surprise to see him have similar type success in the NFL.

Hard for me to say somebody is a safe QB when he struggles reading the defense and turns the ball over like crazy. RGIII, Marcus Mariota, Jake Locker, Vince Young, and Johnny Manziel are extremely athletic QBs who didn't pan out. Could also point to Terrelle Pryor and Pat White. I'm not writing Malik Willis off, to be clear. He's intriguing on Day 2. Just saying that I wouldn't call him safe.

19 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Hard for me to say somebody is a safe QB when he struggles reading the defense and turns the ball over like crazy. RGIII, Marcus Mariota, Jake Locker, Vince Young, and Johnny Manziel are extremely athletic QBs who didn't pan out. Could also point to Terrelle Pryor and Pat White. I'm not writing Malik Willis off, to be clear. He's intriguing on Day 2. Just saying that I wouldn't call him safe.

Safe doesn't mean he's going to be a slam dunk success. It means I think he's the likeliest to be productive in the NFL from this class. I think he's right there with Pickett and Corral as a prospect, and I think he's the safest bet to produce--especially early--despite not necessary having the highest upside.

Being as good as he is at running means he doesn't have to be good at reading defenses to be successful (i.e. Hurts level success). Willis would enter the league being one of the most skilled runners at the position, maybe even at any position, while also having on of the most impressive arms. I think it's pretty easy to imagine an offense being tailored around that skillset, and him being at least productive early on in the NFL.

And, I would not call those examples "as of late" or necessarily good examples against my argument. A bunch of those guys (RGIII, Mariota, Young) had at least moderate success that their pocket QB counterparts did not. I also would consider their skillsets to be pretty disparate from each other and from Willis.

And, when I refer to running QB, I mean a QB who's ability as a running stands out regardless of position (e.g. Jackson, Hurts, Murray). Athletic doesn't necessarily mean running QB in this context. And, I don't evaluate those types of players the same way I would a non-running QB. Of the players you listed, I would only consider Pryor and White as running QBs--and I believe neither were as prominent of prospects as Willis will be (White wasn't even drafted as a QB, if I remember correctly). I don't think any of the other players, had they played another position, would have stood out to me as being particularly impressive runners.