Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 12/6/2021 at 6:24 AM, THE DUKE said:

Who all needs a QB?

Atlanta? (Groom a replacement for Matty Ice)
Carolina
Detroit (could roll one more year with Goff and groom a QB)
Houston
New Orleans (If i'm them i'm not settling with Jameis or Hill)
New York Giants
Pittsburgh
Seattle? (Embrace the rebuild and deal Russ?)
Tampa Bay (Groom a replacement for Tom? Doubt they go rd 1 though)
Washington? (Roll with Heinicke?)

The Raiders could be in the market for a QB depending on what we decide to do with Carr this offseason. 

On 12/5/2021 at 4:45 PM, jebrick said:

I would be really nervous with Pickett.  It is not that he moved to another team to get a chance to start.  It is his 5th year in the same system.

Narduzzi was still in the process of rebuilding the program and this is the year that they really just took off. Joe Burrow wasn't great during his first season at LSU.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Narduzzi was still in the process of rebuilding the program and this is the year that they really just took off. Joe Burrow wasn't great during his first season at LSU.

Joe Burrow, in his 1st season in a new system was not that good.  Pickett, in his 4th season of the same system was not that good.  YMMV but I think he is a career backup.

• 2 weeks later...

Malik Willis Stats, News, Bio | ESPNCarson Strong Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett won't play in the Peach Bowl | TribLIVE.com

Desmond Ridder Stats & Fantasy Ranking - PlayerProfilerMatt Corral Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Bailey Zappe - Football - Western Kentucky University Athletics

Which of these dudes looks like they were made for post game interviews after a win in the NFL?

Willis?
Strong?
Pickett?
Ridder?
Corral?
Zappe?

Carson Strong has the Josh Allen thing going where he looks so average/vanilla that you would never look twice at him/notice him if you saw him in public. Zappe too sort of. Ridder is close to being ugly, so hard to see him succeeding even though I arguably like his tape the most out of the QB's with at least 9" hands. He might just need a new hairstyle. Corral looks like the dude that tries to bang your girl the moment you go to the bathroom at a club.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Malik Willis Stats, News, Bio | ESPNCarson Strong Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett won't play in the Peach Bowl | TribLIVE.com

Desmond Ridder Stats & Fantasy Ranking - PlayerProfilerMatt Corral Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Bailey Zappe - Football - Western Kentucky University Athletics

Which of these dudes looks like they were made for post game interviews after a win in the NFL?

Willis?
Strong?
Pickett?
Ridder?
Corral?
Zappe?

Carson Strong has the Josh Allen thing going where he looks so average/vanilla that you would never look twice at him/notice him if you saw him in public. Zappe too sort of. Ridder is close to being ugly, so hard to see him succeeding even though I arguably like his tape the most out of the QB's with at least 9" hands. He might just need a new hairstyle. Corral looks like the dude that tries to bang your girl the moment you go to the bathroom at a club.

Pickett gets the nod here. He has versatile hair--he can go long, medium, or short. As we have seen in the past (Herbert, Brady, Rodgers), hair versatility goes a long way in the press room. Corral looks like the type to leverage a rare big stat prime time performance into a "I felt dangerous today" type quote with merch to go along with it. Ultimately, he has the look of the "will they won't they" type where his good performances dupe a team into exercising that 5th year option. Desmond Ridder is the real wildcard here. Interracial vibes are good for the q-score, but it's counterbalanced with textbook Trae Young male pattern patchness. Willis is the safe bet here--friendly face and smile; though, eyes are a tough close together--could be the precursor of Tyrod Taylor-esque career. Carson Strong and Zappe have major backup QB energy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Pickett gets the nod here. He has versatile hair--he can go long, medium, or short. As we have seen in the past (Herbert, Brady, Rodgers), hair versatility goes a long way in the press room. Corral looks like the type to leverage a rare big stat prime time performance into a "I felt dangerous today" type quote with merch to go along with it. Ultimately, he has the look of the "will they won't they" type where his good performances dupe a team into exercising that 5th year option. Desmond Ridder is the real wildcard here. Interracial vibes are good for the q-score, but it's counterbalanced with textbook Trae Young male pattern patchness. Willis is the safe bet here--friendly face and smile; though, eyes are a tough close together--could be the precursor of Tyrod Taylor-esque career. Carson Strong and Zappe have major backup QB energy.

Pickett already has the under eye bags of CM Punk, which is a bit concerning.

I took a look at the guys considered the Tier 2 QBs recently. (It seems like Corral and Pickett are the ones most often mocked in the first round.) My basic thoughts on those guys:

• Sam Howell - My favorite of the bunch. He is best off finding a situation where he can sit. He needs to develop his pocket movement, stop the drifting, and stop the ball patting. Pocket presence and poise under pressure are the clear weaknesses. But he doesn't lack toughness and made plays under pressure, so I think there's room to grow. He's a very natural thrower of the football, improvises well, and sees the field well. He reminds me of Tony Romo. Doesn't have any standout physical trait, but I think the sum of the parts will make him a productive NFL QB.
  • Carson Strong - His lack of mobility and decision making under pressure are the biggest problems for me. He throws a beautiful ball. Falls too in love with his deep ball at times. Quick release. Poised. Generally knows where he's going with the ball. Feels like a poor man's Matt Ryan to me. Think he could be a starter for you in the right circumstances. If you can protect him and put talent around him, he can do the job. He's just not the sort of dude who can elevate just about any team imo. He needs the right situation.
  • Desmond Ridder - He has great physical traits. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes far higher than some expect because of those traits. When he's feeling it, he's looks like a really special player. But what sunk him for me is that he simply didn't look natural standing in the pocket and delivering. He looked overly mechanical and tightly wound. On too many plays, it felt to me like he was throwing where he did because that's what he was told to do. I don't know how to explain it. It just felt like he didn't have conviction in what he was doing. I don't have much tolerance for QBs who can't consistently hit the layups, and Ridder gets hit with too many bouts of inaccuracy for my taste. He looked most natural to me when he was on the move or improvising. Maybe a team can coach the inaccuracy out of him, but he's probably going well before I'd take the risk.
  • Malik Willis - He's fun as hell to watch. Strong arm with easy velocity. Great athlete. Can make some "wow" throws. But he is a long ways off from being a reliable NFL starter. He's far too turnover prone, and that Liberty offense is far too simplistic with its reads. Malik also needs to develop better touch and better field vision. He predetermines throws and forces it whether or not it's there. Led to way too many turnover-worthy plays. Watching him reminded me of Kordell "Slash" Stewart. I hope a NFL team does get all the kinks in his game ironed out, because he's such a fun guy to watch. That all said, I think he needs time on the bench, and I think you need an offensive coach willing to develop a system entirely around his unique skillset (like Baltimore did with Lamar).
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, Ozzy said:

Ummm Philadelphia much?  They need another QB big time, sure Hurts is ok but has really sucked recently and is pretty damn limited at QB.  If not in the 1st round they simply need another QB, but maybe they are comfortable with Minshew as the guy instead of Hurts.

Hurts is on the verge of leading Philly to the playoffs this season despite very little talent at WR.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:17 AM, jebrick said:

Joe Burrow, in his 1st season in a new system was not that good.  Pickett, in his 4th season of the same system was not that good.  YMMV but I think he is a career backup.

Joe Burrow was in a new system but he was playing with CEH, Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase, Terrance Marshall, and Foster Moreau. All guys that went on to become highly selected and productive NFL players, JJ/Chase have a chance to be All-Pro WRs this year. Pitt doesn't even have another offensive player that will be drafted this year. 

Burrow had arguably the best season in college football history so obviously Pickett wasn't as good but he was still a Heisman finalist and raised his game to a completely different level. 

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I took a look at the guys considered the Tier 2 QBs recently. (It seems like Corral and Pickett are the ones most often mocked in the first round.) My basic thoughts on those guys:

• Sam Howell - My favorite of the bunch. He is best off finding a situation where he can sit. He needs to develop his pocket movement, stop the drifting, and stop the ball patting. Pocket presence and poise under pressure are the clear weaknesses. But he doesn't lack toughness and made plays under pressure, so I think there's room to grow. He's a very natural thrower of the football, improvises well, and sees the field well. He reminds me of Tony Romo. Doesn't have any standout physical trait, but I think the sum of the parts will make him a productive NFL QB.

Baker Mayfield Jr

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hurts is on the verge of leading Philly to the playoffs this season despite very little talent at WR.

Could say the same thing for Mac Jones then who has better stats passing but has struggled lately, Hurts has not played as bad recently.  Either way Philly has one of the best OL coaches in the NFL, a talented group there, one of the better TEs in the NFL and DeVonta Smith, Watkins and Reagor are not great but are limited some what based on the passing of Hurts.  It works for them and good for Philly but DeVonta Smith could of had a better rookie year in a different situation with a different QB.  Hurts is absolutely limited as a passer but what he brings in terms of QB running and leadership helps him a great deal and that team.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Could say the same thing for Mac Jones then who has better stats passing but has struggled lately, Hurts has not played as bad recently.  Either way Philly has one of the best OL coaches in the NFL, a talented group there, one of the better TEs in the NFL and DeVonta Smith, Watkins and Reagor are not great but are limited some what based on the passing of Hurts.  It works for them and good for Philly but DeVonta Smith could of had a better rookie year in a different situation with a different QB.  Hurts is absolutely limited as a passer but what he brings in terms of QB running and leadership helps him a great deal and that team.

Mac Jones has been carried by the Patriots great coaching, run game, and defense. Any time he has had to make plays throwing the ball to keep them in games he has absolutely crumbled. Jalen is definitely limited as a passer right now but he has been asked to essentially carry the Eagles offense all season with a young, mid-tier WR group (outside of Smith) and a rookie head coach. He's likely going to finish with around 3,400 passing yards and over 1,000 rushing yards this season. If you put any of the rookie QB's in Jalen Hurts situation they would've crumbled and the Eagles would've been one of the worst teams in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mac Jones has been carried by the Patriots great coaching, run game, and defense. Any time he has had to make plays throwing the ball to keep them in games he has absolutely crumbled.

Mac Jones is a big reason the Patriots have come back this season. Their skill talent is not better than Philly's. He's playing nearly identical to a rookie Matt Ryan.

But agreed that Philly is definitely not looking for another QB this off season.