Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 1/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, jrry32 said:

He looked good to me. Despite losing two NFL WRs and HBs and playing behind a shaky OL, he accounted for 35 TDs and nearly 4000 yards. And his passing efficiency was quite solid. What impressed me was his ability to completely reinvent himself this year to compensate what UNC lost and what UNC needed him to be.

Howell has his flaws. Physically, he doesn't have the highest ceiling. But he does a lot of things well that translate to the NFL. Put him on the right team, give him time to develop and work on his flaws, and I think you have yourself a solid to good QB. Considering his current projection (late first to early second round), you can do a lot worse than that. I'll be interested in seeing how he does at the Senior Bowl.

One thing that did impress me about Howell was his mobility this year, dud can definitely make an impact with his legs. 

Malik Willis keeps growing on me. Don't get me wrong, he's extremely raw mentally. But I think if you give him a chance to develop and are willing to build a system around him, he has a real chance to be a special QB. The interviews would have to check out for me, though.

It's just hard to overlook a guy who has similar physical attributes to Kyler. He's not quite the runner that Lamar is, but I think he's the runner that Kyler is. Willis is a tad bigger, but they're similar in terms of speed, acceleration, elusiveness, and arm strength. Kyler was just a lot more polished technically and mentally coming out.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Malik Willis keeps growing on me. Don't get me wrong, he's extremely raw mentally. But I think if you give him a chance to develop and are willing to build a system around him, he has a real chance to be a special QB. The interviews would have to check out for me, though.

It's just hard to overlook a guy who has similar physical attributes to Kyler. He's not quite the runner that Lamar is, but I think he's the runner that Kyler is. Willis is a tad bigger, but they're similar in terms of speed, acceleration, elusiveness, and arm strength. Kyler was just a lot more polished technically and mentally coming out.

You have got me on the Sam Howell hype train, lmao. I actually like him now. 

Willis reminds me of a super charged Jalen Hurts. Pretty much identical in terms of physical profile but Willis is a much more dynamic runner and has a much stronger arm. Funny enough Hurts started at Alabama, transferred to Oklahoma and then was drafted highly. Willis started at Auburn, transferred to Liberty, and will now be drafted highly. 

Whoever drafts him will have to be okay with him sitting for a year before potentially stepping into a starting role. Like we've seen with Jalen Hurts and Trey Lance over the last two years although both were eventually forced into action later in the season. 

I think that Detroit with either their second 1st round pick or their pick at the top of the 2nd round could be a nice fit for him. They already have Jared Goff under contract and they're rebuilding so they could afford to be patient with him. And from a personnel standpoint they have a decent young OL and some interesting weapons with guys like Swift, Hockenson, and St. Brown.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 4:24 AM, THE DUKE said:

At this point I don't think Tua is going anywhere, he's progressing.

I think A-A-Ron and GB patch things up

The rest I can see on the move, although I still think Cleveland sticks with Baker, but they maybe shouldn't.

I still think there's a very real possibility that the Dolphins trade for Watson and move Tua to another QB needy team in the process. Their owner seems determined to land Watson and I just don't think Tua did enough to ensure 100% job security. The team got hot against an extremely soft schedule and in his 10 full starts he averaged less then 7 Y/A, had 15 TD/10 INT, and was pretty limited passing deep. 

I agree that Rodgers will likely be back in GB or enjoying retirement. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You have got me on the Sam Howell hype train, lmao. I actually like him now. 

Willis reminds me of a super charged Jalen Hurts. Pretty much identical in terms of physical profile but Willis is a much more dynamic runner and has a much stronger arm. Funny enough Hurts started at Alabama, transferred to Oklahoma and then was drafted highly. Willis started at Auburn, transferred to Liberty, and will now be drafted highly. 

Whoever drafts him will have to be okay with him sitting for a year before potentially stepping into a starting role. Like we've seen with Jalen Hurts and Trey Lance over the last two years although both were eventually forced into action later in the season. 

I think that Detroit with either their second 1st round pick or their pick at the top of the 2nd round could be a nice fit for him. They already have Jared Goff under contract and they're rebuilding so they could afford to be patient with him. And from a personnel standpoint they have a decent young OL and some interesting weapons with guys like Swift, Hockenson, and St. Brown.

I still like Howell. Thinks he's a cleaner eval than Willis. Less risky. And I agree on Detroit. Campbell has an identity, and that identity seems to be built around a robust rushing attack. Sit Willis behind Goff for a year and then build a system around Willis and the running game.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I still like Howell. Thinks he's a cleaner eval than Willis. Less risky. And I agree on Detroit. Campbell has an identity, and that identity seems to be built around a robust rushing attack. Sit Willis behind Goff for a year and then build a system around Willis and the running game.

Yeah I agree that Howell has a higher floor, I think at worst he's at least a high end backup. Willis could be a star or he could flame out of the league fairly quickly. I just really wasn't a fan of Howell at all but watching him more, I can see why people are high on him, especially in a weak QB group. 

Yeah Detroit seems like it would be an amazing fit for him. And we've seen teams like Baltimore (Flacco/Lamar) and Philadelphia (Wentz/Hurts) move from a traditional pocket passer to a dual threat QB with ease.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Height isn't an issue during my eval of Corral.

What is the issue in your mind?

My concerns are his size, possibly leading to injuries. Especially with his playing style. And arm strength, i dont think he has a noodle. But its probably just average imo.

1 minute ago, Eric dunn said:

What is the issue in your mind?

My concerns are his size, possibly leading to injuries. Especially with his playing style. And arm strength, i dont think he has a noodle. But its probably just average imo.

He's Trubisky all over again.  He's shown all the ability to make the NFL throws, but he's also coming out of an offensive system very similar to the one that Art Briles ran at Baylor.  His decision making isn't great when he's not doing a one-read look, and his accuracy has some issues too.  LIS, this is a bad QB class and there's not a single one I'd use a FRP on.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 9:38 PM, jrry32 said:

Willis is QB1 in my mind.  Not because he's the best QB in this class, but because he's the only QB in this class that looks like he could grow into a legit QB1.  This is a class full of journeyman, and he's a boom or bust.

Pickett is a 24 year old with a meh arm.  I think he's pretty close to his ceiling already.

Corral looks very much like a product of his system more than anything else.

Ridder, I only saw against Bama, and he was clearly overwhelmed, but it didn't look like it was entirely because his supporting cast let him down.

Howell is a not super prolific passer in an air raid offense, but I guess he can run?  If he's athletic enough, he could have the needed upside.

Strong I haven't watched at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's Trubisky all over again.  He's shown all the ability to make the NFL throws, but he's also coming out of an offensive system very similar to the one that Art Briles ran at Baylor.  His decision making isn't great when he's not doing a one-read look, and his accuracy has some issues too.  LIS, this is a bad QB class and there's not a single one I'd use a FRP on.

Considerably better runner than Mitch though. ..it's why he feels like another Mariota.

Edited by BrownLeader

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Willis is QB1 in my mind.  Not because he's the best QB in this class, but because he's the only QB in this class that looks like he could grow into a legit QB1.  This is a class full of journeyman, and he's a boom or bust.

Pickett is a 24 year old with a meh arm.  I think he's pretty close to his ceiling already.

Corral looks very much like a product of his system more than anything else.

Ridder, I only saw against Bama, and he was clearly overwhelmed, but it didn't look like it was entirely because his supporting cast let him down.

Howell is a not super prolific passer in an air raid offense, but I guess he can run?  If he's athletic enough, he could have the needed upside.

Strong I haven't watched at all.

I think Ridder can develop into a #1 too. He needs to sit a year. I think he and Willis might be the only ones.