Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

12 hours ago, jebrick said:

Some more data for everyone.  This guy charted every throw of this year’s QB class and ranks the accuracy of each QB according to the category of the throw: deep, outside numbers, over the middle, and dink n dunk.

https://www.risendraft.com/features-articles/2022-quarterback-charting

that 6th guy down is pretty impressive… 😎

4 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Who is/was a better QB prospect, Jordan Love or Malik Willis?

I'd take Malik Willis without much hesitation. There are some concerns with accuracy from both and they seemed to each have a "down year" in their final season compared to the hype they had going into their final season. That said, Willis is a much better athlete and has more arm talent to work with. I'd rather take a risk on him than Love.

37 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I'd take Malik Willis without much hesitation. There are some concerns with accuracy from both and they seemed to each have a "down year" in their final season compared to the hype they had going into their final season. That said, Willis is a much better athlete and has more arm talent to work with. I'd rather take a risk on him than Love.

Shiny new toy syndrome incoming.

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I agree it's not close Willis is clearly the better prospect. 

Context means a TON when you're evaluating prospect.  Malik Willis was a 22 year old QB who put up solid albeit unspectacular numbers for Liberty.  The only two "quality" opponents they faced were Ole Miss and Louisiana-Lafayette where he completed less then 50% of his passes, and 2 TDs to 5 INTs.  Jordan Love was a year younger and lost almost his entire offensive staff and HC from the previous year.  Jordan Love's sophomore year was better then anything that Willis posted, and his poor junior year was a byproduct of poor supporting cast along with him pushing the envelope.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Context means a TON when you're evaluating prospect.  Malik Willis was a 22 year old QB who put up solid albeit unspectacular numbers for Liberty.  The only two "quality" opponents they faced were Ole Miss and Louisiana-Lafayette where he completed less then 50% of his passes, and 2 TDs to 5 INTs.  Jordan Love was a year younger and lost almost his entire offensive staff and HC from the previous year.  Jordan Love's sophomore year was better then anything that Willis posted, and his poor junior year was a byproduct of poor supporting cast along with him pushing the envelope.

I'm judging them off traits, not who put up the best college stats. Willis looks to be the better prospect from what I saw from both of them. Never was high on Love though as a prospect (his play for the Packers certainly left a lot to be desired this year as well). I think both were/are risky prospects, but I'll take the gamble on Willis with his rare athleticism and arm talent. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm less and less convinced playing amazingly in college is an absolutely essential part of the evaluation.

A lot of great NFL QBs did, a fair amount didn't. Wouldn't have regarded Mahomes, Brady, Ben as particularly great college players, Allen was flat out bad, Herbert was decent but not an absolute superstar. Traits, football IQ and coachability are more important imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

I'm less and less convinced playing amazingly in college is an absolutely essential part of the evaluation.

A lot of great NFL QBs did, a fair amount didn't. Wouldn't have regarded Mahomes, Brady, Ben as particularly great college players, Allen was flat out bad, Herbert was decent but not an absolute superstar. Traits, football IQ and coachability are more important imo. 

Don't disagree, but all those guys showed football IQ.  I never saw any tape on Willis where he showed anything other than 'if i see this guy is open i throw, if he isn't, I run'.

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'm judging them off traits, not who put up the best college stats. Willis looks to be the better prospect from what I saw from both of them. Never was high on Love though as a prospect (his play for the Packers certainly left a lot to be desired this year as well). I think both were/are risky prospects, but I'll take the gamble on Willis with his rare athleticism and arm talent. 

You're falling in love with tools, and you're going to end up drafting more busts then not.  I get the appeal of Willis, I really do but the notion that he's some really good prospect needs to go away and never come back.  He's got a big arm and he's got legs, but his accuracy isn't very good and his decision making and ability to read defenses just isn't there.  Definitely feel recency bias is playing a LARGE factor here.

34 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Don't disagree, but all those guys showed football IQ.  I never saw any tape on Willis where he showed anything other than 'if i see this guy is open i throw, if he isn't, I run'.

I have seen plenty of tape on Willis to show he reads through his progressions when he has time. The Liberty offense was not  1 read.  when he got pressure or had to scramble, he tucked it and ran rather than scramble and look down field.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You're falling in love with tools, and you're going to end up drafting more busts then not.  I get the appeal of Willis, I really do but the notion that he's some really good prospect needs to go away and never come back.  He's got a big arm and he's got legs, but his accuracy isn't very good and his decision making and ability to read defenses just isn't there.  Definitely feel recency bias is playing a LARGE factor here.

Nope never was high on Love and thought the Packers reached at the time. I'd also note I was very high on Mac Jones last year, so I don't just look at "tools". That said, between Willis and Love, I just like what Willis brings to the table more than Love as they both had red flags coming into the NFL.

Edited by tyler735