Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Haskins was a better prospect than any QB in this class.  Rebuild the lines, see if Tomlin can mold Haskins, and if not, you'll be drafting higher next year anyways.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d50bbed27a1a82fbf7

Now granted the Steelers passing on a QB this year 1st is an option but I would be pretty shocked if not one or two of the guys be it Pickett, Corral, Willis, Strong, Howell or Ridder are not better than Dwyane Haskins.  He was pretty damn bad on the Redskins.

That 2019 draft was pretty suspect at QB outside of Kyler Murray and even he might not be quite as good as some thought now a few years down the road.  

EpyBjZNXcAEdKnS.jpg

But maybe you are with these ladies, all of which were probably paid to be here rooting on a certain someone. Sure Steelers could pass on a QB 1st round and maybe steal Carson Strong in the 2nd which would be a great fit.  Then again QBs will go quickly in the 2nd round with Broncos, Washington, Browns, Saints and Colts all picking ahead of the Steelers assuming most drop into the 2nd round.  

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d50bbed27a1a82fbf7

Now granted the Steelers passing on a QB this year 1st is an option but I would be pretty shocked if not one or two of the guys be it Pickett, Corral, Willis, Strong, Howell or Ridder are not better than Dwyane Haskins.  He was pretty damn bad on the Redskins.

That 2019 draft was pretty suspect at QB outside of Kyler Murray and even he might not be quite as good as some thought now a few years down the road.  

EpyBjZNXcAEdKnS.jpg

But maybe you are with these ladies, all of which were probably paid to be here rooting on a certain someone. Sure Steelers could pass on a QB 1st round and maybe steal Carson Strong in the 2nd which would be a great fit.  Then again QBs will go quickly in the 2nd round with Broncos, Washington, Browns, Saints and Colts all picking ahead of the Steelers assuming most drop into the 2nd round.  

So, I think that if it was Haskins v the field, as you framed your post, I would 100% take the field.  I'm sure one of them will pan out.  Probably. 

However, I think Haskins as a prospect was better 1 v 1 than any of the guys in this class.  Haskins has plenty of talent, he just also had plenty of immaturity.  A couple years learning, a major humbling, and Tomlin on his *** could get that sorted out.  

Let me put it this way, if the Steelers have seen Haskins grow up and put in the work since they claimed him, they should build up around him and give him a shot next year.  Better chance of winning that way than with any of these rookies.

And if Haskins does implode and they fall off a cliff, they'll be better situated to get a QB in 2023 which will be a better class anyways(if only by default).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

So, I think that if it was Haskins v the field, as you framed your post, I would 100% take the field.  I'm sure one of them will pan out.  Probably. 

However, I think Haskins as a prospect was better 1 v 1 than any of the guys in this class.  Haskins has plenty of talent, he just also had plenty of immaturity.  A couple years learning, a major humbling, and Tomlin on his *** could get that sorted out.  

Let me put it this way, if the Steelers have seen Haskins grow up and put in the work since they claimed him, they should build up around him and give him a shot next year.  Better chance of winning that way than with any of these rookies.

And if Haskins does implode and they fall off a cliff, they'll be better situated to get a QB in 2023 which will be a better class anyways(if only by default).

True but one could argue Kenny Pickett is more NFL ready and has more QB knowledge and ability to prepare as a rookie than Haskins has in three years of being in the NFL.  Pickett is more mobile as well so him in the 1st is totally an option, and like I said if Carson Strong falls to them in the 2nd that would be ideal, big arm QB with size and a lot of arm potential.  

They also have Mason Rudolph on the roster who when he got his chances looked better than Haskins looked on Washington which is not saying much but still.  

And I disagree 1 vs 1 as a prospect Haskins is clearly better than any of these guys because he is not.  Haskins just played on a stacked Ohio State team that made him look good.  Think what Willis would have looked like on that Ohio State roster, or Corral or Pickett for that matter not to mention Howell.

Haskins was a product of a circumstance and I was never a huge fan of his coming out anyway obviously.  But sure Steelers could limp by with him but more likely than not Rudolph is the starter not Haskins.  

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

So why would anyone trade for a QB that his current team does not trust with the ball at the end of the game? 

Someone is. They always do. You guys are a good candidate for that. I know Michelle Magdziuk is a Steelers fan and she things it'll be Pittsburgh (even though she can't figure out why lol) 

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Why must the Steelers draft a QB in a poor QB class?  Why not fix the Oline and Dline?  Get a QB next year when there are better prospects.

Fair question.  Why not tank and wait for a better crop?  

The answer is that this isn't a rebuild.  Except for blocking, everything a new QB needs is already there:  WRs, coaching, RB, decent (recently great) defense, 9th in cap space.  This draft is rich in O-Lineman so the team can concentrate on that.  Paradoxically, the fact that this is a flat crop of QBs should allow the Steelers to get one in the second round.  (Of course, if Strong were available at #20 the Steelers could contend immediately.)

QB hype season doesn't start until after the Super Bowl.  The view is likely to change.

Haskins was a better prospect than any QB in this class.

I wouldn't let Haskins attend  a Pittsburgh game, let alone play  in one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

True but one could argue Kenny Pickett is more NFL ready and has more QB knowledge and ability to prepare as a rookie than Haskins has in three years of being in the NFL.  Pickett is more mobile as well so him in the 1st is totally an option, and like I said if Carson Strong falls to them in the 2nd that would be ideal, big arm QB with size and a lot of arm potential.  

They also have Mason Rudolph on the roster who when he got his chances looked better than Haskins looked on Washington which is not saying much but still. 

And I disagree 1 vs 1 as a prospect Haskins is clearly better than any of these guys because he is not.  Haskins just played on a stacked Ohio State team that made him look good.  Think what Willis would have looked like on that Ohio State roster, or Corral or Pickett for that matter not to mention Howell.

Haskins was a product of a circumstance and I was never a huge fan of his coming out anyway obviously.  But sure Steelers could limp by with him but more likely than not Rudolph is the starter not Haskins.  

I think the Steelers would be the only team that would really know because they're the only ones who have seen Haskins in a while.  But you could very well be correct about Pickett.  Issue with Strong is that he would likely need to play before he is ready.

I think we've seen enough of Rudolph in Pitt to know he isn't the long term answer.

I wasn't a big Haskins fan either, but I don't love any of these either.  I /think/ that if Haskins was in this class, I would have him above the others.  A lot of warts on all these guys.  The hindsight of how immature Haskins was and maybe still is is hard to overlook.

12 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Fair question.  Why not tank and wait for a better crop?  

The answer is that this isn't a rebuild.  Except for blocking, everything a new QB needs is already there:  WRs, coaching, RB, decent (recently great) defense, 9th in cap space.  This draft is rich in O-Lineman so the team can concentrate on that.  Paradoxically, the fact that this is a flat crop of QBs should allow the Steelers to get one in the second round.  (Of course, if Strong were available at #20 the Steelers could contend immediately.)

QB hype season doesn't start until after the Super Bowl.  The view is likely to change.

No one said that the Steelers would tank but most think they will do worst.  If you consider that tanking then okay.

The Steelers are so far from contending.  If you do not consider any of the current QBs to be franchise QB, then why draft one?  Especially in the 1st round.  If you are not drafting a 1st round QB you are getting on with risks that make them fall ( i.e. developmental QB). 

They need to get an Oline that will complement Najee's style(RT, OG possibly C).  They need depth on the Dline plus ILBs that can make plays.