Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

Y'all watch the E-W Shrine Game? Jack Coan was impressive. E.J. Perry is also very intriguing as a Day 3 prospect. He's a very good athlete with a reasonably strong arm. Was productive in the Ivy League. Didn't look bad reading the field at the E-W Shrine Game. Gonna have to work on the lower body mechanics, though.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:52 AM, jrry32 said:

I fully expect this to be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Jack Coan to Bailey Zappe. Yes, I did not expect to be saying that. I scoffed at the idea of Coan being a serious prospect not too long ago. But I took the time to watch a few of his games this year, and I was wrong. I think he goes relatively early on Day 3. Here's what I see:

Jack Coan - Got better and better as the season progressed. Arm strength was better than I thought it was based on casually viewing games. Accuracy isn't elite, but it was good, even great at times. Tough as nails. Good pocket presence and movement. Made NFL reads and looked smooth moving through progressions. Smart player. Not a big risk taker. Deep accuracy needs to improve. Not a lot of mobility. I think NFL teams will love a guy like him as a backup. Ceiling is Kirk Cousins. His more realistic comparison is Brian Hoyer.

Bailey Zappe - Great placement between the hashes. Some mobility. Compact release. Decisive with the ball. Willing to hang in the pocket. Good deep accuracy. Comfortable with the Air Raid progressions. Seems like a smart kid. Willing to take risks. Underwhelming arm strength. Throws outside the hashes are hit and miss. Will need some time to adjust to NFL offenses. When I watched Zappe, three QBs came to mind: David Fales, Colt McCoy, and Case Keenum. Could fall anywhere on that scale depending on how his transition to the NFL goes.

I also liked Coan more than I thought I would. I have him ranked higher than Bailey Zappe. What's the word on Chase Garbers? Out of the projected UDFAs that I looked at, I thought he looked the best. E.J. Perry sounds intriguing, but I didn't find much film on him. I'll be interested in watching him at the combine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This QB class just sucks.

Sort of.  Based on the numbers, it won't be as bad as 2021 turned out, though.  Part of their success will be the fact that they'll be drafted by better teams than Jacksonville and the Jets.  None of the 2022 crop will be 11th (i.e. Mac Jones) but there should be two or three better than Justin Fields (29th), Trevor Lawrence (32nd), or Zach Wilson (34th).  Matt Corral will be an unexciting possession QB (probably in Carolina).  Carson Strong and Kenny Pickett have the best outlooks.  Long suffering Broncos supporters should see their QB drought end with Strong and Saint's fans are going to love Pickett [once he has some targets].  Someone is going to get a pleasant surprise later with Bailey Zappe, depending on what he's asked to do.  

Malik Willis is being geekmocked to Pittsburgh, the one team that knows it absolutely must take a QB.  The Steelers will love Malik's arm strength but his accuracy, turnover worth plays, and 3.33s delivery time may be dealbreakers.  Also, he's fast (4.50s 40) but not elusive (pressure/sack percentage 30.5%).  The fear is that he may be a quicker but wilder version of Trey Lance.

Sam Howell will be a backup, perhaps in Indianapolis.  Philly might get a bargain in Desmond Ridder, whose decent but not great numbers could work behind that offensive line.

11 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Sort of.  Based on the numbers, it won't be as bad as 2021 turned out, though.  Part of their success will be the fact that they'll be drafted by better teams than Jacksonville and the Jets.  None of the 2022 crop will be 11th (i.e. Mac Jones) but there should be two or three better than Justin Fields (29th), Trevor Lawrence (32nd), or Zach Wilson (34th).  Matt Corral will be an unexciting possession QB (probably in Carolina).  Carson Strong and Kenny Pickett have the best outlooks.  Long suffering Broncos supporters should see their QB drought end with Strong and Saint's fans are going to love Pickett [once he has some targets].  Someone is going to get a pleasant surprise later with Bailey Zappe, depending on what he's asked to do.  

Malik Willis is being geekmocked to Pittsburgh, the one team that knows it absolutely must take a QB.  The Steelers will love Malik's arm strength but his accuracy, turnover worth plays, and 3.33s delivery time may be dealbreakers.  Also, he's fast (4.50s 40) but not elusive (pressure/sack percentage 30.5%).  The fear is that he may be a quicker but wilder version of Trey Lance.

Sam Howell will be a backup, perhaps in Indianapolis.  Philly might get a bargain in Desmond Ridder, whose decent but not great numbers could work behind that offensive line.

'21 is still going to be a far superior class when all is said and done though. Zappe looked basically undraftable today for e.g and he will still probably go in first 3 rounds. 

There isn't one QB I'd take over any of the first 5. 

12 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Why must the Steelers draft a QB in a poor QB class?  Why not fix the Oline and Dline?  Get a QB next year when there are better prospects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Why must the Steelers draft a QB in a poor QB class?  Why not fix the Oline and Dline?  Get a QB next year when there are better prospects.

Haskins was a better prospect than any QB in this class.  Rebuild the lines, see if Tomlin can mold Haskins, and if not, you'll be drafting higher next year anyways.

• Like 3