Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

I fully expect this to be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Jack Coan to Bailey Zappe. Yes, I did not expect to be saying that. I scoffed at the idea of Coan being a serious prospect not too long ago. But I took the time to watch a few of his games this year, and I was wrong. I think he goes relatively early on Day 3. Here's what I see:

Jack Coan - Got better and better as the season progressed. Arm strength was better than I thought it was based on casually viewing games. Accuracy isn't elite, but it was good, even great at times. Tough as nails. Good pocket presence and movement. Made NFL reads and looked smooth moving through progressions. Smart player. Not a big risk taker. Deep accuracy needs to improve. Not a lot of mobility. I think NFL teams will love a guy like him as a backup. Ceiling is Kirk Cousins. His more realistic comparison is Brian Hoyer.

Bailey Zappe - Great placement between the hashes. Some mobility. Compact release. Decisive with the ball. Willing to hang in the pocket. Good deep accuracy. Comfortable with the Air Raid progressions. Seems like a smart kid. Willing to take risks. Underwhelming arm strength. Throws outside the hashes are hit and miss. Will need some time to adjust to NFL offenses. When I watched Zappe, three QBs came to mind: David Fales, Colt McCoy, and Case Keenum. Could fall anywhere on that scale depending on how his transition to the NFL goes.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 3:39 AM, NYRaider said:

Hurts is on the verge of leading Philly to the playoffs this season despite very little talent at WR.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, BrownLeader said:

But agreed that Philly is definitely not looking for another QB this off season.

So who again is absolutely not looking for a QB this offseason?  With three 1st round picks, they will consider a QB especially if a guy they like falls.  Hurts is having a flat out awful game as a passer today and made two huge turnovers.

Phili has a great DL, solid OL but bad QB play basically eliminates them regardless.  Sure give the guy another chance next year but no reason to bring in someone else just in case with so many 1st round picks, draft a WR and maybe a solid DB then go QB if a guy they like drops.

• Like 2

I just dropped by to say that Kenny Pickett is the only QB from this class that I would feel even remotely comfortable drafting in the top 10.

You have to do a whole lot of bending, twisting and dancing to make a case for any of the other QBs being worth more than a late-teens selection.

Willis/Corral are projects like Love/Lance and need at least 1 year on the bench. Howell/Zappe are clear as day long term backup QBs like Minshew/Keenum/Siemian.

Thats my draft analysis.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I just dropped by to say that Kenny Pickett is the only QB from this class that I would feel even remotely comfortable drafting in the top 10.

You have to do a whole lot of bending, twisting and dancing to make a case for any of the other QBs being worth more than a late-teens selection.

Willis/Corral are projects like Love/Lance and need at least 1 year on the bench. Howell/Zappe are clear as day long term backup QBs like Minshew/Keenum/Siemian.

Thats my draft analysis.

Agree with this, Pickett I am fairly certain still JAG as well. 

On 1/15/2022 at 4:52 AM, jrry32 said:

I fully expect this to be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Jack Coan to Bailey Zappe. Yes, I did not expect to be saying that. I scoffed at the idea of Coan being a serious prospect not too long ago. But I took the time to watch a few of his games this year, and I was wrong. I think he goes relatively early on Day 3. Here's what I see:

Jack Coan - Got better and better as the season progressed. Arm strength was better than I thought it was based on casually viewing games. Accuracy isn't elite, but it was good, even great at times. Tough as nails. Good pocket presence and movement. Made NFL reads and looked smooth moving through progressions. Smart player. Not a big risk taker. Deep accuracy needs to improve. Not a lot of mobility. I think NFL teams will love a guy like him as a backup. Ceiling is Kirk Cousins. His more realistic comparison is Brian Hoyer.

Bailey Zappe - Great placement between the hashes. Some mobility. Compact release. Decisive with the ball. Willing to hang in the pocket. Good deep accuracy. Comfortable with the Air Raid progressions. Seems like a smart kid. Willing to take risks. Underwhelming arm strength. Throws outside the hashes are hit and miss. Will need some time to adjust to NFL offenses. When I watched Zappe, three QBs came to mind: David Fales, Colt McCoy, and Case Keenum. Could fall anywhere on that scale depending on how his transition to the NFL goes.

Hmmmmm….I think they’re both destined for the bench in the NFL. Especially Coan, who I think is atrocious. I’ve seen a lot of ND games and his accuracy is all over the place. He misses some easy ones and it was the same way before he transferred over. He has some NFL traits, but I don’t think he has the accuracy or quick decision making to stick.

Zappe has a nice arm, great ball placement, and isn’t a bad athlete. His scheme worries me, as he rarely was asked to make NFL throws. He ripped up vanilla zone defenses with 1-2 read concepts. I think he’s gonna take a long time to develop to an NFL system and by the time he does…does his physical profile really justify being patient to develop this kid?

This QB class is underrated at the top, but the later rounds look barren of sleepers to me. I’m usually intrigued by 1-2 deep sleepers. This year not so much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ViolenceIsYourFriend said:

Hmmmmm….I think they’re both destined for the bench in the NFL. Especially Coan, who I think is atrocious. I’ve seen a lot of ND games and his accuracy is all over the place. He misses some easy ones and it was the same way before he transferred over. He has some NFL traits, but I don’t think he has the accuracy or quick decision making to stick.

Zappe has a nice arm, great ball placement, and isn’t a bad athlete. His scheme worries me, as he rarely was asked to make NFL throws. He ripped up vanilla zone defenses with 1-2 read concepts. I think he’s gonna take a long time to develop to an NFL system and by the time he does…does his physical profile really justify being patient to develop this kid?

This QB class is underrated at the top, but the later rounds look barren of sleepers to me. I’m usually intrigued by 1-2 deep sleepers. This year not so much.

Respectfully disagree. His accuracy, particularly later in the year as he became more comfortable with the scheme and his supporting cast, was good. He's not elite in that regard, which is why he's a Day 3 QB.

5 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Agree with this, Pickett I am fairly certain still JAG as well. 

I just can’t get over hand size. His (8-1/4) hand size would be the 3rd smallest ever measured in 37 years. I know people like to downplay the hand size thing for prospects, but it’s concerning for Pickett.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I just can’t get over hand size. His (8-1/4) hand size would be the 3rd smallest ever measured in 37 years. I know people like to downplay the hand size thing for prospects, but it’s concerning for Pickett.

I heard he has hypermobility in his hand which is able to hold NCAA football just fine.  If true, we will need to find out whether or not he can hold NFL football in Mobile.

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

His arm just doesn't wow me, it is fine but he doesn't have any great tools. He might be a poor mans Burrow at his best. 

On 1/16/2022 at 12:24 PM, Ozzy said:

So who again is absolutely not looking for a QB this offseason?  With three 1st round picks, they will consider a QB especially if a guy they like falls.  Hurts is having a flat out awful game as a passer today and made two huge turnovers.

Phili has a great DL, solid OL but bad QB play basically eliminates them regardless.  Sure give the guy another chance next year but no reason to bring in someone else just in case with so many 1st round picks, draft a WR and maybe a solid DB then go QB if a guy they like drops.

Mac Jones played pretty damn terrible against the Bills, should the Patriots move on as well?

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think this class ends up more 2014 than 2013. There's likely a Carr/Bridgewater/Jimmy G or two among this group. A Top 15 guy or two. 

Yeah, because a few might go later to the Steelers or Donkeys they should be in better situations and be able to carve out solid starter status. 

• Like 1