Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

5 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Willis has so many issues tho imo. The arm and running talent is there but he's a hard start up everywhere else.

Yeah, no doubt. I don't think any of them are likely to be great NFL starters. I think the only ones that have any skill/trait/measurables to potentially succeed are Willis and Ridder. 

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Willis is QB1 in my mind.  Not because he's the best QB in this class, but because he's the only QB in this class that looks like he could grow into a legit QB1.  This is a class full of journeyman, and he's a boom or bust.

Pickett is a 24 year old with a meh arm.  I think he's pretty close to his ceiling already.

Corral looks very much like a product of his system more than anything else.

Ridder, I only saw against Bama, and he was clearly overwhelmed, but it didn't look like it was entirely because his supporting cast let him down.

Howell is a not super prolific passer in an air raid offense, but I guess he can run?  If he's athletic enough, he could have the needed upside.

Strong I haven't watched at all.

Howell has been fairly prolific over his career, especially in an Air Raid that runs the ball a good amount.

Willis I really don't like his turnovers and level of competition.
Carson Strong is a statue.
Howell is a poor mans Baker Mayfield
Pickett has unacceptably small hands and people are fooling themselves into thinking he's Joe Burrow when he very much is not.

Ridder is probably my #2, but I kind of have a gut feeling of a low ceiling for him perhaps? Still would take him over anyone besides Corral by a fair margin.

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

Top 15:
Matt Corral

Top 40:
Desmond Ridder

Round 2:
Malik Willis

Round 3-4:
Sam Howell
Carson Strong
Kenny Pickett

This is an interesting QB class, if for no other reason than that it is one of those groups that you’d be hard pressed to find any two people to agree on. Rankings are all over the place. 

Should be a fun Senior Bowl/combine for that reason 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Willis I really don't like his turnovers and level of competition.
Carson Strong is a statue.
Howell is a poor mans Baker Mayfield
Pickett has unacceptably small hands and people are fooling themselves into thinking he's Joe Burrow when he very much is not.

Ridder is probably my #2, but I kind of have a gut feeling of a low ceiling for him perhaps? Still would take him over anyone besides Corral by a fair margin.

Ridder is the guy that I'd want the least. Can't trust a QB who can't consistently make the easy throws. People will tout Josh Allen, but he's the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1

I watched Bailey Zappe's games against UTSA and came away way more impressed than I thought I'd be.

Also, that lanky, unassuming OC Western Kentucky had last year is awesome. He's at Texas Tech now and he's gonna keep moving up. The biggest pause I have with Zappe right now is that I'm not sure if I'm enamored with his play or that offense he was in. 

16 hours ago, Danger said:

His absolute ceiling to me would be like Ryan Tannehill. So if you think you can get that, so be it. 

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

Zappe is Chad Pennington all over again. Below average NFL arm with good accuracy and decisions.  He will make a very good backup.

Pennington was an above average starter. If he's that good, he won't be a backup for long.

23 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Willis has so many issues tho imo. The arm and running talent is there but he's a hard start up everywhere else.

This is what NFL QB coaches get paid for, do go over root fundamentals and get players game ready. Josh Allen was as raw as they came and whoever his QB coach was got helped him become one of the premier young QBs in the game.

This applies to any raw prospect for that matter, teams know what they are getting into, they know you arent a finished product, a lot of them are just looking for a few elite traits or traits that fit their system/philosophy then build from there. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This is what NFL QB coaches get paid for, do go over root fundamentals and get players game ready. Josh Allen was as raw as they came and whoever his QB coach was got helped him become one of the premier young QBs in the game.

This applies to any raw prospect for that matter, teams know what they are getting into, they know you arent a finished product, a lot of them are just looking for a few elite traits or traits that fit their system/philosophy then build from there. 

Howell, Ridder, Corral..all these guys are project types...same as Josh Allen was. Point was, Willis is even more not ready to play than these others.

Edited by BrownLeader

4 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Howell, Ridder, Corral..all these guys are project types...same as Josh Allen was. Point was, Willis is even more not ready to play than any of these others.

I think you're discounting how good a runner Willis is. We have seen in the recent past that quarterbacks with standout running ability have been able to have early success in the NFL, despite not being developed passers (see Jackson, Hurts, Newton, Vick, Hill, Kaepernick, etc.). Even Allen was able to have early success his rookie year because of his running ability. I think the reason for their early success is that running ability is more readily translatable to the NFL, and defenses are more often forced into zone coverages and extended plays against running QBs, which makes passing the ball easier.

Ultimately, for players like Willis, it comes to how good of a passer he is right now, and how much does his running cover up for that. We're seeing this with Hurts and Hill right now. Both are extremely limited passers with immense running ability. As long as they can run as well as they do, they won't ever have to develop into more than quality backup-level passers.

Hidden in this conversation is how we value QB rushing yards and, ultimately, why we value it much less than not only QB passing yards, but rushing yards from other positions. Ultimately, I don't think this is a conversation appropriate for this forum.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think you're discounting how good a runner Willis is. We have seen in the recent past that quarterbacks with standout running ability have been able to have early success in the NFL, despite not being developed passers (see Jackson, Hurts, Newton, Vick, Hill, Kaepernick, etc.). Even Allen was able to have early success his rookie year because of his running ability. I think the reason for their early success is that running ability is more readily translatable to the NFL, and defenses are more often forced into zone coverages and extended plays against running QBs, which makes passing the ball easier.

Ultimately, for players like Willis, it comes to how good of a passer he is right now, and how much does his running cover up for that. We're seeing this with Hurts and Hill right now. Both are extremely limited passers with immense running ability. As long as they can run as well as they do, they won't ever have to develop into more than quality backup-level passers.

Hidden in this conversation is how we value QB rushing yards and, ultimately, why we value it much less than not only QB passing yards, but rushing yards from other positions. Ultimately, I don't think this is a conversation appropriate for this forum.

I am. I think Willis' running ability is a bit overstated. I know he's rumored to have run a 4.37 at Auburn but I don't see it. He's tough and good in the open field but I'm not convinced he's especially fast. Figuring speed is difficult, especially against ASUN competition, so I certainly could be wrong...but I just wasn't blown away about that aspect of his game watching him. Now his arm talent.....