Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

34 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'm still writing this class off. Never understood why 2017 wasn't highly regarded. I personally thought Watson was a slam dunk #1 pick and Mahomes skill set/ highlights were drool worthy. The stigma of "air raid qb" and "black pocket QB" imo are why they weren't universally highly regarded. 

That's simply not true.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

People liked the 2017 QB class just fine. The consensus was that there were 3-4 first rounders. And, even in a rich QB class like 2018, the odds aren't favorable that things are going to pan out. 2020's class might be relatively prolific if Tua pans out.

People did not like the 2017 QB class just fine. 

Ultimately, the draft isn't a complete guessing game, we have a decent idea of which players will be good. I think people are justified in being "down" on this class based on what we've seen. All the QBs in this draft will require a lot more projecting than in previous years, and the there is a strong likelihood that none will become franchise players.

Maybe, maybe not. There isn't a slam-dunk top QB in this Draft. That's for sure.

Just now, Jeezla said:

Or it is.

No, it's not. It's not even close to true. Mahomes was a mechanical mess coming out of TTU and had major decision making questions. He loved to play schoolyard ball behind the LOS and then throw deep balls into coverage. I was in the minority on this board in liking Mahomes. The concerns with him weren't purely focused on the Air Raid.

As for Watson, he was coming out of a wonky system that simplified reads. He also had some inconsistencies with his accuracy in his final year. Beyond that, he didn't have prodigious arm strength or great size. Although, he was very athletic. You're revising history, dude.

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

People did not like the 2017 QB class just fine. 

Oh please, yes people did. There wasn't an elite prospect, but few we're arguing against Trubisky, Watson, or Mahomes going in round one.

Even if you want to be petty about what "fine" means, it's inarguable that people liked it a whole lot more than this class.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Oh please, yes people did. There wasn't an elite prospect, but few we're arguing against Trubisky, Watson, or Mahomes going in round one.

Even if you want to be petty about what "fine" means, it's inarguable that people liked it a whole lot more than this class.

Many were arguing that at least a couple of those guys weren't likely to pan out.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Many were arguing that at least a couple of those guys weren't likely to pan out.

The consensus was that those three should go in round one. I thought four should go including Kizer. As prospects, I would consider all four of the top guys better as prospects than my top guy in this class--Willis.

My point being, I think it's perfectly justified that people are down on this QB class. Abstractly, sure, franchise QBs can emerge from depressed classes. It's just not likely to occur as even strong classes are likely to produce more busts than successes. And, obviously I'm only talking about the first/second rounders.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well, 1 out of 3 didn't work out, the next QB taken didn't pan out (Kizer, pick 52), so 2 of the top 4 didn't pan out.  The next 10 QB's taken didn't pan out either, just with lower expectations.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The consensus was that those three should go in round one. I thought four should go including Kizer. As prospects, I would consider all four of the top guys better as prospects than my top guy in this class--Willis.

My point being, I think it's perfectly justified that people are down on this QB class. Abstractly, sure, franchise QBs can emerge from depressed classes. It's just not likely to occur as even strong classes are likely to produce more busts than successes. And, obviously I'm only talking about the first/second rounders.

It's possible three or four guys go Round 1 in this class. Are people justified in being down on this class? We'll see. Is this class more muddled than normal? Yes. Does this class not have a clear top prospect? Yes.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

It's possible three or four guys go Round 1 in this class. Are people justified in being down on this class? We'll see. Is this class more muddled than normal? Yes. Does this class not have a clear top prospect? Yes.

Reach on a QB in this class, you better be right, because it's probably the GM's job if they are wrong.

14 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Reach on a QB in this class, you better be right, because it's probably the GM's job if they are wrong.

That's true in basically every class. They all have risks. But they also all have upside. And you don't want to be one of the QB "have nots."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Genuinely curious, what made you think Fields was a better fit than Lance?

I thought he was more accurate (which is needed in that offense) and was coached by an NFL QB coach, he had a better grasp of the game. My stance never changed, I always thought Lance was an odd fit in SF, but again, thats just me.

Now can they make it work for them, sure. 

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I can't speak on Watson or Mahomes cus I really didn't know much about them leading up to that draft cycle. But Trubisky had bust written all over him.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

I can't speak on Watson or Mahomes cus I really didn't know much about them leading up to that draft cycle. But Trubisky had bust written all over him.

That's great, but it doesn't have anything to do with the discussion. The discussion is about whether the 2017 and 2022 QB classes are similar. I don't think they are. The 2017 draft class was by the consensus much better.

The consensus first rounders at this point seem to be Willis, Picket, and Corral. All would be considered worse than Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes as prospects.