Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wonder if he likes losing money just to pump up his pride...?

I mean, given the dearth of quality QBs someone will give him at least a TC tryout.  He probably converts to RB or WR at some point during the preseason.

• Like 2

Willis by far looked like the best QB throwing the ball, and that’s even without the leg part of his game. I’d be shocked if he gets past the Giants at 5, perfect fit for Daboll’s scheme. I say Willis ends up going third to Houston and they trade Watson to Denver (god damnit). 

I was not impressed with Ridder throwing. Velocity looks questionable, and some underthrows. Still not a bad 2nd Round QB prospect at all, but I wouldn’t touch him in the 1st if I was any team. 

Carson Strong looked pretty good too. 

I like Willis and think he’s well worth a Top 5 Pick gamble. You hit or miss, one miss isn’t going to break you. If Willis develops he oozes Top 3 QB potential, his ceiling is higher than any QB I’ve seen since Luck. No, I am not saying he’s anywhere close to Luck as a prospect, considering his floor is pretty horrific. 

I think Willis in the Top 5 is well worth the risk. I think Carson Strong would be an excellent Late 2nd Round value pick. 

Any other QB, not sure I touch at all. Pretty weak QB class, certainly nothing compared to last year where I had all four guys in my Top 8. 

Early, but I think for me it’s like this:

1) QB Malik Willis - Top 5 Grade

2) QB Carson Strong - Mid 2nd Grade (might be Early 2nd by the time I’m done though)

3) QB Desmond Ridder - Late 2nd Grade

4) QB Matt Corral - Late 2nd Grade

5) QB Kenny Pickett - Early 3rd Grade

Willis’s skillset just too good to pass up. Even better than Lance’s skillset last year. 

I don’t expect the rest of the forum to view Willis as highly, this forum has long hated project QB’s with a passion and do not like to gamble that early in the 1st. 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:57 PM, Forge said:

Mac in this draft is the no doubt about it first QB off the board. I think all five of the first round guys last year go first if they were in this QB draft. 

Willis would definitely go before Mac imo. Mac’s ceiling is no where near as high as most of these QB’s, and will likely never be a Top 10 QB in the NFL (don’t care about the “Pro Bowl”). I honestly think Willis would go above Fields as well but behind Lawrence, Wilson, and Lance. 

Edited by BayRaider

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Willis by far looked like the best QB throwing the ball, and that’s even without the leg part of his game. I’d be shocked if he gets past the Giants at 5, perfect fit for Daboll’s scheme. I say Willis ends up going third to Houston and they trade Watson to Denver (god damnit). 

I was not impressed with Ridder throwing. Velocity looks questionable, and some underthrows. Still not a bad 2nd Round QB prospect at all, but I wouldn’t touch him in the 1st if I was any team. 

Carson Strong looked pretty good too. 

I like Willis and think he’s well worth a Top 5 Pick gamble. You hit or miss, one miss isn’t going to break you. If Willis develops he oozes Top 3 QB potential, his ceiling is higher than any QB I’ve seen since Luck. No, I am not saying he’s anywhere close to Luck as a prospect, considering his floor is pretty horrific. 

I think Willis in the Top 5 is well worth the risk. I think Carson Strong would be an excellent Late 2nd Round value pick. 

Any other QB, not sure I touch at all. Pretty weak QB class, certainly nothing compared to last year where I had all four guys in my Top 8. 

Early, but I think for me it’s like this:

1) QB Malik Willis - Top 5 Grade

2) QB Carson Strong - Mid 2nd Grade (might be Early 2nd by the time I’m done though)

3) QB Desmond Ridder - Late 2nd Grade

4) QB Matt Corral - Late 2nd Grade

5) QB Kenny Pickett - Early 3rd Grade

Willis’s skillset just too good to pass up. Even better than Lance’s skillset last year. 

I don’t expect the rest of the forum to view Willis as highly, this forum has long hated project QB’s with a passion and do not like to gamble that early in the 1st. 

I only saw pieces of the throwing but really liked Sam Howell's deep touch, even if his first throw of the night was a bad one. I could see him being the second QB off the board at this point.

Agreed on Willis. I could even see the Lions looking his way but think its more reasonable he settles in at 6 with Carolina.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Care to point to which game(s) that you watched that suggested he was a top 5 pick?

This is the problem with FF, all gametape and zero factor on traits. Willis traits are legendary status. His gametape is not 1st Round caliber, but he showed tons of flashes, more than you need, to warrant the gamble very early in the draft. The problem with this forum is they think a project QB should go no where near the Top 10. People thought that of Lance last year and Josh Allen as well. Josh Allen’s tape was no where even close to 1st Round caliber, I remember hating his tape with a passion. Allen was drafted for traits. The Bills coached him up greatly into the superstar he is. 

Plus I like Willis’s tape a little more than most, but agreed it’s not 1st Round tape. But when he’s on, he’s on, and his flashes and ability to make a play are absurd.

I factor potential and skillset/traits highly into QB’s. That’s why as a team I would put him Top 5 on the Big Board. Is he the 5th best prospect today? No. But a lot of drafting is factoring in potential, traits, progression, and risk/reward. 

48 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is the problem with FF, all gametape and zero factor on traits. Willis traits are legendary status. His gametape is not 1st Round caliber, but he showed tons of flashes, more than you need, to warrant the gamble very early in the draft. The problem with this forum is they think a project QB should go no where near the Top 10. People thought that of Lance last year and Josh Allen as well. Josh Allen’s tape was no where even close to 1st Round caliber, I remember hating his tape with a passion. Allen was drafted for traits. The Bills coached him up greatly into the superstar he is. 

Plus I like Willis’s tape a little more than most, but agreed it’s not 1st Round tape. But when he’s on, he’s on, and his flashes and ability to make a play are absurd.

I factor potential and skillset/traits highly into QB’s. That’s why as a team I would put him Top 5 on the Big Board. Is he the 5th best prospect today? No. But a lot of drafting is factoring in potential, traits, progression, and risk/reward. 

And for every Josh Allen, there's a hundred JaMarcus Russell and Paxton Lynch.  We get so fixated on players with big tools that we ignore the red flags right in front of us.  Malik Willis isn't the first QB to come out of college with a cannon for an arm.  He's not the first one to come out of college with RB-like athleticism.  Nobody is denying that he flashes the upside.  The problem is you're passing on a guy you're pretty sure is going to be a franchise cornerstone in favor of a QB you think might be a franchise QB.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And for every Josh Allen, there's a hundred JaMarcus Russell and Paxton Lynch.  We get so fixated on players with big tools that we ignore the red flags right in front of us.  Malik Willis isn't the first QB to come out of college with a cannon for an arm.  He's not the first one to come out of college with RB-like athleticism.  Nobody is denying that he flashes the upside.  The problem is you're passing on a guy you're pretty sure is going to be a franchise cornerstone in favor of a QB you think might be a franchise QB.

There are not any/many "safe" QBs in this class.  Willis has horrible accuracy for anything that is a crossing route.  If Lance can go in the top 5 someone will gamble on Willis.  I just think he is 2 years away.  He is not the passer Lamar Jackson was coming out of College.  I think Willis' accuracy is below 60%.  That is scary to spend a 1st round pick, let alone a high 1st round pick on that QB.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Care to point to which game(s) that you watched that suggested he was a top 5 pick?

Old Dominion was definitely an excellent display both passing and running the ball. 

Thought he looked great against Syracuse as well.

Missed a few passes against Eastern Michigan, but still had several plays displaying his elite tools in that game.

Nobody is saying there isn't work to do with Willis, but he has an elite set of tools very few QB's have had. If a guy like Lance can go 3rd overall in last years class. I see no reason Willis can't do similar this year and go top 5/top 10 assuming he continues to have a great offseason like he has already shown at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Really just his Pro Day workout as the last obstacle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Willis would definitely go before Mac imo. Mac’s ceiling is no where near as high as most of these QB’s, and will likely never be a Top 10 QB in the NFL (don’t care about the “Pro Bowl”). I honestly think Willis would go above Fields as well but behind Lawrence, Wilson, and Lance. 

Disagree, could easily see Mac Jones having a ceiling of a guy like Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers. Maybe never elite but can be a great QB.

20 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Old Dominion was definitely an excellent display both passing and running the ball. 

Thought he looked great against Syracuse as well.

Missed a few passes against Eastern Michigan, but still had several plays displaying his elite tools in that game.

Nobody is saying there isn't work to do with Willis, but he has an elite set of tools very few QB's have had. If a guy like Lance can go 3rd overall in last years class. I see no reason Willis can't do similar this year and go top 5/top 10 assuming he continues to have a great offseason like he has already shown at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Really just his Pro Day workout as the last obstacle.

See the Ole Miss game, against arguably the best competition he played in his college career, that was rough.  Got sacked 7 times and some were absolutely his fault, threw 3 INTs and only average 2.6 yards per rush.

Trey Lance is 4" taller than Willis, just as thick and powerful and has a better arm I would say and obviously is more accurate.  Also did not play all but one season of college football because of that COVID year.  Willis can make the wow rolling and throwing back against his body long downfield but no way he is as good of a prospect as Trey Lance.

But sure late 1st round a team could take a gamble on him that is QB needy.  Not sure he is this Pittsburgh guy everyone talks about, I think they take Pickett there who is more ready now than Willis is to play right now.  Willis would be exciting for them to have but not sure he would win games for them, who knows.  Clearly in terms of character hype that video of Willis giving something to a needy man on the street alone could make him a 1st round pick.  That is all people were talking about was that random shot video, should give that dude a few thousand for posting that one considering the attention it has got.  

Granted the dude that posted that video of Willis which has over 2.9 million views right now was Ryan Lacey who is in "Sports Marketing and Brand Building".  So clearly that 'random' video was maybe not as random as some think, the Lacey dude is clearly trying to make a name for himself as well.  Still great buzz on Willis at the moment no doubt, and he threw the ball well at the combine, granted Carson Strong showed off a rocket arm as well and he could be one hell of a steal if he falls to the 2nd round.  Steelers would be better off going another direction in the 1st and getting Carson Strong in the 2nd but he could be gone to Indy or Cleveland before that along with a few other teams.  

Speaking of QBs, are the Saints going to take a QB?  Corral makes sense in that offense but are they going to rid of Hill or Winston?  Hill is signed till 2025 and gets what around $10 mil a year, that is a lot of money for a dude not sure he is even a consistent starter, especially if Sean Payton is not the OC.  

Edited by Ozzy