Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

That's great, but it doesn't have anything to do with the discussion. The discussion is about whether the 2017 and 2022 QB classes are similar. I don't think they are. The 2017 draft class was by the consensus much better.

The consensus first rounders at this point seem to be Willis, Picket, and Corral. All would be considered worse than Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes as prospects.

Nah. This is far more like the 2019 class If there was no Kyler Murray or even like the 2013 class than the 2017 class.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

That's great, but it doesn't have anything to do with the discussion. The discussion is about whether the 2017 and 2022 QB classes are similar. I don't think they are. The 2017 draft class was by the consensus much better.

The consensus first rounders at this point seem to be Willis, Picket, and Corral. All would be considered worse than Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes as prospects.

That wasn't the discussion. My point was that this board is very uncomfortable with risk and tends to look down on QB classes that lack a clear stud (i.e., clear #1 pick) and have risky prospects at the top.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

That wasn't the discussion. My point was that this board is very uncomfortable with risk and tends to look down on QB classes that lack a clear stud (i.e., clear #1 pick) and have risky prospects at the top.

And that dovetailed into comparing this class with 2017, which you claimed was similarly weak. However, unlike 2017, this class has mostly low floor and low ceiling prospects at quarterback. Outside of Malik Willis and maybe Matt Corral, none of the prospects have outstanding physical gifts.

8 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

And that dovetailed into comparing this class with 2017, which you claimed was similarly weak. However, unlike 2017, this class has mostly low floor and low ceiling prospects at quarterback. Outside of Malik Willis and maybe Matt Corral, none of the prospects have outstanding physical gifts.

That's not what I said. My claims were about this forum's tendencies.

I think Bailey Zappe has got the 'anti-clutch gene', although that is probably not even a real thing, so I am out on him. The Senior Bowl was the third game I watched of his where he made almost the same exact mistake in the closing seconds of a game, resulting in a game sealing interception. That Senior Bowl throw was awful too; it just fluttered.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:26 AM, jrry32 said:

This forums HATES risky QB prospects. I truly don't understand it. Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, Love, Lance all had massive amounts of hate. Mahomes a little less than those guys, but more hate than love. 

Honestly my favorite two QB's in the entire draft is Willis and Ridder. You're taking a massive gamble, but high risk high reward. All depends what team they go to as well. Willis in Daboll's scheme would be money imo. As for Ridder, I certainly wouldn't draft him in the Top 25 picks. But 2nd Round is a no brainer, or Pick 30-32 for the 5th year option. The guy was super efficient in college while still maintaining a high YPA. He's also fearless and a true gamer. Not the sexiest arm in the world but he has a good arm, especially in the mid-range. Ball has cannon like zip on those middle crossing routes. Also a dual-threat. I don't think Ridder can be a Top 5 QB, but Top 10 absolutely, if put in the right situation. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This forums HATES risky QB prospects. I truly don't understand it. Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, Love, Lance all had massive amounts of hate. Mahomes a little less than those guys, but more hate than love. 

Honestly my favorite two QB's in the entire draft is Willis and Ridder. You're taking a massive gamble, but high risk high reward. All depends what team they go to as well. Willis in Daboll's scheme would be money imo. As for Ridder, I certainly wouldn't draft him in the Top 25 picks. But 2nd Round is a no brainer, or Pick 30-32 for the 5th year option. The guy was super efficient in college while still maintaining a high YPA. He's also fearless and a true gamer. Not the sexiest arm in the world but he has a good arm, especially in the mid-range. Ball has cannon like zip on those middle crossing routes. Also a dual-threat. I don't think Ridder can be a Top 5 QB, but Top 10 absolutely, if put in the right situation. 

I'm not a Ridder guy for many of the same reasons I didn't like Josh Allen (accuracy/ball placement), but I do like Malik Willis. I'd want to grill him during interviews to see what sort of upside he has mentally (hard to tell from film), but in terms of physical traits and throwing ability, he's the entire package. Needs some time to develop, but he has massive upside.

And while I know he doesn't get a lot of love, I like Sam Howell. Make sure you're a team that can protect him. But I really like his arm talent and field vision. Haven't evaluated Pickett or Corral yet. I liked Corral a lot casually watching him, but that might change when I watch him closely.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not a Ridder guy for many of the same reasons I didn't like Josh Allen (accuracy/ball placement), but I do like Malik Willis. I'd want to grill him during interviews to see what sort of upside he has mentally (hard to tell from film), but in terms of physical traits and throwing ability, he's the entire package. Needs some time to develop, but he has massive upside.

And while I know he doesn't get a lot of love, I like Sam Howell. Make sure you're a team that can protect him. But I really like his arm talent and field vision. Haven't evaluated Pickett or Corral yet. I liked Corral a lot casually watching him, but that might change when I watch him closely.

Yeah I like Willis way more as well. If I’m the Giants I pick him 5th. Ridder not until the 2nd. A lot of QB’s in this draft I feel are downright untouchable though. Pickett’s hands are way too small. 8.25”? Has there ever been a QB successful with that hand size? 9” there’s a handful. But 8.25? He’s gonna fumble every three seconds in the pros. I didn’t think Burrow at 9” was a problem but not ideal. Also never been a Corral fan in the slightest, bust written all over him imo.

• Like 1

Big draft fan but don't follow college football.

Wondering how Malik Willis isn't being looked at as a #1 overall pick candidate right now? Obviously the Jags don't need a QB but from the limited film I've watched he seems to have everything. Seems way too talented to be talked about as a mid-late first round guy to me.

What is holding him back from being in that discussion?

2 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Big draft fan but don't follow college football.

Wondering how Malik Willis isn't being looked at as a #1 overall pick candidate right now? Obviously the Jags don't need a QB but from the limited film I've watched he seems to have everything. Seems way too talented to be talked about as a mid-late first round guy to me.

What is holding him back from being in that discussion?

Probably ball placement/accuracy to some degree. But mostly level of competition and proving he can make progressions. Maybe a bit more anticipation on throws and putting touch on his passes.

He’s simply quite raw. 

And the smart *** answer is because teams probably know they only have to pay to get to 2 or 3 this time around.

Edited by RTTRUTH

On 2/11/2022 at 9:54 PM, BayRaider said:

Not sure I'd agree.  Otherwise, there would be a LOT more of this forum higher on guys like Kenny Pickett or Sam Howell.  But it seems that the large consensus of this year's QB class it that it's not really good, and it's more a flavor of the month type of class.  I think everyone understands that Malik Willis probably provides the most amount of upside, but his floor is really, really low.  Like not even finishing his rookie contract kind of low.  If you're going to get fascinated by the highs, you need to go look at his lows.  He didn't even look like a D1 QB against Ole Miss.  He struggled against Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana, and Louisiana-Monroe as well.  There's really no consistency with him.  He either looks amazing or he looks undraftable, and that's not conducive to being drafted highly.  As for Ridder, I was hoping to see a significant jump from last year, but he looks largely the same player.

• Like 1