Who is your most unexpected player to breakout this season?

Gopackgonerd

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I also think that between Jonathan Garvin and Delonte Scott we have a quality 4th EDGE that will flash in the limited opportunities that he gets.  

Tipa Galeai should be in that category as well. If he wasn't so light, he probably would've been drafted. Really don't know why they list Scott as a DL given that he's only 246 as well; makes a fella wonder if he's as mobile as Aaron Kampman if kicked to the EDGE...

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Tipa Galeai should be in that category as well. If he wasn't so light, he probably would've been drafted. Really don't know why they list Scott as a DL given that he's only 246 as well; makes a fella wonder if he's as mobile as Aaron Kampman if kicked to the EDGE...

Ramsey was also kicking up some sand the last few seasons.  That room is stacked and competition for the 4th spot and even P squad should be a good one. Ideally we bring at least one of the young guys up to speed so losing one Preston won’t sting as much when the time comes. 

24 minutes ago, Joe said:

Or if Galeai didn't have a criminal record he probably would've been drafted?

8 hours ago, Norm said:

I think it's likely both make it tbh

If I read it correctly, you save 1.3m by cutting Josh Jackson.  Or 650k after you pay another developmental guy like Samuels to play the spot.

Now obviously you can't skimp on 650k for a player you really want to keep.  But if he is likely to be CB5 or worse and the Packers don't seem to value him or want to use him. Additionally he is a 4th year guy so if he does have a breakout year then you have to pay him next year whereas if someone like Ento or Samuels breaks out then you get the benefit of future cheap years.

The cap flexibility depends a lot on Rodgers but if he did stay on his current contract then these are the cuts we need to make to get more flexibility without needing to do bigger moves or kicking even more cap into next year.

If Burks or Jackson look fantastic in camp then its a whole different story but if they are still buried down the depth chart and primarily ST guys then they look logical cuts to me.

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

If I read it correctly, you save 1.3m by cutting Josh Jackson.  Or 650k after you pay another developmental guy like Samuels to play the spot.

Now obviously you can't skimp on 650k for a player you really want to keep.  But if he is likely to be CB5 or worse and the Packers don't seem to value him or want to use him. Additionally he is a 4th year guy so if he does have a breakout year then you have to pay him next year whereas if someone like Ento or Samuels breaks out then you get the benefit of future cheap years.

The cap flexibility depends a lot on Rodgers but if he did stay on his current contract then these are the cuts we need to make to get more flexibility without needing to do bigger moves or kicking even more cap into next year.

If Burks or Jackson look fantastic in camp then its a whole different story but if they are still buried down the depth chart and primarily ST guys then they look logical cuts to me.

Agree, Leave some room for Josh Jackson.  New DC, New scheme, maybe Berry finds a role for him he can grow in.  But then again, Maybe not.  🤞

Jackson is running out of real estate, likely his last shot.

48 minutes ago, R T said:

Or if Galeai didn't have a criminal record he probably would've been drafted?

Didn't know about that. The scouting reports said he was viewed as waaaaay too light to be a DE/EDGE in the NFL.

54 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Ramsey was also kicking up some sand the last few seasons.  That room is stacked and competition for the 4th spot and even P squad should be a good one. Ideally we bring at least one of the young guys up to speed so losing one Preston won’t sting as much when the time comes. 

Ramsey's an enigma to me. On paper, he's a lighter EDGE guy yet he lined up at both EDGE and ILB last year and played pretty well. I'm hoping he can improve this year and really solidify himself on the roster.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Reminds me of Charles Haley (49ers) who was in the 230's for much of his career (mid 80's to early 90's). Despite being hugely outmatched (in terms of weight) from the guys he went against, he was so driven, so intense (and later diagnosed as bipolar), he was very successful. When he went out of control in the locker-room (which happened several times)  the only way he could be calmed down was to send Ronnie Lott in to deal with him (Ronnie was about 200lb - but he had AUTHORITY). Once Lott was gone, Haley tended to have have more real clashes with HC Siefert and he was traded the following year.

If you looked up the word 'intense' in a dictionary, Charles' picture should really be alongside it.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, Leave some room for Josh Jackson.  New DC, New scheme, maybe Berry finds a role for him he can grow in.  But then again, Maybe not.  🤞

Jackson is running out of real estate, likely his last shot.

Wouldn't surprise me if the numbers' game ended up squeezing him out of the room.  And that's coming from someone who has been adamant that you don't cut rookie contracts until they're squeezed out by numbers.  You've got Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, and Kevin King who are mortal roster locks.  You can probably lump in Chandon Sullivan as a roster lock as well.  So you've essentially got Ka'Dar Hollman, Shemar Jean-Charles, Stanford Samuels, and Josh Jackson competing for at most 2 roster spots.  Usually, the back of the 53 man roster is reserved for the developmental types and the core ST players, of which Josh Jackson is neither.  If I were a betting man, I'd say SJC would be CB5 and Josh Jackson and Ka'Dar Hollman are competing for the last CB roster spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Didn't know about that. The scouting reports said he was viewed as waaaaay too light to be a DE/EDGE in the NFL.

Ramsey's an enigma to me. On paper, he's a lighter EDGE guy yet he lined up at both EDGE and ILB last year and played pretty well. I'm hoping he can improve this year and really solidify himself on the roster.

Yeah positional flexibility and even more importantly, ST will be important for those depth guys. The lighter OLB could possibly perform some coverage duties better than the elephants and while you don’t want to have that happening too much, there are times when you need them to protect that first level of the zone. Who knows which one will shine but there is potential there. I’m still going with Garvin because of age and athletic profile but I hope we have an embarrassment of riches in Mike Smith’s room

Regarding the last handful of posts:

I think Randy Ramsey is the kind of player we want Oren Burks to be.  Perhaps not the physical specimen, or the coverage ability, but he plays both inside and outside linebacker as well as special teams. Burks has the special teams ability, but the fact that Ramsey has played ahead of him on defense shows that he isn't a good footballer and just a great athlete.  I suppose the hope is for Burks to be "super Ramsey" when drafting him as early as he was drafted.

As unpopular as the opinion may be, I would rather keep Will Redmond than Josh Jackson.  He is cheaper and has more versatility positionally, and is better on teams as well.  I think I would like to see more of Ka'dar and Samuels as well.  I don't think Sullivan is a stone cold lock for the roster though.  He has a 2.1 million dollar cap hit with no penalty.  I think he is good, but is one of the few places where we could see a cap savings, and possibly have in house players that can do what he does.

I am still leaning Garvin, Scott, Galeai, in that order, for the final rush spot. I liked Galeai's highlights but as stated, he is light.  I am sure that Randy Ramsey will have a lot to say about this position as well.  I don't know if he is directly competing for the same roster spot as these guys, but he will almost certainly see some PT there.

• 3 weeks later...

Eric Stokes.  Not sure if this qualifies as unexpected being a first round pick but he is a rookie.  I don’t think King is a horrible CB but he has been somewhat oft injured possibly due to his long lanky body frame.  I think Stokes replaces King around game 5 and shows speed speed speed and close to lockdown coverage .

On 5/30/2021 at 2:19 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Regarding the last handful of posts:

I think Randy Ramsey is the kind of player we want Oren Burks to be.  Perhaps not the physical specimen, or the coverage ability, but he plays both inside and outside linebacker as well as special teams. Burks has the special teams ability, but the fact that Ramsey has played ahead of him on defense shows that he isn't a good footballer and just a great athlete.  I suppose the hope is for Burks to be "super Ramsey" when drafting him as early as he was drafted.

As unpopular as the opinion may be, I would rather keep Will Redmond than Josh Jackson.  He is cheaper and has more versatility positionally, and is better on teams as well.  I think I would like to see more of Ka'dar and Samuels as well.  I don't think Sullivan is a stone cold lock for the roster though.  He has a 2.1 million dollar cap hit with no penalty.  I think he is good, but is one of the few places where we could see a cap savings, and possibly have in house players that can do what he does.

I am still leaning Garvin, Scott, Galeai, in that order, for the final rush spot. I liked Galeai's highlights but as stated, he is light.  I am sure that Randy Ramsey will have a lot to say about this position as well.  I don't know if he is directly competing for the same roster spot as these guys, but he will almost certainly see some PT there.

Ramsey is a weird one to me.  I have to assume he made some big jumps with an NFL S&C program because he looks both bigger and faster than he did in college (and tested athletically) by a fair margin.  I'm always impressed with how well he moves when I see him in preseason.  I can't say I have a good sense of him as a player and whether he has a real chance at being a contributor, but I think it's fair to include him on the list of possible breakouts.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:46 PM, packfan1 said:

Eric Stokes.  Not sure if this qualifies as unexpected being a first round pick but he is a rookie.  I don’t think King is a horrible CB but he has been somewhat oft injured possibly due to his long lanky body frame.  I think Stokes replaces King around game 5 and shows speed speed speed and close to lockdown coverage .

Gonna be honest, I do not get drawing this concussion based on athleticism.