(No QBs) Most shocking player regressions

Blackstar12

Nnamdi Asomugha for me. Looking back it shouldn’t be too surprising that a CB with a new team/scheme on the wrong side of 30 regressed but the fall off was so massive. Went from debates of him vs Revis to out the league in the snap of a finger.

• Like 4

Kind of tricky. Most regressions seemed to be linked to specific reasons (injury, change of scheme, loss of motivations or "another reason"). Names that come to mind are;

-Demarco Murray
-Micheal Turner
-Dez Bryant
-Shawne Merriman
-Brian Cushing (Lol, I just saw that he's an assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Texans... wth?)
-Ray Edwards
-BJ Raji
-Greg Jennings

Edited by DutchFalcon

23 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Kind of tricky. Most regressions seemed to be linked to specific reasons (injury, change of scheme, loss of motivations or "another reason"). Names that come to mind are;

-Demarco Murray
-Micheal Turner
-Dez Bryant
-Shawne Merriman
-Brian Cushing (Lol, I just saw that he's an assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Texans... wth?)
-Ray Edwards
-BJ Raji
-Greg Jennings

Bolded are hardly a mystery. lol

Turner and Murray hit the 1500 carry wall that affects most RBs. 

Dez had those ankle/foot injuries in 2015 and just never recovered fully. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 1

the most baffling/infuriating one to me was Adalius Thomas. 

Elite player for the Ravens, who did multiple things extremely well. Signs a big contract with the Patriots at age 30, plays fine for one year, then starts having attitude problems, fighting with coaches, etc. and is out of the league by 33. 

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

Nnamdi Asomugha for me. Looking back it shouldn’t be too surprising that a CB with a new team/scheme on the wrong side of 30 regressed but the fall off was so massive. Went from debates of him vs Revis to out the league in the snap of a finger.

Glad he's been doing minor roles in Hollywood. Shame about his Eagles stint because you'll get people who never saw his Oakland tenure try to denigrate how great. BS like "he was inflated due to everyone else being targeted" (gee, I wonder why) or "teams just had to run on them instead of passing" (doesn't have anything to do with him still being dominant at his own duties)

Mo Wilkerson was a classic example of getting paid and shutting it down. Once the Jets gave him big money he quit. Went from perennial pro bowler and team captain to a nobody. Not even a trade to the Packers could motivate him.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Bolded are hardly a mystery. lol

Turner and Murray hit the 1500 carry wall that affects most RBs. 

Dez had those ankle/foot injuries in 2015 and just never recovered fully. 

Bolded are part of my "another reason" group. Can't deny they "suddenly" crashed hard though. But that plays into my point. For most players you can have a very valid reason for the decline. On the other side of the reasons I have listed you have the one day flies. Like can you really say Peyton Hillis declined if all he had was one flash in the pan season?

Agreed with Turner and Murray. They got (ab)used but it still felt weird to see them go from effective RB's to slow plodding rhino's from one season into another.

9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Josh gordon went from a hall of fame talent at wr, to an average one in the space of two missed seasons.

He was still a very good player with New England in 2018, but that lack of momentum from the time he missed really dragged him down.