Boston front office turnover : Ainge out / Stevens in

Leader

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Spare me the victim complex.  And I don't think it's so much that Ainge was a terrible GM so much as it had to do with believing he was overrated as a GM.  I mean with all those draft picks and cap flexibility he accumulated, he really only has Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown to show for it.  He handed out large contracts to Gordon Hayward, Al Horford, Kemba Walker, etc. for middling results, and all of his draft picks were the envy of most GMs.  If you hand that many draft picks to any competent GM, they'll turn it into some success.  The only time I think that Ainge went against the grain was when he traded down with Philadelphia in the Fultz/Tatum swap, when Fultz was largely viewed as the best prospect in the draft.

I think you can largely view his tenure in two different stints.  Big 3 and before and post Big 3.  Ainge was hired in 2003 and they traded for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett in June 2007.  Boston averaged 34.5 wins over his first four years in Boston before acquiring Garnett and Allen with two playoff appearances to show for it.  Then he acquired KG and Ray Allen, and the Celtics averaged 58.5 with their Big 3 with an NBA Championship and another appearance to show for it.  They were largely a .500 team for 4 years after the Big 3 broke up.  Prior to this past season, they were averaged 51.3 wins per season over the last 4 years.

Only Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown to show for it? I think most fans would take that result lol. Tatum is a super star and Brown is a star as well. If Hayward doesn't get hurt a game into his Celtics career and Kyrie doesn't go crazy, that team is friggen loaded.  Just Bad variance.

Largely a .500 team for 4-years after the Big 3 broke up? Ok, you can cherry pick his tenure and move the goal post. How about the rebuild afterwards? Trade raped Brooklyn, got IT, trade raped Cleveland, hired Brad Stevens, traded down and landed Tatum, took Brown when he definitely wasn't a consensus pick, etc. Made the conference finals 3 of the last 4 years. 

Hiring a 36-year old college coach from Butler wasn't going against the grain? 

Hey guys, Danny Ainge is a bad gym if you just completely ignore all of his good moves during his tenure as the Celtics GM.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think you are wildly under selling the post big 3 era. I mean what do you qualify to be "some success"? Is it 3 out of 4 ECF appearances in the last 4 years (prior to this one)? Is it only one season missing the playoffs before returning and never missing it again between the big 3 era and post? It took 3 seasons after the big three broke up to return to the ECF. That is an extremely fast turnaround. 

Danny took over in 2003. That is 18 seasons. In those 18 seasons they have missed the playoffs THREE times. They have 1 ship, 2 Finals appearances, and 6 ECF appearances. The Celtics have been competitive almost his entire 18 year run as Director of BB Ops. 

Nah man, just throw out everything good he did. See, he's now overrated. 

On 6/2/2021 at 8:56 AM, bigbadbuff said:

Most overrated GM ever. Imagine not being able to capitalize off that Nets haul, and then on top of that the Nets are primed for titles and you aren’t. Yikes

imagine thinking 2 all stars under the age of 25 isn't capitalizing while thinking two big weirdos wanting to play together lucking into a big market team with cap space is somehow a deterrent against danny ainge. in 18 years, there are many valid reasons to criticize danny ainge, but not winning a championship in the last 5 years is not one of them. 

21 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Kyrie saying what he said is the equivalent of a coach or gm saying they aren’t trading a superstar only for them to trade that player. Like what did you expect Kyrie to say at the time? Imagine him getting on the mic and saying “no way I’m staying” or saying “no comment” which leads to basically saying he doesn’t want to come back then the entire season is him being a distraction in the locker room because he said he isn’t coming back in the offseason. Now could he have handle the situation better? Yes. At the end of the day he wanted to go “home” basically to Brooklyn near his family in New Jersey and team up with KD so I can’t fault him for that. 

What did you expect him to say? Nothing???? Stop making excuses lol

12 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Well it’s only been documented once that he said he’s signing in Boston. Though let’s say for the sake of argument, he said it multiple times, he’s not allowed to change his mind? Because the following February (so 4 months after he initially said that he “plans” on re-signing) he was asked and he said “ask me July 1”. That’s not backstabbing, that circumstances around him changing and having a change of heart.  Celtics fans need to let this go. Always gonna paint Kyrie as the bad guy in that situation no matter what. Everything is Kyrie’s fault. 

Nah you don't get a free pass to "change your mind" when you politely ask a fanbase on the court if they'll have you back. I don't get why anyone would defend that. Just keep your mouth shut. Is it a big deal in my everyday life? No, but let's not pretend you'd be a big Kyrie fan if he left your franchise that way. "Celtics fans need to let this go" BRO, enough lol. It's sports. If you don't have rivalries or dislike players, what's so fun about it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Spare me the victim complex.  And I don't think it's so much that Ainge was a terrible GM so much as it had to do with believing he was overrated as a GM.  I mean with all those draft picks and cap flexibility he accumulated, he really only has Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown to show for it.  He handed out large contracts to Gordon Hayward, Al Horford, Kemba Walker, etc. for middling results, and all of his draft picks were the envy of most GMs.  If you hand that many draft picks to any competent GM, they'll turn it into some success.  The only time I think that Ainge went against the grain was when he traded down with Philadelphia in the Fultz/Tatum swap, when Fultz was largely viewed as the best prospect in the draft.

I think you can largely view his tenure in two different stints.  Big 3 and before and post Big 3.  Ainge was hired in 2003 and they traded for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett in June 2007.  Boston averaged 34.5 wins over his first four years in Boston before acquiring Garnett and Allen with two playoff appearances to show for it.  Then he acquired KG and Ray Allen, and the Celtics averaged 58.5 with their Big 3 with an NBA Championship and another appearance to show for it.  They were largely a .500 team for 4 years after the Big 3 broke up.  Prior to this past season, they were averaged 51.3 wins per season over the last 4 years.

Not every high pick needs to be moved for a superstar. The Celtics are set up for long term success. If/when the Celtics win a championship on their timeline, it will be because of Ainge. Give me long term viability with an actual plan over "We're one of the two big markets, I hope LeBron, KD, or Kawhi want to come here and force another star to join them" 

It's a very concentrated talent pool, you know this, we all know this. Championships cannot be the only barometer of success in the NBA. Again, I think there's a lot of reasons to criticize Ainge but jesus, I'm starting to think he's actually been underrated 

9 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Not every high pick needs to be moved for a superstar. The Celtics are set up for long term success. If/when the Celtics win a championship on their timeline, it will be because of Ainge. Give me long term viability with an actual plan over "We're one of the two big markets, I hope LeBron, KD, or Kawhi want to come here and force another star to join them" 

It's a very concentrated talent pool, you know this, we all know this. Championships cannot be the only barometer of success in the NBA. Again, I think there's a lot of reasons to criticize Ainge but jesus, I'm starting to think he's actually been underrated 

Hes incredibly underrated tbh. Hilarious watching Nets and Lakers fans bash him when they did everything wrong for years and big marketed themselves into contenders. 

1 hour ago, Troy Brown said:

Nah you don't get a free pass to "change your mind" when you politely ask a fanbase on the court if they'll have you back. I don't get why anyone would defend that. Just keep your mouth shut. Is it a big deal in my everyday life? No, but let's not pretend you'd be a big Kyrie fan if he left your franchise that way. "Celtics fans need to let this go" BRO, enough lol. It's sports. If you don't have rivalries or dislike players, what's so fun about it?

Who are you to say he doesn’t get to change his mind lol? He can change his mind if he wants. Circumstances can change so he has a right to change. Should he have said it? Nope because there are actually people who are naive to where had he not stayed they’d criticise him for not holding to his word. Which again he said in October and his final decision was made in July. That’s 9 months. A lot can change in 9 months. I honestly wouldn’t care. Im a soccer fan and have seen players leave my team in ways that most people would hate. Not me. 

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Who are you to say he doesn’t get to change his mind lol? He can change his mind if he wants. Circumstances can change so he has a right to change. Should he have said it? Nope because there are actually people who are naive to where had he not stayed they’d criticise him for not holding to his word. Which again he said in October and his final decision was made in July. That’s 9 months. A lot can change in 9 months. I honestly wouldn’t care. Im a soccer fan and have seen players leave my team in ways that most people would hate. Not me. 

Uh I'm the fan who doesn't like him? I have every right to be annoyed just as he has every right to change his mind. You're arguing something completely different to make excuses for him 

11 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Imma assume you’re a Nets fan. Celtics fans have every right to dislike him. He said he was staying then bolted, he threw shade at the team and tbh he’s just effing nuts. 

You can dislike him if you want. I just find disliking him because he gave an indication that he would stay and then 9 months later he didn’t to be silly.

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

You can dislike him if you want. I just find disliking him because he gave an indication that he would stay and then 9 months later he didn’t to be silly.

yeah maybe 

just maybe

just maybe it's because you're a nets fan

Also "gave an indication" I think the exact quote was something like "I'll be back if you'll have me" 

Edited by Troy Brown

Just now, Troy Brown said:

Uh I'm the fan who doesn't like him? I have every right to be annoyed just as he has every right to change his mind. You're arguing something completely different to make excuses for him 

Lol I never said you can’t be annoyed. I just find the reasons for annoyance to be weird. You’re not a 10 year old kid who is naive to the business. Why would you believe he was gonna stay especially how that season unfolded? I would never let myself to be that naive.