Boston front office turnover : Ainge out / Stevens in

Leader

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

LIS, he gets a TON of credit for doing the highly unpopular move of trading out of the #1 overall spot to a divisional rival of all teams to take Jayson Tatum.  Even if Fultz' career in Philadelphia had been similar to what it has been in Orlando, that was probably Ainge's best move in his career.  Nobody roasted the Jaylen Brown pick.  Get out of here with that.  He was largely viewed as the consensus #3 player in the draft.  There were a few people who liked Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield, or Dragan Bender, but Jaylen Brown was largely viewed as the #3 prospect in the draft.  Ironically, Brown was drafted 3rd overall.

Horford wasn't a great signing it.  It was a good one.  The problem was that he was a good player, not a great player.  And the C's signed him to a max contract (or close, I don't remember tbh).  Gordon Hayward isn't worth a max contract.  Kemba was an awful signing at the time, and he's a toxic contract now.  Let me ask you this, do you think you can win a championship with them as your #2 guy?  If they're not a top 2 guy, they're not max FAs.  Just because you create max contract cap space doesn't mean they're good signing.

And there's a reason why I'm not banging on the table for Sean Marks or Rob Pelinka.  This discussion isn't about them, it's about Ainge.

That's probably fair.  But it also wasn't long ago that Celtics fans said he was a top 3 GM easily.  And you're admitting that Ainge had a ton of assets to work with.

He is a top 3 GM tbh. Yes he had a ton of assets to work with because of good trades. He used a good chunk of them on Kyrie which just didn’t pan out. How many GMs have been able to consistently acquire trade assets like he has? Hayward and Horford were 100% Max players lol what the heck are you talking about? Jaylen Brown was absolutely not the consensus #3 pick, the Celtics got roasted for that pick. 

Edited by MookieMonstah

I like what the Celtics are doing. Time for a change at head coach for sure, and Ainge prolly needed to go the season after they lost Kyrie, Horford, and Rozier. Although I like what he did by drafting Robert Williams, signing TT, and trading for Fournier, just that it was time for a change, especially since they also lost Hayward afterwards. 

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Same with Tatum. He was in the 6+ range.

Wait...really? I knew Brown wasn't anywhere close to a consensus top 5 player, but I thought I remembered Tatum being in discussion for #3 all along after Fultz and Ball.

Must be misremembering.

17 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Not every high pick needs to be moved for a superstar. The Celtics are set up for long term success. If/when the Celtics win a championship on their timeline, it will be because of Ainge. Give me long term viability with an actual plan over "We're one of the two big markets, I hope LeBron, KD, or Kawhi want to come here and force another star to join them" 

It's a very concentrated talent pool, you know this, we all know this. Championships cannot be the only barometer of success in the NBA. Again, I think there's a lot of reasons to criticize Ainge but jesus, I'm starting to think he's actually been underrated 

Exactly. I'll take the guy I know will be here for 7 years vs. the guy who may be here for two. It's part of the reason I have no interest in the Brown & Beal rumored deal.

Agreed. I think it's fair to criticize Ainge, and some of his moves. But the narrative that he's overrated or that he was a bad GM, is just factually incorrect.

12 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Says all that and then as soon as he leaves. "The city was racist" "I hated being there" "I hated the locker room" "I'm going to come back and stamp on the logo"

Kyrie is an effing CLOWN

He knew exactly what he was doing. He painted a broad brush beforehand, pulls the logo move with no one around, and then says see look after it upsets people. 

Listen to Jaylen Brown speak about these real issues, and look at the difference in how they sound, and come across. Even Jaylen was throwing shade at Kyrie's comments. Jaylen is so well spoken, and thoughtful. 

Kyrie is a fraud. No one is denying his talent as a basketball player, including Celtics fans. But as a person, it is so easy to see through his BS.

9 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Also, Jaylen Brown was NOT the consensus 3rd best prospect. Just look at the first few mock drafts that pop up.

Ton of hindsight analysis, and a lot of which is just incorrect. Jaylen Brown was not the consensus 3rd overall prospect lmao.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Wait...really? I knew Brown wasn't anywhere close to a consensus top 5 player, but I thought I remembered Tatum being in discussion for #3 all along after Fultz and Ball.

Must be misremembering.

I think a bit before the draft Tatum was around that range, I know some people had Jackson over him but I don't think he was outside the top 4 close to the draft

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Same with Tatum. He was in the 6+ range.

I stand corrected on the Jaylen Brown part.  I remember him being one of the guys that was in the mix as the #3 prospect along with Dunn, Hield, and Bender.  He was largely viewed as a high floor, low ceiling prospect and he's vastly passed my expectations.  That draft was largely a Simmons vs Ingram discussion.  Definitely don't remember Tatum being that low.  I believe I mocked him 4th because we all thought that Josh Jackson's promise was from Philadelphia.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Must be misremembering.

I think beekay was lower on Tatum then most.  I looked back at his old thread, and I think he had him going 8th or something like that.  Tatum was my #3 prospect IIRC, and I think the only reason I had Josh Jackson projected to go ahead of him was because there was a rumored promise.

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

He is a top 3 GM tbh. Yes he had a ton of assets to work with because of good trades. He used a good chunk of them on Kyrie which just didn’t pan out. How many GMs have been able to consistently acquire trade assets like he has? Hayward and Horford were 100% Max players lol what the heck are you talking about? Jaylen Brown was absolutely not the consensus #3 pick, the Celtics got roasted for that pick. 

Again, all those assets and what to show for them?  3 Conference Championships to show for it, and Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.  Just because you can pay someone a max contract doesn't mean they're max FA players.  I stand by my original question, do you think you can win a championship with Hayward or Horford as your #2 on a championship team?