Hunting Problems?

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Trade or Keep?

pro's and con's are,,,?

I'm torn on what to do.  For me, this is similar to the Kirk situation.  With it being a new regime, I'm open to either, because I'm not all that attached to Hunter on a personal level.  He's certainly elite when healthy, but that's been the problem the last 2 years...and even when healthy, without Everson on the other side, it hasn't seemed the same.  

Part of me just thinks they should just move him for the best offer because of the injury history, but the other part thinks they should just renegotiate it and see if he can stay healthy and be the comeback player of the year.  Trading him opens the door for better potential fits in the 3-4...while he could do it, it doesn't necessarily suit his strengths and they'd have to scheme it to mitigate his weaknesses in it.  I waffle, therefore that's why I'm open to either situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

If they trade Kirk, they're giving up on the next two seasons, minimum. Might as well have the fire sale. 

Wouldn’t say that’s true if they can find a Jimmy G level replacement and get modest defensive improvement. If Rodgers isn’t in GB, who’s the favorite in the NFC North? someone has to win it.

During a press conference on Thursday, Donatell said that both his past and the Vikings’ past will be represented in this year’s defense.

Donatell said that the team will use both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts and that “everything we do will make it hard” on quarterbacks. Donatell said he believes Danielle Hunter can play both defensive end and outside linebacker as needed in those multiple looks.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/ed-donatell-sees-danielle-hunter-as-a-defensive-end-outside-linebacker-in-his-scheme/

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

During a press conference on Thursday, Donatell said that both his past and the Vikings’ past will be represented in this year’s defense.

Donatell said that the team will use both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts and that “everything we do will make it hard” on quarterbacks. Donatell said he believes Danielle Hunter can play both defensive end and outside linebacker as needed in those multiple looks.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/ed-donatell-sees-danielle-hunter-as-a-defensive-end-outside-linebacker-in-his-scheme/

There is no question of can he do it when healthy, it is does he want to and what kind of relationship does he have with Donatell and Chris Rumph?  Also are the Vikings sick of his injury issues.

There is zero question he could do it if asked and he is willing.  Switching back and forth from a 3/4 and 4/3 sounds good but really it is just taking one linebacker out and then just dropping the other edge rusher as a DL and playing basically nickel with two LBs and bringing in a extra DB be it a slot corner or safety. 

Cool he will switch back and forth but again if the DBs especially corners are not improved it will not really matter.  Vikings "affected" the QB last year with pressures and sacks and so what.  

Adofo-Mensah: "Really good player. Incredible person. We were talking about traveling, again, one of those things you love about an NFL relationship. He was traveling somewhere I had been, and we caught up about that.

"He is a really good football player, and to build championship teams you need a lot of really good football players. He is somebody who we want to continue to work with going forward, and we're excited to talk through all of the possibilities with that."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-nfl-combine-press-conference

• Like 1

NFL Media analyst and former defensive back Bucky Brooks agreed while discussing Hunter's potential role:

"It's all, like, semantics. People talk about 4-3, 3-4, but in reality, 70 percent of the game is going to be nickel coverage. So when you think about nickel coverage, nickel defense, Hunter is going to put his hand down and he's going to come off the edge. Maybe on early downs, maybe on first downs, he'll stand up on occasion. But good coaches? They're going to have their pass rushers rush. So he may stand up and everybody's like, 'Oh, he's an outside linebacker.' But he's coming most of the time. So he'll figure it out.

"And maybe it frees Danielle Hunter up – maybe he is able to do it from a 2-point stance. But I think at the end of the day, you want guys that can sack the quarterback to get after the quarterback. I don't think you'll get too cute trying to figure out how to put him in coverage just because it says it's a 3-4."

https://www.vikings.com/news/defense-pass-rush-2022-nfl-draft-combine

• 3 weeks later...