2021 Titans OTA/TC/Preseason Thread

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Over the past week or so I've seen some talk about the roster and about competition at certain spots, and one that irks me is right tackle.

Because I swear if we cut Dennis Kelly and spent a 2nd round pick on a right tackle just to start Kendall Lamm there, I might shove my head through my TV.

To that I say calm it down.

So many were mad we let Conkllin go just to start Dennis Kelly.  

Let it play out. Our offense doesn't require the best RT in the world. They need to be athletic and able to hold up majority of the time without help in pass protection. Kelly needed help at times. So if Lamm is a younger more athletic version of Kelly at the least we should be good while Radonz (sp?) either takes the spot or works up to it. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

To that I say calm it down.

So many were mad we let Conkllin go just to start Dennis Kelly.  

Let it play out. Our offense doesn't require the best RT in the world. They need to be athletic and able to hold up majority of the time without help in pass protection. Kelly needed help at times. So if Lamm is a younger more athletic version of Kelly at the least we should be good while Radonz (sp?) either takes the spot or works up to it. 

No, King! If Lamm starts, my head goes through the TV, and that's final! 😡

But no, I don't think Lamm is even remotely similar to Kelly. Kelly had proven he could play and start at an alright level. Lamm has not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

But no, I don't think Lamm is even remotely similar to Kelly. Kelly had proven he could play and start at an alright level. Lamm has not.

But did Kelly really???
I mean yeah over time, but when we traded DGB for this backup OT, everyone including me was mad. 
But if you look at Lamm's and Kelly's career arc they are pretty similar.

Both started as Rookies and been swing tackles pretty much. 
Save the TV and your blood pressure and don't freak if he plays. :)

I’ll say this about Kelly. In a league that is void of OL talent, it is a bit telling that at best a decent starting RT and at worse a quality swing tackle is still on the market.

Maybe he’s one of the vets waiting until TC to sign or maybe we’re higher around here on him than the league is. It’s just weird he’s not on a roster yet.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

bro kelly was a liability for this scheme. he's stiff and unatheletic. he struggles getting to the second level and getting those blocks. thats why they got more athletic tackles.. thats why lewan is so good here.. kelly was best as a swing guy/emergency guy, but as a 16 game starter in this system, no way is he what is needed. he did his job, but he left alot of blocks on the field that he could not make due to him lacking the require athleticism. check out "no flags film" on youtube and watch dillon radunz's rookie breakdown. within the first minute of the film, the guy breaks down why Radunz is already a better tackle than kelly and a better fit for our scheme.. a scheme that again, requires athletic tackles so that they can get to the second level against fast linebackers.. we run a zone blocking scheme and kelly really aint a fit for that.

Edited by Airness McNairness

15 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I’ll say this about Kelly. In a league that is void of OL talent, it is a bit telling that at best a decent starting RT and at worse a quality swing tackle is still on the market.

Maybe he’s one of the vets waiting until TC to sign or maybe we’re higher around here on him than the league is. It’s just weird he’s not on a roster yet.

Teams probably want to give him a cheap one year deal and he wants close to what he was getting or exactly what he was getting. 

I do think we overrate our players when they leave and underrate them while they are here. 
By some accounts, Conklin is the greatest RT in the league, but while here "He is cool, needs help but good."

Titania for ya.