Your favorite noseguards throughout NFL history.

TecmoSuperJoe

39 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

are they nose guards or nose tackles

I could be wrong, but I think the positions are basically the same in that they line up nose to nose against the center; the formation determines whether they're a tackle or a guard.

Keith Traylor is my favorite nose tackle to play the game. Built like a semi, but surprisingly agile as well. He played for 17 seasons, making the playoffs with six of the seven teams he started for and winning Super Bowls with two (Broncos and Patriots). Had some unforgettable "big man with football" moments.

Edited by y*so*blu

Vince Wilfork

I think he should be a HOF player, outstanding NT with surprising pass rushing ability at times.  Loved him coming out of Miami, one of the best NT prospects ever arguably, makes Dontari Poe look like a piece of ****, talk about someone dropping off the face of the earth after a surprisingly good first two years after being pretty unproductive in college.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Turnobili said:

are they nose guards or nose tackles

also ima throw in Wilfork into the conversation

Shaun Rogers was also fun but never consistently good

Unless I'm mistaken I believe the lingo for nose guard/tackle is interchangeable. Nose guard seems more old fashioned. 

Wilfork. Best NT of the 21st century. Rarely the most impactful defender on those great Pats Ds, but was perhaps the most valuable. BB seemed to develop his hybrid 3-4 defense around Wilfork and his ability to reliably eat blockers and occupy 2 gaps, while possessing enough burst to be a pass rush threat. Latter is important and separates him from many other NTs, as it allowed him to be on the field at all times in his prime. 

Ted Washington I love too just for being the PROTOTYPE for nose tackle. 6'5, 360+, just a mammoth of a man. Long career as an elite space eater. 

Warren Sharp on Twitter: "TED WASHINGTON WAS A BEAST 😳 Sapp was 6'2, 334  lbs in Oakland and Washington makes him look small… " 

• Like 1

Favorite Bears NT was Washington. I loved seeing him and Traylor clog the middle, and Jauron used to blitz Urlacher because he knew they would own the inside. 

I'd love to see Hicks used there, he could really collapse the pocket from NT, and I think he'd be even more effective there. 

Other teams, loved watching Wilfork, Ngata and Hampton. 

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Big ol Pat Williams was fun.

107343773_original.jpg?1294377164

Big Pat was once Ted Washington's number 2. Imagine running up the middle with those two behemoths right there. 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Also forgot to mention Kelly Gregg. Played many years in Baltimore, starting most of his games. Never made a Pro Bowl, but I feel like he easily could have made a few. 

Came in here to post Kelly Gregg.

Was an absolute fan favorite in B-More for the better part of a decade.

The 2000 Ravens DL was the most dominant but probably the most fun defensive line we’ve ever had was Haloti Ngata - Gregg - Trevor Pryce back in 2006.

• Like 1

One of the first true NT, HoF Curley Culp was the center of Houston's DL in the Earl Campbell era. HoF DE Elvin Bethea got most of the press, but Culp provided the standard by which other zero-techs would be graded. Culp was an Olympic wrestler and had outstanding knowledge of leverage and balance. He kept two OL occupied so the LB, notably HoF Robert Brazile would have free range. The three anchored a defense that challenged the Steel Curtain in its heyday. 

J

• Like 3