2021 Training camp news and notes

Sad People

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Literally no one is anointing him.

Did I say anyone was? No I was talking about myself in my post hence where the I came from.

Edit: Re read my previous comment and in fact I did not put I in the statement but it should be pretty obvious I was talking about myself there

Edited by mattyice0401

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Yup. The most puzzling was Denver passing on him. Only way it made any sense at the time for them to pass on Fields is if they thought they had a really good shot at Rodgers, which obviously turned out not to be the case.

I seriously can't believe that they did that even still. Mind blown with that one. I would have taken Fields over Lance in the 49ers shoes, but at least I can understand the basis for that decision. Denver bypassing him is going to be one of the more confusing draft decisions I've seen made in quite some time. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

I seriously can't believe that they did that even still. Mind blown with that one. I would have taken Fields over Lance in the 49ers shoes, but at least I can understand the basis for that decision. Denver bypassing him is going to be one of the more confusing draft decisions I've seen made in quite some time. 

I think we're scared of drafting QB's now. Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, and now Drew Lock could be heading one way or the other. We're in that position where it feels like any QB we draft is going to become a bust. 

Put it this way. Peyton Manning's going into the Hall of Fame this weekend. We have yet to find his replacement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PFM18 said:

I think we're scared of drafting QB's now. Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, and now Drew Lock could be heading one way or the other. We're in that position where it feels like any QB we draft is going to become a bust. 

Put it this way. Peyton Manning's going into the Hall of Fame this weekend. We have yet to find his replacement. 

None of those QB prospects were considered very good though (and that’s not just looking back at how they ended up).

1 hour ago, PFM18 said:

John Elway went in to the HOF a long time ago and y'all still haven't found his replacement. PFM was just a placeholder.

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

None of those QB prospects were considered very good though (and that’s not just looking back at how they ended up).

True, but the same Broncos FO led by Elway scouted and drafted all of them which is a slight on him ultimately. 

It's a shame Elway's tenure ended up like that but he'll always have a SB and Denver fans will always hold him in the highest regard. 

I actually thought we were going to draft Fields when it got to our pick, but then you hear how high Paton is on Surtain then the pick became obvious. Think it will turn out to be a quality pick though. We'll just likely be here next season hoping Rodgers fancies a crack at beating Mahomes in division. 

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

John Elway went in to the HOF a long time ago and y'all still haven't found his replacement. PFM was just a placeholder.

The best damn placeholder in football though!

Sad to say but true. Elway and Manning have been our only two top tier QB's in the last 25 years. We've had guys that were Ok like Griese, Plummer and Cutler but never a real franchise leading guy.

13 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

True, but the same Broncos FO led by Elway scouted and drafted all of them which is a slight on him ultimately. 

It's a shame Elway's tenure ended up like that but he'll always have a SB and Denver fans will always hold him in the highest regard. 

I actually thought we were going to draft Fields when it got to our pick, but then you hear how high Paton is on Surtain then the pick became obvious. Think it will turn out to be a quality pick though. We'll just likely be here next season hoping Rodgers fancies a crack at beating Mahomes in division. 

The best damn placeholder in football though!

Sad to say but true. Elway and Manning have been our only two top tier QB's in the last 25 years. We've had guys that were Ok like Griese, Plummer and Cutler but never a real franchise leading guy.

I mean sure, but how else do you expect to get it turned around? Keep the QB who you drafted who doesn’t appear to be “the guy” or the guy that also hasn’t been able to cut it as a legit starting QB? 

You’re going to be fired if he doesn’t work out sure, but you’ll also be fired if you keep losing. Give me the elite QB prospect and ride or die with him rather than the alternative every time.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean sure, but how else do you expect to get it turned around? Keep the QB who you drafted who doesn’t appear to be “the guy” or the guy that also hasn’t been able to cut it as a legit starting QB? 

You’re going to be fired if he doesn’t work out sure, but you’ll also be fired if you keep losing. Give me the elite QB prospect and ride or die with him rather than the alternative every time.

Paton won't be fired. It's his first year in the job and he didn't draft Lock.

If you have the opportunity to draft a considered sure fire QB prospect, then yeah, you go for it. No way were you guys going to draft anybody but Trevor Lawrence, just like no way were the Colts not going to draft Andrew Luck. No brainer picks. 

But Fields wasn't seen that way. He kept moving around draft boards. Some people considered him the 2nd best prospect behind Trevor. Others had as the 4th behind Wilson and Lance. There wasn't a general consensus of how good Fields is or could be. Unless you are a Luck or a Lawrence that's how it usually works. 

Sure Denver passed on him and went with a safe pick in PSII, but then so did Atlanta who although do have Matt Ryan, could have got their QB of the future, or Miami who apparently still don't know if Tua's the guy, or Detroit who have Jared Goff by way of the Rams desperate to get him off their books. If Fields was that sure fire, surely one of the above teams would have selected him. 

If Paton was an under pressure GM, then I think he would have gone for Fields or at least a QB in the hope they would be the long term franchise and get Denver back on track.  As it is he's taken over from Elway, and is starting to build, hopefully a competitive roster. If it turns out he did make a mistake by not drafting Fields or indeed a top QB prospect in his tenure then it won't be a long term one. 

47 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I thought Fields was the safer pick than Lance or Wilson but I do not get paid to make those decisions.  Lance or Wilson might have more upside. 

But none of them have played yet so this might be a flash in the pan.

I agree with this.

I also think the main 3 (not Lance, massive upside and I think he’ll end up a stud but placement with Shanny was vital IMO) were all no brainer QB picks for QB needy teams. Special type of class imo.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Literally no one is anointing him.

I mean you literally said "multiple people are going to lose their jobs because they didn't take him" haha.

You didn't say the word anoint specifically, but, c'mon - that's what you were getting at.

I don't even necessarily think he won't be great but you can't say "this kid is gonna cost multiple GMs jobs!" and then get defensive when someone implies people are anointing the kid early... 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Were talking bout practice man, Practice.

All in all I will wait to see how Fields looks in games that matter before anointing him the next big thing or even a viable NFL franchise QB.

Yeah so much hype for a practice...