2021 Training camp news and notes

Sad People

16 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean you literally said "multiple people are going to lose their jobs because they didn't take him" haha.

You didn't say the word anoint specifically, but, c'mon - that's what you were getting at.

I don't even necessarily think he won't be great but you can't say "this kid is gonna cost people jobs!" and then get defensive when someone implies people are anointing the kid early... 

I don’t think me saying that I think (even said imo at the end) he’ll cost people jobs in the end is anointing him. That’s me saying he was a very good QB prospect worth the risk (especially where Denver was picking/where he ended up going in the draft) of where he was taken and a team that has no such thing on the roster being stupid for not sprinting to the podium for him.

I love Trevor Lawrence and think he’ll be a top 10-12 QB for the next 12-15 years, but that doesn’t mean I know for a fact he’ll be that, just like I don’t know Fields will definitely hit. 

Denver has a below average situation at the most pivotal spot in all of pro sports and had an elite level prospect at that very same position available to them without having to trade additional assets and passed.

That is indeed a decision that can get people fired. Paton may not lose his job directly from not taking Fields, but you aren’t winning many games until that position is vastly improved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don’t think me saying that I think (even said imo at the end) he’ll cost people jobs in the end is anointing him. That’s me saying he was a very good QB prospect worth the risk (especially where Denver was picking/where he ended up going in the draft) of where he was take and a team that has no such thing on the roster being stupid for not taking a chance.

I love Trevor Lawrence and think he’ll be a top 10-12 QB for the next 12-15 years, but that doesn’t mean I know for a fact he’ll be that, just like I don’t know Fields will definitely hit. Doesn’t make it less dumb of Denver to do what they did.

Yeah I guess so, but like, logically speaking: those GMs aren't losing their jobs if Fields isn't a success haha. They're not going to get canned for passing on a guy who doesn't become a good NFL QB. So I feel like it's kind of inherent in your statement that you do think he's going to become quite good, if you're predicting GMs are losing their jobs over it.

I don't disagree either, was just an odd discrepancy to see. Carry on. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah I guess so, but like, logically speaking: those GMs aren't losing their jobs if Fields isn't a success haha. They're not going to get canned for passing on a guy who doesn't become a good NFL QB. So I feel like it's kind of inherent in your statement that you do think he's going to become quite good, if you're predicting GMs are losing their jobs over it.

I do think he’ll be very good. But like any prospect you don’t know if they’ll work out in the end. 

In my eyes a team passing on a legit QB prospect when that position isn’t settled is basically vastly increasing your chances of getting fired as I stated in my original post. I feel similar about Philly passing on Fields as well, although they at least have a bit more of an unknown back there in Hurts.

I’ll never forget when we passed on Deshaun Watson (not as disappointed now) and Patrick Mahomes (KC/Reid did wonders though) for Leonard Fournette because we didn’t want to toss in the towel on Bortles. Then did it again with Lamar and took Taven Bryan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I do think he’ll be very good. But like any prospect you don’t know if they’ll work out in the end. 

In my eyes a team passing on a legit QB prospect when that position isn’t settled is basically vastly increasing your chances of getting fired as I stated in my original post. I feel similar about Philly passing on Fields as well, although they at least have a bit more of an unknown back there in Hurts.

I’ll never forget when we passed on Deshaun Watson (not as disappointed now) and Patrick Mahomes (KC/Reid did wonders though) for Leonard Fournette because we didn’t want to toss in the towel on Bortles. Then did it again with Lamar and took Taven Bryan.

Yeah that's true. Don't forget though I'm sure there were just as many "I can't believe my team passed on Matt Leinart/Brady Quinn/Johnny Manziel!" NFL fans out there based on where those guys were drafted, their teams needing QBs, and still passing them up haha. 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I don’t think me saying that I think (even said imo at the end) he’ll cost people jobs in the end is anointing him. That’s me saying he was a very good QB prospect worth the risk (especially where Denver was picking/where he ended up going in the draft) of where he was taken and a team that has no such thing on the roster being stupid for not sprinting to the podium for him.

I love Trevor Lawrence and think he’ll be a top 10-12 QB for the next 12-15 years, but that doesn’t mean I know for a fact he’ll be that, just like I don’t know Fields will definitely hit. 

Whoa, I take back what I said. “People will be fired because they didn’t draft this unproven prospect” is annoitment. To say it isn’t is semantics. 

2 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Whoa, I take back what I said. “People will be fired because they didn’t draft this unproven prospect” is annoitment. To say it isn’t is semantics. 

I forgot, we can’t talk about what we think/project these players will be down the road or be critical of front office decisions regarding the draft on footballsfuture. Pure facts and proven stats are the only way to speak our opinions on here.

Sometimes I forget what site I’m on, sorry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Vikings fans are done with Kirk. Oof.

I'll also probably be "done" with Nick Bosa sooner rather than later :(

Love how much the media pounded him on this. He claims later in the video he believes in the protocol but he strongly implied he is only following them to follow them and doesn't care about his and other's risk factor beyond them. 

Do his kids go to school? Is he gonna avoid them all season? If not his vigilance play can go pound sand. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

They will lose their jobs because their teams lose that will be related to their draft picks ( which have a lot to do with scouts and asst. coaches but...).  Missing on either players you take or those you don't for 2 straight years will get a GM canned ( much of the time).