Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We're really going to rule out a backup QB with a clean MRI? 

Benkert and Dole-something, this is really going to be an unbearable game to watch at a time when I'm craving Packers football. Lame.

Frustrating to say the least.  I could understand if we were talking about a potential starter, but we're talking about effectively a rookie QB.

• Like 1

Just now, NFLGURU said:

I feel for some of the fringe WRs and TEs.  Not that Love was lighting it up, but you go into a big fate determining game with a street QB.  I know a lot has already been determined but this doesn't help.  Life in the NFL....

I mean, I don't think there's a whole lot changing the room dynamics.  You've got Adams, Cobb, Rodgers, Lazard, and MVS as roster locks.  WR6 probably has Funchess as the leader, but if they opt to go in a different direction Malik Taylor offers ST value.  TE room is probably set as well.  Tonyan, Lewis, and Deguara are all roster locks.  TE4 probably is Dafney's to lose.  Assuming they go in with 4 TEs.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I don't think there's a whole lot changing the room dynamics.  You've got Adams, Cobb, Rodgers, Lazard, and MVS as roster locks.  WR6 probably has Funchess as the leader, but if they opt to go in a different direction Malik Taylor offers ST value.  TE room is probably set as well.  Tonyan, Lewis, and Deguara are all roster locks.  TE4 probably is Dafney's to lose.  Assuming they go in with 4 TEs.

Agree. but you also have PS considerations.   

Peter Bukowski -   If Jordan Love is “unlikely” to play Saturday, it’s going to bum out a lot of fans (and probably the team who wants Love to get important reps) but there’s still plenty of work to be done and jobs to win.

There’s a CB2 and RG spot still up for grabs. Contributors at S, LB, WR

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I feel for some of the fringe WRs and TEs.  Not that Love was lighting it up, but you go into a big fate determining game with a street QB.  I know a lot has already been determined but this doesn't help.  Life in the NFL....

I kinda have to agree with @CWood21. The WR room is set and Funchess can be stashed on some sort of IR list until his hammy cooperates. The best thing that could happen to ESB is if we were to trade him to another team at this point because the addition of Cobb knocked him out of the final WR room. I have little faith in Malik Taylor's ST abilities and less faith in him as a WR whereas Juwann Winfree is possibly the surprise player to make the team as a slot guy. TE's pretty set too if you really look at it. We stashed Nauta on IR, Dafney has probably leapfrogged Sternberger on the TE depth chart and the two other guys not named Tonyan, Lewis, or Deguara are a reclamation project and a dude we can stash on PS.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Future of franchise has weakened/damaged muscles around the most expensive/important joint in his body.

Pretty obvious why they're playing it cautious.

Fortunately, Benkert has played quite well and deserves to be carried on as QB2 in the event Love's injury lingers into the season. None of us really thought that much about him coming aboard but I'm sure we're all now pretty damn grateful for his presence and play.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

There’s a CB2 and RG spot still up for grabs. Contributors at S, LB, WR

Runyan has been in a sophomore slump, which is the only reason any Guard position is open. IDK what his deal is but he really needs to return to his form from early last year and improve upon it. I wouldn't be too concerned about the Safety group outside of the starters TBH. One of Black, Scott, or Uphoff is most likely going to bump off Redmond unless none of those guys can hack it on ST's IMO. I wouldn't be so worried about WR either given the depth of that position, but ILB should be quite interesting given that IIRC they moved Kamal Martin out to EDGE. That group should be good-to-go f Burks can continue to build off of the first preseason game along with Barnes taking a step forward.

13 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree. but you also have PS considerations.   

The 53 man roster is pretty much set.  And the PS isn't going to have a ton of variation from the guys that didn't make the 53 man roster.  You're going to get to keep 16 players on the PS, so you're likely carrying 1 QB (Benkert), 1 RB (Taylor), 2-3 WRs/TEs, 2-3 OL, 2 DL, 2 EDGE, 1 ILB, and 4 DBs.  Or something along the lines.  One game shouldn't be the deciding factor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

I kinda have to agree with @CWood21. The WR room is set and Funchess can be stashed on some sort of IR list until his hammy cooperates. The best thing that could happen to ESB is if we were to trade him to another team at this point because the addition of Cobb knocked him out of the final WR room. I have little faith in Malik Taylor's ST abilities and less faith in him as a WR whereas Juwann Winfree is possibly the surprise player to make the team as a slot guy. TE's pretty set too if you really look at it. We stashed Nauta on IR, Dafney has probably leapfrogged Sternberger on the TE depth chart and the two other guys not named Tonyan, Lewis, or Deguara are a reclamation project and a dude we can stash on PS.

Unless they trade Funchess, he's going to be on the 53 man roster IMO.  And if you IR him before the 53 man roster is set, he's not able to return IIRC.  ESB is trade bait at this point.  Maybe some sends a conditional 8th round pick for him, but the Cobb acquisition knocked him out of the WR room like you mentioned.  You at least get a pass for Sternberger being suspended for the first two games, and hoping that the TE room sorts itself out in the meantime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Runyan has been in a sophomore slump, which is the only reason any Guard position is open. IDK what his deal is but he really needs to return to his form from early last year and improve upon it. I wouldn't be too concerned about the Safety group outside of the starters TBH. One of Black, Scott, or Uphoff is most likely going to bump off Redmond unless none of those guys can hack it on ST's IMO. I wouldn't be so worried about WR either given the depth of that position, but ILB should be quite interesting given that IIRC they moved Kamal Martin out to EDGE. That group should be good-to-go f Burks can continue to build off of the first preseason game along with Barnes taking a step forward.

I don't necessarily think it's Runyan not seizing the position so much as none of the OGs have really stepped up.  And I think that LaFleur is giving everyone a shot at winning the position.  For me, it's been Patrick's position until someone can take it from him.  I think he's more likely moving back to that backup IOL by the end of the season, so until Newman or Runyan steals the position he'll be the starting RG.  Black and Scott are both likely the backup S.  I think if they carry a 5th safety, it's going to come down to Redmond or Uphoff, but I think Uphoff is destined for the PS.