Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

Serious question, what has Shemar Jean-Charles done on the football field to deserve this anointing as next year's slot corner? 

I've not seen a lot of camp buzz about this guy and he didn't stand out in week 1 of the preseason either. Just wondering why all the love for a guy who is not only slow but didn't particularly test well in other areas either. I think his RAS was 4.27 if memory serves me. 

4 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I’m still bullish about Sullivan. When he’s good he’s really good. Hope he’s more consistent this season. 

I'll admit to having an NFCGC bias against the guy (and Redmond......) - but hope he does improve and outside of the expected cap crunch dont discount keeping him around.

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Serious question, what has Shemar Jean-Charles done on the football field to deserve this anointing as next year's slot corner? 

I've not seen a lot of camp buzz about this guy and he didn't stand out in week 1 of the preseason either. Just wondering why all the love for a guy who is not only slow but didn't particularly test well in other areas either. I think his RAS was 4.27 if memory serves me. 

I'm curious myself. I see him as PS guy at best right now (unless his ST snaps and ability keep him rostered)

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Have people done that?  Anointed him?  I don't recall seeing much of that, but yeah, if so obviously that shouldn't be assumed.  

Inclusion as a possibility, sure.  "I hope he works out and earns it", sure, I'm all in for that kind of hope and optimism, sure.  But assumption/expectation, absolutely not.  

I have seen SJC "anointed" onto the 53-man roster in >half of the roster projections.  I see the logic in that:  healthy draft picks who are 5th round or higher have been very rarely waived.  So, saying 5th-round => probable has precedence. 

Still, he's a pretty late-5th guy.  We haven't heard much "SJC looking good, SJC making plays" reports from camp attenders.  We have seen a couple of SJC-got-beat reports.  His RAS was crummy, and relative to media draft reports, being drafted as high as late 5th was perhaps surprising.  So, he'd seem like a guy the Packers might waive to PS, with limited risk that other teams would love him and claim him.  (Or that you'd regret it much later, even in the unlikely event that he was claimed.)  So *if* they kept a Yiacom or Gaines for special teams ahead of SJC, I'd not be shocked.  

• Like 2

Newman to start at RG Saturday. Biggest surprise to me out of training camp is that Runyan and Patrick have not nailed down G positions. Not sure if it's a glass half full or glass half empty situation. I've always felt Newman had more upside than Patrick, but i thought Patrick would have this spot nailed down. We'll see.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I believe because he mainly played it in college and the team talks about his smarts and physical play mostly.

SJC played mostly outside at App St.,but he's always been projected as a slot in the NFL. So I see him as a guy they will develop into a slot starter eventually, but who will have to earn his way on ST until then. I'd be very surprised if they expose him to waivers. 

24 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Newman to start at RG Saturday. Biggest surprise to me out of training camp is that Runyan and Patrick have not nailed down G positions. Not sure if it's a glass half full or glass half empty situation. I've always felt Newman had more upside than Patrick, but i thought Patrick would have this spot nailed down. We'll see.

I'm rooting for Newman to force staff to play him.

• Like 1

Has there been any talk of Lazard? Like Adams gets his normal highlights, heard MVS is taking another step because he is catching everything (sans like one drop), Tonyan is the same and have heard things about all the others Devin, Winfee and Rodgers...

but I have heard nothing about Lazard.

46 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Has there been any talk of Lazard? Like Adams gets his normal highlights, heard MVS is taking another step because he is catching everything (sans like one drop), Tonyan is the same and have heard things about all the others Devin, Winfee and Rodgers...

but I have heard nothing about Lazard.

Lazard has been very steady. Had a couple good days in camp when I was there. He kind of is who he is. He's a solid WR in this system with his ability to block and run routes out of PA. 

On 8/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think there are lots of questions surrounding the OL. How do you see that as settled?

There are a lot of questions, but very few about who makes the roster.  As soon as Bahk is back you're almost certainly looking at Bahk-Jenkins-Myers-???-Turner as the starting five; the only real battle is whether Patrick holds onto the starting spot or one of the younger guys takes it from him.  Bahk, Jenkins, Myers, Turner, Patrick and Newman are likely locks to make the roster, so the question is whether all of Braden/Hanson/Runyan make it, or if one of them gives up a spot to Kelly/Yosh, or if all three + one of Kelly/Yosh make it 10 (real unlikely).  I would have assumed Kelly was a likely lock on the contract he has, but it seems like he's had a pretty weak camp and they may decide to save the money and let one of the swing guys just cover back-up tackle.  This is especially easy with guys like Turner and Jenkins on the team who can play wherever.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:44 PM, incognito_man said:

Innis Gaines, Royce Newman and Garvin for me as well.

Just got a feel about Gaines. I think he sticks and might turn into something someday.

I'd love to see Newman force the staff to start him.

I am desperate for anything behind our top 3 EDGE and Garvin intrigued me in the draft.

Good call on Gaines.  Finally got around to watching the rest of the preseason game and he's a keeper.  Reminds me of a pocket sized Krys Barnes in a lot of ways, plays fast as soon as he sees it and he sees it pretty quick.  Wish I had measurables on him, but from the little bit of what you can see on the TV copy I don't have any concerns.  Moves well and has a bit of burst to him when closes.  Only real concern is that the DB room is pretty crowded on the backend; feel like he probably should make the 53 but sort of expect him not to.  

Garvin does nothing for me; he should be a better player than he is, but he's just so underwhelming every time I try to watch him.  I can't say I remember much about him in this preseason game, other than not being impressed when I focused on him, so I may have to go back and see what my follow-up thoughts are.  Team needs one of these reserve OLB to step up though; Gary and the Smiths not playing has really laid bare how empty that cupboard is.  Rivers is probably the best of the rest so far, although Galeai occasionally flashes.  Lot of athletic ability in that group but just about none of it shows up on tape right now.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 12:32 PM, incognito_man said:

Exactly. Wasn't any chatter about Ento on here, so would be awesome if he turns into something good.

(Although I recall reading his name from @MrBobGray a few times this off-season I think)

Ento has the man abilities you kinda expect from a former WR, but I'm a bit surprised how good his game sense is for the defensive side of the ball.  Doesn't panic when the ball is in the air and is always looking to make a play on it, which is the talent you want most out of your DBs if you're looking for diamonds in the rough.  Kinda guy you like having at depth, because when he blows the coverage at least there's always a chance he'll make the big play on the next one.  Think he's gotta make the team at this point, because you can never have too many 6'1" boundary guys with long arms that can hang in man, especially with King guaranteed to be elsewhere in 2022.

• Like 1