Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The bathroom encounter lasted all of two minutes. The drunk girl in question initially told the police she wasn't raped, wasn't even sure if any sex occurred and the police admit that she could give them no clear account of what actually happened in the bathroom. The only DNA found was so minute that it could not be matched to anyone.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2010/04/16/Roethlisberger-documents-give-details/stories/201004160149

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/new-details-emerge-roethlisberger-case/NBaw8QO3a7O9uTgx4d9fcP/

You ever wonder why neither him nor the team appealed his suspension? 

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't think he's even looking at two months - his lawyer has multiple avenes to take even if charges get filed (plea deals, no contest options, etc). This is a first time offender as well, so Probation along with lifelong registration as a sex offender is very much an option here.

Based on what, exactly? And do you think "first time offender" works...with the sheer volume of charges against Watson?

You might end up being right...but there's no reasonable justification for that outcome. 

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

In a word: Yes.

Why? 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yes. If the prosecution feels there isn't enough evidence to go forward, they can scuffle the case. 

But...that has absolutely nothing to do with the filing of the case itself. Which @ET80 seemed to be implying. 

So what is your point if you are conceding that the criminal element to this can go away? Pretty sure that is the only point ET or I was making. 

• Like 1

Just now, Heinz D. said:

But...that has absolutely nothing to do with the filing of the case itself. Which @ET80 seemed to be implying. 

Please point out where I ever stated anything about filing cases. That bird has flown, several months ago, even before the NFL draft. Nowhere in today's discussion did I ever imply that cases would be unfiled, only dropped.

I don't think how I can be any cleaner than I am going to be right now:

Deshaun Watson will not face jail time because he's got a significant amount of money at his disposal to come to settlements, get criminal prosecutors to lessen charges, plea into deals with no time served, agree to probation and getting charges dropped.

That has been my stance since we started to talk. 

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The bathroom encounter lasted all of two minutes. The drunk girl in question initially told the police she wasn't raped, wasn't even sure if any sex occurred and the police admit that she could give them no clear account of what actually happened in the bathroom. The only DNA found was so minute that it could not be matched to anyone.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2010/04/16/Roethlisberger-documents-give-details/stories/201004160149

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/new-details-emerge-roethlisberger-case/NBaw8QO3a7O9uTgx4d9fcP/

What was the whole kerfuffle about, then? Why did it even come up in the first place? 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

So what is your point if you are conceding that the criminal element to this can go away? Pretty sure that is the only point ET or I was making. 

Why are you convinced the prosecutors won't proceed? 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Based on what, exactly? And do you think "first time offender" works...with the sheer volume of charges against Watson?

You might end up being right...but there's no reasonable justification for that outcome. 

Let's be mindful of why we started chatting two hours ago:

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It's absolutely, COMPLETELY, unlikely at this point. And the league is probably going to suspend him for a substantial period of time either way...and it's kind of gobsmacking that they haven't already. 

Also--who the hell WANTS Watson right now? And why? 

To which I said:

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Source? From everything I'm hearing locally, calling it completely unlikely is as premature as calling it likely.

I'm not trying to state there is any reasonable outcome to be mindful here, I am merely pointing out you acting in absolutes to next steps is as shortsighted as others acting in absolutes in the opposite direction.

Let's reset to THIS moment, and continue.

Just now, RTTRUTH said:

You ever wonder why neither him nor the team appealed his suspension? 

1. Art Rooney II wasn't on Roethlisberger's side so no, I don't wonder about that. Art II coordinated the punishment with the league and said flat out he was going to be punished.

2. The media portrayed Roethlisberger as such as a scumbag, and indeed reveled in it because they mostly hated the guy for how he treated them, that it would have been a losing battle. With his owner already coming out and throwing him under the bus for the negative publicity, it would have been a moronic decision that would have likely saw him shipped out of Pittsburgh.

3. While there was no appeal, the suspension was knocked down to 4 games by the league. Which would have been about the best possible outcome of any appeal, anyway.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Why are you convinced the prosecutors won't proceed? 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Deshaun Watson will not face jail time because he's got a significant amount of money at his disposal to come to settlements, get criminal prosecutors to lessen charges, plea into deals with no time served, agree to probation and getting charges dropped.

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What was the whole kerfuffle about, then? Why did it even come up in the first place? 

It was the friends, not the girl in the bathroom, who pressed the issue. I also suspect they Googled him and probably saw something about the Nevada civil case (which is a whole other story). When she wanted to go home and denied anything happened at first, they pushed her to report him. No prosecutor was taking that case to court because the accuser would have been torn apart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:
8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Maybe.  And a STRONG "maybe", at that. 

But, if that happens, just how on earth do you think this leads to him being traded?

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

pretty sure I mentioned this, but settlements will be reached out of court and witnesses will dry up. 

There aren't settlements for criminal cases. Watson, as of now, is currently in danger of being charged with ten. 

12 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

It was the friends, not the girl in the bathroom, who pressed the issue. I also suspect they Googled him and probably saw something about the Nevada civil case (which is a whole other story). When she wanted to go home and denied anything happened at first, they pushed her to report him. No prosecutor was taking that case to court because the accuser would have been torn apart.

I did not know that.

Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Maybe.  And a STRONG "maybe", at that. 

I think we've seen it enough to say that it's on the table - and that's just for charges getting dropped. As far as no jail time? There is a litany of pathways to get that done, all which take a lawyer skilled in getting deals done - which is exactly who Rusty Hardin is (ask Roger Clemens). Plea deals, deferred adjudication, pre-trial interventions, pleading guilty to a lesser charge, plea of no contest with concessions of settlements and community service - the entire playbook is open for a guy who has millions at his disposal.

It shouldn't be, he should have to spend a significant amount of time in jail. But that's not how our system likes to work.