Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There are no NDAs signed after the fact.

Which is why I said "during civil settlement".

And there are no NDAs in criminal matters.

Which is why I said "during civil settlement".

At all. If someone attempted such a thing, any judge (yes, even a Texas judge)would throw it out immediately. 

Let me break down the order of operations here:

1. Both parties agree to settlement.

2. Both parties agree to terms of NDA.

3. As Law Enforcement gathers additional information, both sides inform Law Enforcement they will not be continuing this discussion per the terms of the settlement and NDA.

- If Law Enforcement wants to continue, their only recourse is to issue a subpoena, which can only happen if Law Enforcement chooses to pursue the case (which still hasn't happened).

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yet again...you can't pay out "hush money", and make a criminal charge go away. 

Going to reset again - criminal complaints have been filed. Not a single criminal case has been brought to the court at this time.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/26/ten-criminal-complaints-are-pending-against-deshaun-watson/

There is a significant difference between a criminal case and a criminal complaint. You cannot interchange those two terms, and a complaint being filed does NOT mean a charge is forthcoming.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There is a significant difference between a criminal case and a criminal complaint. You cannot interchange those two terms, and a complaint being filed does NOT mean a charge is forthcoming.

Yes, that is true. Charges have been filed. They have NOT been gone through and brought forth. 

You can believe that isn't going to happen, and that's fine. I will soon PM you about a bridge I'd like to sell. It's super cheap. 

And, yet again--there are no settlements for criminal charges. Or NDAs after the fact--in criminal, or civil cases. 

Watson is screwed, at least in the short term. No one is trading for him until 2022...if ever. 

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Going to reset again - criminal complaints have been filed. Not a single criminal case has been brought to the court at this time.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/26/ten-criminal-complaints-are-pending-against-deshaun-watson/

In other words, a police report has been made.  No arrest has been made at this time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yes, that is true. Charges have been filed. They have NOT been gone through and brought forth. 

You can believe that isn't going to happen, and that's fine. I will soon PM you about a bridge I'd like to sell. It's super cheap. 

And we're back to square one...

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It's absolutely, COMPLETELY, unlikely at this point. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Source? From everything I'm hearing locally, calling it completely unlikely is as premature as calling it likely.

I'm not the one playing in absolutes. You are. If you want to tunnel vision it, you're more than welcome to do so, but at least admit there are perhiperal views you're either not wanting to see... or you're flat out ignoring.

Ultimately, you're incorrectly interchanging two completely different legal terms and trying to extrapolate based on nothing of substance. Alternative outcomes have been presented to you, but you're sticking by your outcome... because you're incorrectly interchanging two completely different legal terms.

I can't help you with that, you're on your own.

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yes, that is true. Charges have been filed.

No. They have not been filed. This isn't a case of semantics, this isn't a precursor to an eventuality - this is factually incorrect. 

No. Criminal. Charges. Have. Been. Filed.

And, yet again--there are no settlements for criminal charges.

no one is suggesting it. But if all those witnesses settle in civil case the likelihood that they participate in a criminal trial drops near zero. THAT is what we are saying. The results of a civil settlement could sap any strength the criminal case had by turning witnesses uncooperative. Not sure why you cant bridge that gap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No. They have not been filed. This isn't a case of semantics, this isn't a precursor to an eventuality - this is factually incorrect. 

No. Criminal. Charges. Have. Been. Filed.

Yeah, it is semantics. You can pretend otherwise, but that's what that is. Charges have been brought, but the state (or county, or city, or whomever) haven't levelled them against Watson. Do you honestly think that won't happen? And, if so, do you honestly think that significantly increases the odds of some other franchise trading for Watson? Which franchise do you believe would do that? 

What exactly is your overall point? 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

no one is suggesting it. But if all those witnesses settle in civil case the likelihood that they participate in a criminal trial drops near zero. THAT is what we are saying. The results of a civil settlement could sap any strength the criminal case had by turning witnesses uncooperative. Not sure why you cant bridge that gap. 

Two of the current criminal filings against him were not in any civil suits. How exactly do those two women "settle" if they're only pressing criminal charges? 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, it is semantics. You can pretend otherwise, but that's what that is. Charges have been brought, but the state (or county, or city, or whomever) haven't levelled them against Watson.

Criminal Complaints and Criminal Charges are different things.

• Like 2

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Two of the current criminal filings against him were not in any civil suits. How exactly do those two women "settle" if they're only pressing criminal charges? 

You understand that two witness, and what they do or do not have to offer, is less than 22 yes? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Criminal Complaints and Criminal Charges are different things.

Oh my god. This is utterly insane. 

Yes...the complaints aren't officially "charges", until the Houston PD actually files them against Watson. Do you think they won't

And are you hell-bent on defending a guy who is most likely a sexual predator? Because that's disgusting, and beyond reprehensible...and that's what I'm seeing in this thread. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

You understand that two witness, and what they do or do not have to offer, is less than 22 yes? 

What are you even saying? 

The civil cases are automatically garbage? Or the criminal cases are?

I'm done debating folks defending a guy who is about 95% certain to be a loathsome sexual predator. 

Have a nice thread. It's a good look for the site. 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, it is semantics.

So, I simply can't help you now. You're willfully ignoring actual meaning at this point to bolster your own view, based on you willful ignorance. 

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Charges have been brought, but the state (or county, or city, or whomever) haven't levelled them against Watson. 

It's a complaint. Not a charge. This is significant. You keep glossing over it as if it is interchangeable - it is not.

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Do you honestly think that won't happen?

I feel as if we've covered this before, but... Back to square one again.

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm not the one playing in absolutes. You are.

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

And, if so, do you honestly think that significantly increases the odds of some other franchise trading for Watson? Which franchise do you believe would do that? 

5th time is a charm.

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm not the one playing in absolutes. You are. If you want to tunnel vision it, you're more than welcome to do so, but at least admit there are perhiperal views you're either not wanting to see... or you're flat out ignoring.

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What exactly is your overall point? 

The same thing I said five hours ago...calling it completely unlikely is as premature as calling it likely.

^

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh my god. This is utterly insane. 

Yes...the complaints aren't officially "charges", until the Houston PD actually files them against Watson. Do you think they won't

And are you hell-bent on defending a guy who is most likely a sexual predator? Because that's disgusting, and beyond reprehensible...and that's what I'm seeing in this thread. 

What are you even saying? 

The civil cases are automatically garbage? Or the criminal cases are?

I'm done debating folks defending a guy who is about 95% certain to be a loathsome sexual predator. 

Have a nice thread. It's a good look for the site. 

I don’t think anyone is necessarily defending Watson but explaining how criminal proceedings work. You can’t just accuse someone of something and think charges will be brought to them. There has to be sufficient evidence of a crime taking place. Not hearsay, not your perspective of the events but an actual crime that the district attorney can present to a jury. Watson’s innocence or guilt will not fall on hearsay.

• Like 5