Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Rodgers and Watson both reporting

Houston now being willing to trade Watson

Watson not going to generate a strong return

What happened to all the promise of this offseason? I wanted chaos! I wanted elite QBs sitting out and forcing trades!

Next offseason could be crazy with potentially Watson, Rodgers & Wilson on the market. 

Jimmy G will also likely be on the market next offseason as well, although he's in a different tier than the above 3 

I've read that the 2022 rookie QB class isn't that strong at the moment (although a lot can change in a year). So, a weak rookie QB class and having 3 elite guys on the market could make for some crazy deals next year

Edited by 49ersfan

11 hours ago, Trojan said:

Skipping all the arguing about the legal aspects, what are the potential teams for Deshaun anyways? Denver with Lock/Bridgewater? Carolina with Darnold? Denver is the only one that makes sense to me as they are arguably a Deshaun away from being a SB contender. Assuming the rest of the off the field isn't an issue.

Still reports Carolina is interested.  However, I think it is a lot more likely they would make a strong offer next offseason as opposed to this season.  

I don't really see Watson getting traded this year.  I guess it could happen, but why would a team do so without knowing what his inevitable suspension will be?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

In a word: Yes. 

Unless a settlement is reached and all those who filed subsequently drop the criminal compleints - which is absolutely on the table.

Sadly enough, the burden of proof for sexual assault is pretty significant. Sexual misconduct - which is what's being alleged and corroborated with texts, Instagram messages, etc - is what the evidence is pointing to in these cases, and are viewed as a Class B Misdemeanor and punishable by a six month sentence and a $2,000 fine.

https://www.nedbarnett.com/can-sexual-harassment-crime/

Now, given Rusty Hardin is probably on a seven figure retainer for this case, do you think his client is going to see ANY jail time? Any at all? 

Bill Cosby spent three years for nearly 10x the charges - not because he was old, not because there's evidence of innocence/reasonable doubt, but because he has money. Money wins out in these instances.

Bill Cosby for a significantly bigger amount of victims, tbh. Watson has 22 cases over a 10 month period, and evidence is limited to digital correspondence. Cosby has hundred of cases over three decades, complete with physical evidence and a transcript of admission from Cosby himself.

That was good for three years - significantly more evidence, an actual confession of guilt over the course of 30 years and all it got him was three years.

I'm not saying it's right - quite opposite, it's very wrong - but it's how this works out when you've got a war chest that lawyers can access.

Not enough... which is telling me the system is working as it always had.

Money solves issues that would be huge problems for people of average means.

QlGTdNZ.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

no team would touch him with a 10ft pole right now that isn't already financially committed to him repairing his image enough to remain employable

If the Texans cut Watson and pretend the off the field complications allowed them to recoup all the future guarantees. Now he's a FA with no strings attached. Who is interested in signing him without having to give up compensation? Surely the Broncos would. Would Washington? I think so. Both of those teams have whoever their QB1 is in case suspension or further complication. Denver and WFT look like real SB contenders with that move. If they would sign him as a FA, they would trade for him. It's just then a question of compensation. I think something with high compensation that conditionally scales to a mini-load of mid rounders if he doesn't take the field for X games by the 2022 draft is fair. 2023 compensation based on if he reports to 2022's training camp/is on the roster of the new team. Something like that would give the Texans the optics of you traded him for 3 firsts or whatever, but give the new team the out of you just blew a 3rd and a 5th for the chance and it didn't work out.

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Still reports Carolina is interested.  However, I think it is a lot more likely they would make a strong offer next offseason as opposed to this season.  

I don't really see Watson getting traded this year.  I guess it could happen, but why would a team do so without knowing what his inevitable suspension will be?  

This is my likely thought as well. Watson isn't even getting disposed until February 2022, just let that come and go. 

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Watson is a scumbag.

Honestly if the Dolphins do trade for him (I still believe they were never as interested as the media was trying to paint) I'd likely renounce the team and just become a permanent Titans fan.

He clearly is a predator. And I hope he never plays another down in the NFL.

Come to Jacksonville, Nacho!  :)

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

what does poor GM/HC decisions by Bill O'Brien matter in what Watson has allegedly been accused of?   Does that give him a pass to potentially be a disgusting human being?

Could they claim that BoB's ineptitude drove Watson to numerous bouts of temporary insanity?  :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ooof... given their recent situation with workplace harassment? I can see them hesitating.

Realistically they would be the team with extra PR firms consulting on the optics of harassment and coming out with a rehabbed image of redemption. They are already spinning harassment and the old logo controversy is in the past with the old team(s). Under new leadership have everyone take consent classes, guest speakers and whatnot. They could make a real effort the rehab both situations at once instead of just hope the issue passes. If they made a trade on conditions they could even cut him and distance themselves from harassment if the situation gets worse.

Having the new team with honest attempts to put harassment in the past, and combine with winning would allow them the platform to spin new year-new you type stuff.

edit: bringing Deshaun in now at the start of a redemption year seems to me like better optics for them, than say they try and repair their image this year and then swing for Watson next offseason after working on their image for months. Would it not be better to repair his image as redemption alongside the team? Like WFT working on themselves, then in March trade for Watson looks hypocritical. Trading now, rehabbing both images and cutting bait if he doesn't look better just improves their image I would think. Now also allows conditional picks giving them a cheaper deal with outs compared to letting other teams bid it up.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

Just now, Trojan said:

Having the new team with honest attempts to put harassment in the past, and combine with winning would allow them the platform to spin new year-new you type stuff.

That's... actually a pretty solid line of reasoning.

14 hours ago, squire12 said:
14 hours ago, ET80 said:
14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Watson is a scumbag and I don't want him to play another down in the NFL tbh.

This time last year, just about all of us would have never even thought this. Watson was a young QB who was in a bad situation with Bill O'Brien ruining his career with dumb trades.

Funny how a year changes things.

what does poor GM/HC decisions by Bill O'Brien matter in what Watson has allegedly been accused of?   Does that give him a pass to potentially be a disgusting human being?

ET80 isnt saying that at all. Your miscomprehending him

Hes saying that the worst thing that we knew of was BOB being a bad GM/HC, and you kinda felt for Watson.

Then, you find out that your QB is a predator and it totally puts things in perspective

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Tony Buzbee is full of it

but he's not in the same conversation as Watson. Watson is an actual criminal.

Have they even come out and said what the 10 criminal charges are for?  I'm not following the case too closely, but so far, all I've heard is that he had a bunch of massages wherein he made some incredibly lame attempts at trying to get a happy ending.

13 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

but to put it another way

NDA at this point = admission of Watson's guilt to the Public

admission of Watsons's guilt to the Public = Public denouncemnt

Public denouncement has been the shining precedent of things that the NFL actually does take action on.

Waton's screwed. As he should be.

I think this gets underrated. 

Anything short of Watson being absolved entirely is going to be a lightning rod. 

Is he guilty as sin? I don't know. I have my educated guesses on how the case will play out, but "knowing" is different. 

It's unfortunate, because he might just be innocent deep down of what he's been accused of. But without being totally absolved, he's always going to carry a reputation in the eyes of the general public- and even then that may never be enough to avoid being a controversial addition for a franchise, and I think we can all agree that it would bring people who otherwise totally ignore the NFL out of the woodwork due only to the nature of what he's been accused of. 

Without going into whether I think he should be screwed or not, I do agree, he's definitely screwed for the foreseeable future in several ways.

Him showing up instead of sitting home (smart move, imo, for several reasons) sort of indicates as much. He's rich, but not even he could withstand $50k/day fines on top of his legal fees and potential settlements. 

Personally, I think if he was certain he would be traded for, he wouldn't be attending anything. This is damage control.