Training Camp 2021!

N4L

Wouldn’t mind kicking the tires on Michael Jordan. Was a fourth round pick a couple years back to a bad Bengals team. From what I read, he was playing better this preseason, and we could certainly use the help on our interior O-line moving forward if we could sneak him onto our PS and try to develop him. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to reserve judgement on the roster until we see the PS and the IR designations happen, but some weird things happened today.

Keeping Compton over McKivitz seems very strange. By most accounts, McKivitz was looking pretty good through each pre-season game. I really don't get this one at all.

Both McKivitz and Brendel looked good and Compton really didn't stand out at all to me. This is a real head-scratcher. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm trying to reserve judgement on the roster until we see the PS and the IR designations happen, but some weird things happened today.

Keeping Compton over McKivitz seems very strange. By most accounts, McKivitz was looking pretty good through each pre-season game. I really don't get this one at all.

Both McKivitz and Brendel looked good and Compton really didn't stand out at all to me. This is a real head-scratcher. 

Yeah I agree, I think Brendel is back. I feel like McKivitz might get claimed tho. I hope we try to improve from Compton tbh. 

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Too bad Griffith didn't make it as a backup. At least they got a 6th round pick out of it. If he blows up for the Broncos I'll be numb. 

I actually think he made the team but Denver wanted him and they felt the difference between Griffith and whomever was immediately behind him was smaller than the value gained on the pick swap/future pick. When someone offers you more than you think a guy is worth based on his replacement value, you take it. Thats just good business. 

Griffith was really good this preseason. He was a standout to me and one of the growing lists of reasons I have the upmost confidence in this defensive coaching staff. 

As far as McKivitz vs Compton goes, it was obviously a surprise, simply because compton is freaking terrible and you'd think it would be easy to keep him on the PS. I think its pretty clear we intend to keep McKivitz in the building so either Compton has a good agent who told us that other teams had called him or he told us he would retire if we cut him/he didnt make the 53. Essentially, we want to keep both guys and the only way to do that was to try and slip McK through the wire. 

The way they talked about McK when we drafted him was that they just loved what kind of dude he was, and that they werent exactly sure what position he would play (since he played all 5 in college) and how they couldnt wait to get him in a pro weight room. We dont really know how they feel about his progress in that department but I am not sure how many other teams were talking to McK when we drafted him, so its possible we already know that the rest of the league isnt that interested in him which makes it easier to slip him through

I am not really worried about McK getting claimed by another team. I dont think there is much upside there. At best, he is a depth guard/spot starter at guard. I dont think he has the same positional versatility that Kyle/John thought he might have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So it looks like it is going to take longer than a week for Lance's finger to heal. Could mean he does not play much, if at all in the first few weeks of the season. Bummer. 

Doing a light Google search, I found that minor avulsion fractures can take about 3 weeks and more severe ones can take up to 12. It sounds like Lance is probably closer to the 3 week mark. 

Can you imagine what the internet will look like if we put him on the IR for the first 3 weeks? LOL

Hopefully, he sits week 1 and will be full go week 2 in Philly as that would be 3 weeks post injury.

• Like 1

For the Practice Squad for me:

Must Haves

• Jake Brendel, IOL
  • Alex Barrett, EDGE
  • Darrion Daniels, NT
  • Elijah Sullivan, LB
  • Alex Myres, CB
  • Jared Mayden, S

Would like to Have

• Nate Sudfeld, QB
  • Wayne Gallman, RB
  • Josh Hokit, FB
  • Nsimba Webster, WR
  • Travis Benjamin, WR
  • Jordan Mathews, TE
  • Mychal Pruitt, TE
  • Senio Kelemete, G
  • Dakota Shepley, C
  • Eddie Yarbrough, EDGE
  • Justin Hilliard, LB

Actually like listening to Middlekauff and Haberman...But Middlekauff was like this team wasn't a great covering team in 2019 despite having Sherman and that Ward is someone that will just come up and hit you, but he's not a good cover man...Wait whaaaaaat??? Ward is one of the best at his position in coverage lol.

It's hilarious and at the same time annoying how folks still can't grasp why this team continues to finish in the top 5 in coverage. Our safeties, especially when it is Ward/Tartt back there, are REALLY REALLY good in preventing the big play, and in the case of Ward, he's just so versatile and can cover damn near anyone.

The following players got claimed:

Shepley - Seahawks

Webster - Bears

Hilliard - Giants

I cannot for the life of me understand the Hillard pick up but whatever, good luck to him in NY.

Not surprised about Shepley as he looked really good in the first preseason game. I didn't watch him as closely this last game but he looks solid.

Bears have terrible WR depth so I guess Webster can contribute there or on STs. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

It's this type of stuff that makes me say we are fiscally irresponsible more often than people realize. Seems like every year we have a lot of money allocated to guys we get zero snaps from. 

There should have been offset language. If we didn't have offset language, then it makes sense he would go elsewhere and double his income... 

• Like 1