Rodgers is back.

Pugger

4 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Mmm, my understanding is it’s 26M dead on GB’s cap next year.

Another thing...if he's traded BEFORE that 7 days prior to 2023 season, he's not on the roster so the contract wouldn't void and we would be a key to spread cap hit to 2023 as well I assume?

Beat me to it....but I'll dump it here anyway....

PFT - As it turns out, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers got only one concession for showing up or training camp.

PFT has confirmed via multiple sources, as initially reported by Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, that the Packers did not waive the ability to recover $11.5 million in signing bonus money previously paid to Rodgers, if he holds out or retires in 2022.

Multiple reports, beginning with Adam Schefter of ESPN, indicated that the Packers had given up the ability to go after the money. They haven’t. Which means that the Packers technically have the power to squeeze Rodgers if they decide not to trade him in 2022 and if he decides not to show up.

It’s unclear why multiple reports emerged suggesting that the Packers had waived that right. Although there’s some confusion as to whether the Packers could have waived their ability to collect the money, it’s likely that they could. It doesn’t matter because they didn’t.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Another thing...if he's traded BEFORE that 7 days prior to 2023 season, he's not on the roster so the contract wouldn't void and we would be a key to spread cap hit to 2023 as well I assume?

I think so? But that would be after the draft, so there is that. You’d be waiting a year to use those picks (I think)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

Mmm, my understanding is it’s 26M dead on GB’s cap next year.

I think we have some clarity. 

If I understand this correctly, we eat $26-27M if we trade him before the NFL draft, and want to know what our picks will be.

If we wait until after June 1st, it’s only 7-8M, but the picks would obviously be for the next year’s draft. 

That’s how I understand this, though I am an amateur.

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

No issue pushing the picks back a year and trading him in June to whoever misses out on a QB in next year's draft. 

That being said I'm starting to think he's not going anywhere.

I secretly think that too. I’ll plant my flag today and say they’re going to try to extend him. If he really still doesn’t want to be there anymore, then it won’t happen, but I do think they’ll try

• Like 1

One other thing is you could have the team you’re trading him to make some ‘22 picks for you (kind of like we joked Denver did with Surtain this year), but that’s a dicier proposition - really hasn’t been done in the NFL, other than the Manning/Rivers swap 

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

I secretly think that too. I’ll plant my flag today and say they’re going to try to extend him. If he really still doesn’t want to be there anymore, then it won’t happen, but I do think they’ll try

It’s clear he wants to stay. It’s like painfully obvious really. He can say it’s not about Love... but it is. It’s the idea of love. It’s the idea that there is an expiration date on him.

If he didn’t care he would of been, I’m out. Scream from the mountains trade me. He never did publicly. It’s because he literally loves it there.

I said it earlier in the process, I think he loves Matt, the system, etc. and I think he is mad that he worked to get this new system and coach etc and he only gets 3 years, when it was going to take 1 to get comfortable.

He is pissed and wants to stay.

• Like 1

Looking at Spotrac this is clear as day Rodgers will either be traded or extended at the end of 2021, no way in hell is he playing on this contract in Green Bay in 2022. 

Cap hit 2021: $27m down from the $39m
Cap hit 2022: $46m!!!!! 
Dead cap 2022: $26.8m
Create $19.2m in 2022 by trading him

8 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I think we have some clarity. 

If I understand this correctly, we eat $26-27M if we trade him before the NFL draft, and want to know what our picks will be.

If we wait until after June 1st, it’s only 7-8M, but the picks would obviously be for the next year’s draft. 

That’s how I understand this, though I am an amateur.

Basically if you trade him before the draft, it's $26.8m in dead cap and save around $19m-$20m in savings. Post June 1, you're saving that extra $7m (dead cap around $19m) for 2022. I doubt the Packers care much about that difference.

If they don't extend Rodgers, I think he's traded in March or at least before the draft. 

So as some have brought up, the Packers are now around $10m or so under the cap. So the question becomes, do we make another move or two and just go for absolute broke this season? Maybe try to add another vet around cutdown day (still think we could use a DL) and then save the rest for in-season moves including maybe a trade deadline pickup?