Training Camp 2021

AKRNA

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You may have just jinxed them, Ben. 

Context is always going to be important and difficult to assess just from tweets. But read the situation was two minute drill with no time outs, Lock was 6/7 driving into the red zone, then on 3rd down with 30 seconds left he threw the int to Simmons. That said, apparently he had room to run for the first down so still wasn't a great decision but the context does make it easier to digest. For Bridgewater, apparently the pick was on miscommunication where Farris kept running vertical and Teddy read back shoulder and led to the pick. This after also driving down the field to the red zone under the same situation. With Teddy throwing to and miscommunication with someone also not likely to make the team im not overly worried bout those two specific picks. 

Cant wait for the first preseason game to be able to actually see what progress everyone has made... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The one thing that stands out on the videos I have seen from TC is how long Surtain II is. With the reports of him looking like a seasoned pro out there, what are the chances we use his speed and length to match up against Kelce and Waller?

Welcome to the NFL, kid 😄

He's really worth watching. I've read all I can about the kid and what really stands out is I haven't read one negative review. That's almost unheard of.

A TC review I read the other day was raving about him. The author said he was a steal at #9 and figured in the draft review in a few years he'll be a top a top 3 performer.

Really interested in seeing how Fangio uses him. What a tool to have in your DB box.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:51 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

I think this is a tad 'glass half full' for me.

Those names, sans Shelby Harris, are rotational guys that really haven't shown much in meaningful NFL games at this point. Purcell, Shelby Harris and two significant contributions from a combination of Agim/Jones/Williams could be enough (assuming Von and Chubb stay healthy).

The Stephen signing reminds me a lot of Antonio Smith. Solid NFL vet, multi year starter, never did much, but as a guy coming of the bench in 2015 had a real impact. Anytime you've got NFL starters as your backups your depth is looking pretty good.

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

He's really worth watching. I've read all I can about the kid and what really stands out is I haven't read one negative review. That's almost unheard of.

A TC review I read the other day was raving about him. The author said he was a steal at #9 and figured in the draft review in a few years he'll be a top a top 3 performer.

Really interested in seeing how Fangio uses him. What a tool to have in your DB box.

Yeah, Surtain has a great chance at being a Top 3-5 CB in this league, and at worst his floor will be a #2CB. He grew up around the game and is already getting rave reviews. It was a safe pick, but one with extreme upside. I am excited for his career. He'll always be compared to Fields as they both progress in this league. Will be curious to see how it shakes out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Yeah, Surtain has a great chance at being a Top 3-5 CB in this league, and at worst his floor will be a #2CB. He grew up around the game and is already getting rave reviews. It was a safe pick, but one with extreme upside. I am excited for his career. He'll always be compared to Fields as they both progress in this league. Will be curious to see how it shakes out.

No matter how good Surtain becomes, if Fields becomes a franchise QB then Paton made the wrong pick.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 2:26 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

The one thing that stands out on the videos I have seen from TC is how long Surtain II is. With the reports of him looking like a seasoned pro out there, what are the chances we use his speed and length to match up against Kelce and Waller?

Welcome to the NFL, kid 😄

It'll be interesting for opposing defenses when PS2, Strnad and Browning are on the field for the Broncos on a 3rd down, whose gonna bet covering the TE and RB, who's rushing the QB ......

At this point, the staff has to have a good idea who the #1 QB will be.

I know the media will drag it out for clicks and rating and Ellis, always the money-making opportunist, has probably instructed the staff to remain opaque.

What will tell the tale, however, is who is getting more first team reps with the ones. After today’s break there will be a stratification, let’s pay close attention to that. (And then let’s count the days until free agency 2022 opens and we can bring Aaron to Denver.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

No matter how good Surtain becomes, if Fields becomes a franchise QB then Paton made the wrong pick.

Jeez, you’re a frickin broken record, we’ve heard your opinion for the 4 millionth time, you should like my ex-wife. Get a new take, PLEASE, this one is older than dirt

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Jeez, you’re a frickin broken record, we’ve heard your opinion for the 4 millionth time, you should like my ex-wife. Get a new take, PLEASE, this one is older than dirt

But he’s exactly right. And so far the returns in Fields have been very positive according to my family in Chicagoland.

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

But he’s exactly right. And so far the returns in Fields have been very positive according to my family in Chicagoland.

Wouldn't Chubb vs. Allen be a more tangible complaint, much more viable comparison given the statistical info. If the comparison was about re-drafting a better QB, this should at least be part of the conversation, rather than Fields over and over again, shouldn't it ? 

Hope this one was more a less censor-friendly post

Edited by Cutler06

Why you all complaining?  It is what it is, we have Surtain, who by all accounts looks like the next shutdown CB for the Broncos, which is always needed, and he also looks like the kind of kid you'd want a the face of the franchise for awhile.  Alas we wait another year for a QB.  Or, maybe Lock puts it all together, or Teddy becomes the second coming of Rich Gannon.  

11 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Wouldn't Chubb vs. Allen be a more tangible complaint, much more viable comparison given the statistical info. If the comparison was about re-drafting a better QB, this should at least be part of the conversation, rather than Fields over and over again, shouldn't it ? 

Yes it would - because Allen is a proven entity, Fields is not. And yes - Elway didn't draft Allen because he had who on the roster? - oh yea - Paxton Lynch. And he thought that Case Keenum was the second coming.

We have had five years of having no QB - and we need one. In such circumstances you keep firing darts until you draft a guy that can be the franchise QB (or you sign a franchise guy) - what you cannot afford to do is pass up on a guy who just might solve your problem.

58 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Yes it would - because Allen is a proven entity, Fields is not. And yes - Elway didn't draft Allen because he had who on the roster? - oh yea - Paxton Lynch. And he thought that Case Keenum was the second coming.

We have had five years of having no QB - and we need one. In such circumstances you keep firing darts until you draft a guy that can be the franchise QB (or you sign a franchise guy) - what you cannot afford to do is pass up on a guy who just might solve your problem.

Agreed, I was in favor of Fields as well, but we just don't need you to harp on the past, it doesn't change anything NOW, does it ?? You may like being an "I told you so", I for one HATE that type of attitude and monotony, it serves no purpose.