Training Camp 2021

AKRNA

On 8/5/2021 at 1:42 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

At this point, the staff has to have a good idea who the #1 QB will be.

I know the media will drag it out for clicks and rating and Ellis, always the money-making opportunist, has probably instructed the staff to remain opaque.

What will tell the tale, however, is who is getting more first team reps with the ones. After today’s break there will be a stratification, let’s pay close attention to that. (And then let’s count the days until free agency 2022 opens and we can bring Aaron to Denver.)

if they know, they will need to make the call. no reason to drag it out. and to me based on reports..it doesn't seem like a guy has made himself the clear starter

20 hours ago, champ11 said:

if they know, they will need to make the call. no reason to drag it out. and to me based on reports..it doesn't seem like a guy has made himself the clear starter

I still firmly believe Lock is the starter, but the coaching staff is thinking (hoping?) that Teddy will be consistently above average to put more pressure on Lock to perform. I still believe we win 9, maybe 10 games barring significant injury, regardless of the QB, but won't be enough to make the playoffs or make noise in the playoffs, and we go guns blazing at Rodgers next offseason.

I don't believe Lock or Teddy is the Broncos 2022 QB, but that's why you play the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I still firmly believe Lock is the starter, but the coaching staff is thinking (hoping?) that Teddy will be consistently above average to put more pressure on Lock to perform. I still believe we win 9, maybe 10 games barring significant injury, regardless of the QB, but won't be enough to make the playoffs or make noise in the playoffs, and we go guns blazing at Rodgers next offseason.

I don't believe Lock or Teddy is the Broncos 2022 QB, but that's why you play the game.

That's some galaxy brain idiocy if they know they are going to give the job to Lock and are taking reps from him when he clearly needs them. I don't think he's a sure thing to start -at all-

But apparently he had a very good practice yesterday so that is excellent news. If he can separate himself with these joint Minnesota practices that is the best possible scenario 

EDIT: the headline got me. i guess he had a great first half of the scrimmage and okay second half. FWIW here is the blurb from DNVR at the end of the article :

Scoreboard

After dropping five-straight practices to Teddy Bridgewater, Drew Lock stepped up and grabbed a much-needed win on Sunday.

In the first half of the scrimmage, it appeared Lock was ready to runaway with it. But the veteran signal caller finished strong to keep Sunday’s scrimmage from being a blowout.

Daily 10-point scale score: 6.5-3.5, Drew Lock

Collective 10-point scale score: 52.5-47.5, Teddy Bridgewater

Edited by champ11

By the sounds of it, we're having a rough go at it vs the Vikings today. The OLine and Qbs have been poor and doesn't seem like our run defense has been good either. If we cant out perform the Vikings I have a hard time seeing us above .500 this year which means we clean house for 2022. 

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

By the sounds of it, we're having a rough go at it vs the Vikings today. The OLine and Qbs have been poor and doesn't seem like our run defense has been good either. If we cant out perform the Vikings I have a hard time seeing us above .500 this year which means we clean house for 2022. 

Let's just start now...Surtain on the block right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Let's just start now...Surtain on the block right now. 

Trade our starting 22 on O and D  for Aaron Rodgers. Fill out the rest of the roster with cuts from other teams. Super Bowl here we come!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Theres a shocker. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Trade our starting 22 on O and D  for Aaron Rodgers. Fill out the rest of the roster with cuts from other teams. Super Bowl here we come!

I know this is tongue-in-cheek and you’re actually sick of the Rodgers conversation, but the roster would still be pretty stacked if they made that trade as the bulk of the package would consist of future picks, not current players. The ideal “have your cake and eat it too” scenario. 

And needless to say, they would have a significantly greater chance of winning a SB this year. They’d be right there with any team in the league. They have no chance of winning a SB this year with Bridgewater/Lock. They can be “frisky”, maybe sneak into the playoffs and go into the off-season still desperate at QB. The Rodgers move was a no-brainer if it was on the table and the Broncos will likely re-visit this next year. 

There’s still room to be excited about this season, but the context is not the same. That’s fine. We haven’t sniffed a winning season in 5 years. But it’s not a championship chase.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Whilst I think it's fair to have concerns when seeing a poor joint practice performance, it's a tad silly to start saying things like, "I have a hard time seeing us above .500 this year which means we clean house for 2022.", after one joint practice, wouldn't you say?

There's a whole many of things that go into these joint practices. Repetition, thus giving Defense the advantage in the passing game (easier to spot tendencies). Simplistic playcalling, etc. 

I hear your concerns re: QB, but as for the other things - let's give it some time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I know this is tongue-in-cheek and you’re actually sick of the Rodgers conversation, but the roster would still be pretty stacked if they made that trade as the bulk of the package would consist of future picks, not current players. The ideal “have your cake and eat it too” scenario. 

And needless to say, they would have a significantly greater chance of winning a SB this year. They’d be right there with any team in the league. They have no chance of winning a SB this year with Bridgewater/Lock. They can be “frisky”, maybe sneak into the playoffs and go into the off-season still desperate at QB. The Rodgers move was a no-brainer if it was on the table and the Broncos will likely re-visit this next year. 

There’s still room to be excited about this season, but the context is not the same. That’s fine. We haven’t sniffed a winning season in 5 years. But it’s not a championship chase.

I guess you don't remember the 2015 season when the defense carried the team towards a Super Bowl victory.  Could that happen again?  Why not? 

16 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

My god we haven't even played a PRESEASON game yet. Relax. It's a joint practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I guess you don't remember the 2015 season when the defense carried the team towards a Super Bowl victory.  Could that happen again?  Why not? 

Anything “could” happen but that team basically won every close game and almost all of them were decided by a defensive play late. The bad QB/elite defense champion is an anomaly itself, the way the 2015 team did it was an even bigger anomaly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Anything “could” happen but that team basically won every close game and almost all of them were decided by a defensive play late. The bad QB/elite defense champion is an anomaly itself, the way the 2015 team did it was an even bigger anomaly. 

the game has changed even more since then. on top of that being one of the best defenses of all time, it was also (whether random or not) one of the most clutch defenses of all time. i still can't believe that season happened man. just insane lol. special. 

• Like 2