Bills may consider a move to Austin TX

kingseanjohn

So what are the odds they actually move? Chargers and Raiders have done it in the recent past when they didn't get a new stadium. Rams moved recently as well.

Team owner Pegra Sports and Entertainment is demanding $ 1.5 billion to help renovate the new Bills stadium in Orchard Park and the Sabers Arena in downtown Buffalo. Preliminary negotiations have begun over the new stadium between Bills owners, the state and Erie County.

The Buffalo News article cited an anonymous source stating that the general public would bear 100% of the cost of the proposal. The new stadium will be built next to the team’s current stadium, Himark Stadium, at a cost of $ 1.1 billion, and hundreds of millions of dollars will be used to refurbish the Sabers home arena.

Source

Austin? Over San Antonio? 

I get the old thoughts on Buffalo heading across the board to Toronto, but this is out of left field. Texas would be a good landing spot and Austin would probably get the attention of a lot of people outside of Dallas and Houston areas (probably get a few folks IN Houston too, but I digress).

Hmm, I'd be interested to see how this plays out.

• Like 4

Preliminary talks have begun between the owners of the Buffalo Bills, the State of New York and Erie County as officials consider a pitch by the team to build a new NFL stadium.

In fact, it’s one of the largest asks for public money in pro sports stadium negotiations: Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the team’s owners, have pitched a $1.5 billion proposal for a new stadium in Orchard Park and to help cover some renovation costs to the Pegulas' NHL Sabres arena in downtown Buffalo.

The public would provide an unprecedented 100%, according to multiple sources who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the high sensitivity of the early stage of negotiations.

https://buffalonews.com/news/state-and-regional/buffalo-bills-want-a-new-stadium-and-for-taxpayers-to-foot-the-bill/article_dc794aea-f14a-11eb-a5ae-17fdaa70c27c.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

As someone else put it, the Pegulas only have to guts to do this now that the Bills are winning. Pretty despicable to foot Buffalo citizens with the 100% price tag of a new stadium. And I'm sure prices won't go up once the new stadium is made!!!

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 5

F*** any sports owner that asks taxpayers to fund anything they do.

There's no way they move to Austin for a variety of reasons.

St. Louis is a possibility. 

But also, if they move to another time zone, the NFL will probably need to move them to another division. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Starless said:

F*** any sports owner that asks taxpayers to fund anything they do.

There's no way they move to Austin for a variety of reasons.

St. Louis is a possibility. 

But also, if they move to another time zone, the NFL will probably need to move them to another division. 

I'm wondering if St. Louis even wants to F with the NFL after losing two teams. 

• Like 1

I can say with some assurance their will be fewer snow impaired games. 

I wonder where they would build the stadium. My guess would be in one of the 'burbs south of town, so that it was closer to San Antonio than Dallas. The kicker is that the team would be moving up in terms of media coverage. 

J

They can't relocate until July 31st, 2023 at the earliest.

Page 5 of their lease: Stadium Lease Expiration Date: July 31, 2023, or such earlier date provided for
in the 2013 Stadium Lease upon which the Stadium Lease Term shall expire.
Page 4 of their lease: (p) Non-Relocation Covenants: The collective covenants made by, and obligations
imposed on, the Bills pursuant to Sections 2, 3 and 4 of this Agreement.
(q) Non-Relocation Default: A breach by the Bills of any of the terms, covenants or
agreements of Sections 2, 3 and 4 of this Agreement.
(r) Non-Relocation Term: The term of this Agreement, beginning on July 31, 2013,
and ending on the Stadium Lease Expiration Date.

Page 6 and 7 of their lease:(b) Subject to the provisions of Section 2(b), during the Non-Relocation Term,
without the prior written consent of the County and the ECSC, which consent shall be within the sole and
absolute discretion of each of the County and the ECSC, the Bills shall not: (i) apply to the NFL for, or
otherwise seek, approval to allow the Team to play any Games during the Non-Relocation Term
anywhere other than the Stadium; (ii) relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team (or attempt to
relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team except as permitted by clause (iv) of this paragraph) to a
location other than the Stadium; (iii) sell, assign or otherwise transfer the Team to any Person who, to the
Bills’ knowledge, has an intention to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team during the Non-
Relocation Term to a location other than the Stadium; (iv) (A) entertain any offer or proposal to relocate
the Team to a location other than the Stadium, (B) solicit an offer or proposal from any Person to enter
into discussions regarding moving the Team to a location other than the Stadium, (C) enter into
negotiations or agreements with third parties concerning the relocation of the Team to a location other
than the Stadium, or (D) otherwise attempt to cause the playing of Games at a location other than the
Stadium except in the case of clause (A), (B), (C) and/or (D) above, (x) during the pendency of an
arbitration proceeding in which the Bills are seeking to terminate the Stadium Lease in accordance with
its terms or (y) to the extent that the relocation or other action described in such clause would first take
effect after the Non-Relocation Term; (v) (A) complete a transfer, assignment or surrender of the
Franchise that results in the Team playing any of its Games outside of the Stadium in violation of Section
2(a), or (B) complete a transfer, assignment or surrender of the Franchise that results in the Team not
playing any Games; or (vi) enter into any contract or agreement to sell, assign or otherwise transfer the
Team to any Person who, to the Bills’ knowledge, intends to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the
Team during the Non-Relocation Term to a location other than the Stadium.

http://www2.erie.gov/exec/sites/www2.erie.gov.exec/files/uploads/Buffalo Bills Non-Relocation Agreement.pdf

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Austin? Over San Antonio? 

I get the old thoughts on Buffalo heading across the board to Toronto, but this is out of left field. Texas would be a good landing spot and Austin would probably get the attention of a lot of people outside of Dallas and Houston areas (probably get a few folks IN Houston too, but I digress).

Hmm, I'd be interested to see how this plays out.

Isn't Austin blowing up rich people style? Housing market went nuts there a while back too

• Like 1