Peter King on QBs: Mahomes/Chiefs is the New Model

onejayhawk

Without comment at this point.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/08/fmia-nfl-training-camp-tour-patrick-mahomes-peter-king/

I always thought a seminal moment for Mahomes came late in 2018, when Reid fired ace running back Kareem Hunt for not being forthcoming with him on a domestic-abuse issue. The next day, Mahomes, younger than 50 of the 53 players on the roster, asked to speak to the team, and Reid said yes. His message was, essentially: We can be friends with Kareem forever, but we can’t let this wreck our season. The franchise knew it had something precocious and special in Mahomes, but that day sealed it. And the franchise has responded in kind.

I asked Veach about the problems other teams are having... “I guess to use Green Bay as an example—clearly I don’t know the ins and outs of the issues there,” Veach said. “But I find it hard to believe that what happened there could happen here.”

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Drafting a generational QB is the new model?

Well ****, what was the old model?

Drafting a primadonna.

Is the reason GB only has one SB in the last decade the guy under C? There are fans who will try to make that point. Peter King also trots out Carson Wentz and Deshawn Watson, while I will add Cam Newton and Jared Goff. 

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Drafting a primadonna.

Is the reason GB only has one SB in the last decade the guy under C? There are fans who will try to make that point. Peter King also trots out Carson Wentz and Deshawn Watson, while I will add Cam Newton and Jared Goff. 

You think teams specifically want their QB to be a primadonna?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The next day, Mahomes, younger than 50 of the 53 players on the roster, asked to speak to the team, and Reid said yes. His message was, essentially: We can be friends with Kareem forever, but we can’t let this wreck our season. The franchise knew it had something precocious and special in Mahomes, but that day sealed it.

This all sounds so lame..... Mahomes telling the team they can be forever friends with the guy who kicked a woman on tape, but they still need to win football games- is some grand defining moment? It's not even blurb worthy. 

GB comparisons aside, the Chiefs are experiencing sustained success because their phenom QB can consistently connect on passes to good weapons that flourish within a strong scheme under a talented HC. This potent combination and model isn't new and has been pursued for what, 30+ plus years now? There's no actual story or interest here. Which isn't a shock considering Peter King is involved. 

Edited by DreamKid

43 minutes ago, 43M said:

Peter King is such a blowhard.

Drafting a historically elite QB is somehow revolutionary to him.

Wow...how did no one else ever think of that?

No Way Disbelief GIF

I think you missed the part  about the starting QB speaking to his team and telling them not to quit on a season because they cut the starting RB. Legendary stuff.