49ers release QB Josh Rosen; signed with Falcons

biggie.

6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Surprised he even decided sign with the  Falcons given how he doesn’t care about football. 

Great for Josh Rosen to get another chance but to disregard his track record is well, just asking to repeat it.

Arizona Cardinals draft Josh Rosen 10th overall 2018, in 2019 the Cardinals draft Kyler Murray #1 overall to take his place and trade him away.

Miami Dolphins trade for Josh Rosen 2019, in 2020 the Dolphins draft Tua Tagovailoa #5 overall and cut Josh Rosen.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers sign Josh Rosen 2020 to the practice squad a few months after signing Tom Brady and possibly think of developing a future starter.

San Francisco 49ers sign Josh Rosen from the Buccaneers practice squad 2020 after QB injuries, 2021 they draft Trey Lance #3 overall and cut Rosen in 2021.

Atlanta Falcons sign Josh Rosen after there backup QB gets hurt 2021.....  

The Buccaneers have an aging QB who could retire in the next season or two.  Think about it, they had Josh Rosen just sitting there ready to be the guy and instead go with Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Griffin and draft Kyle Trask 2021 in the 2nd round.  In every situation the team has Josh Rosen in soon after draft his replacement in all four of those situations and would not be shocked if the Falcons draft a QB in the 2022 draft depending on how Matt Ryan looks.

It is not a good track record and each staff thinks they can get the most out of him yet all got the same results.  Great for Rosen to get another shot but that is a damning show of his football character and personality that FOUR separate organizations gave up on him and drafted his replacement very soon after they got him, like ridiculously soon after.  Does not say much for Josh Rosen but no keep on defending the man, maybe he will finally get it one of these times this now being his fifth in four years.  

• Like 1

Josh Rosen is a lottery pick type deal. 1 in a million chance he actually becomes something worth while. Solid chance to be a decent backup for a year. More than likely cut at final cut downs for someone else's backup QB cut. Guys who could be on the radar:

Davis Webb

Nathan Peterman

Kyle Allen

Nick Foles

Kurt Benkert

Falcons are more or less screwed either way at backup QB, no matter who takes the mantle if Ryan gets hurt.

34 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Josh Rosen is a lottery pick type deal. 1 in a million chance he actually becomes something worth while. Solid chance to be a decent backup for a year. More than likely cut at final cut downs for someone else's backup QB cut. Guys who could be on the radar:

Davis Webb

Nathan Peterman

Kyle Allen

Nick Foles

Kurt Benkert

Falcons are more or less screwed either way at backup QB, no matter who takes the mantle if Ryan gets hurt.

Jaguars have four QBs so one will be cut and most likely will be Jake Luton or CJ Beathard both better prospects than Rosen is right now arguably.  Also the Saints have four QBs and most likely Trevor Siemien will be cut and not Ian Book so Siemian is also arguably a better option.  And like you said Davis Webb is a good option and will most likely be cut.  Also maybe have Josh Dobbs or Haskins cut off the Steelers, most likely Dobbs is the one cut.    

But sure on paper Josh Rosen seems like the best guy but still that track record is absolutely awful, doubt you can find any QB in history with a track record so bad and who has been let go or traded so many times and has been with so many organizations in such a short time span.  

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jaguars have four QBs so one will be cut and most likely will be Jake Luton or CJ Beathard both better prospects than Rosen is right now arguably.  Also the Saints have four QBs and most likely Trevor Siemien will be cut and not Ian Book so Siemian is also arguably a better option.  And like you said Davis Webb is a good option and will most likely be cut.  Also maybe have Josh Dobbs or Haskins cut off the Steelers, most likely Dobbs is the one cut.    

But sure on paper Josh Rosen seems like the best guy but still that track record is absolutely awful, doubt you can find any QB in history with a track record so bad and who has been let go or traded so many times and has been with so many organizations in such a short time span.  

I think Rosen is the stopover until they bring in another guy after cuts, tbh. I don't think he's gonna be anything more than a backup at best here.

I always feel bad for him in a way. Arizona wasn't set up for him to succeed and pulled a 180° after year 1. No shot. 

Miami got him, but let's be real, it was almost a foregone conclusion they were drafting someone high. Even if he was given a proper shot, it was never going to be for Tua's job barring a catastrophe. Thus, he had to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick, which isn't exactly easy for many guys. Fitz is like bringing in Jeff Garcia. Unless you plan on starting him, don't do it. He'll show up the young guy in practice. 

Tampa got him. Given that both Gabbert and Griffin were vested in the system, I don't blame them for putting him on the practice squad. 

San Francisco plucked him because they desperately needed someone. It was late in the season and the injury bug was rampant so the offense wasn't good either way. Late addition to a bad (make shift) squad and a system he was ill-suited for. Then they took Lance. The best case scenario for him there was to battle for a.....3rd string spot? That's a no-win situation for the guy of he wants a real shot. If he wins, he's a 3rd stringer for the foreseeable future. If he loses out to someone better equipped for Shanahan's system, he couldn't even win a QB3 role. 

Now, I'm not going to say he's guaranteed to succeed, but has he ever actually been put in position to? Tampa, maybe, but active roster > practice squad any day, plus, I don't think he had the leverage to not go to SF. I think Atlanta's offense could actually suit him, and he has a bit in common with Ryan. If he's willing to learn and take notes, I could see him at least settling in as a solid backup to Ryan. Frankly, I don't think there were many options that would have been better for him right now. That said, it's almost definitely put up or shut up time for him.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I always feel bad for him in a way. Arizona wasn't set up for him to succeed and pulled a 180° after year 1. No shot. 

Miami got him, but let's be real, it was almost a foregone conclusion they were drafting someone high. Even if he was given a proper shot, it was never going to be for Tua's job barring a catastrophe. Thus, he had to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick, which isn't exactly easy for many guys. Fitz is like bringing in Jeff Garcia. Unless you plan on starting him, don't do it. He'll show up the young guy in practice. 

Tampa got him. Given that both Gabbert and Griffin were vested in the system, I don't blame them for putting him on the practice squad. 

San Francisco plucked him because they desperately needed someone. It was late in the season and the injury bug was rampant so the offense wasn't good either way. Late addition to a bad (make shift) squad and a system he was ill-suited for. Then they took Lance. The best case scenario for him there was to battle for a.....3rd string spot? That's a no-win situation for the guy of he wants a real shot. If he wins, he's a 3rd stringer for the foreseeable future. If he loses out to someone better equipped for Shanahan's system, he couldn't even win a QB3 role. 

Now, I'm not going to say he's guaranteed to succeed, but has he ever actually been put in position to? Tampa, maybe, but active roster > practice squad any day, plus, I don't think he had the leverage to not go to SF. I think Atlanta's offense could actually suit him, and he has a bit in common with Ryan. If he's willing to learn and take notes, I could see him at least settling in as a solid backup to Ryan. Frankly, I don't think there were many options that would have been better for him right now. That said, it's almost definitely put up or shut up time for him.

Jeff Garcia is a much better player than Fitz was though. He was a top 15 guy in the league. Ryan is a bottom tier starter 

if he played well in Miami they would’ve have drafted Tua 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It is hard to say not actually being in the buildings, but honestly Arizona knew who he was and decided to go in a different direction, Miami absolutely had a chance to get a look at him and they also decided to go in another direction.  If he would have impressed the people in charge at Miami they could have easily drafted Wills, Becton, Derrick Brown or Wirfs instead of Tua or simply trade the pick for more picks.  Then you have the Bucs who clearly want to develop a guy for when Tom leaves and they clearly were not impressed with him either and drafted Trask instead.  Then 49ers who without Jimmy G and were not able to sign either backup QB they already had the following year, were looking around see what Rosen looks like, and yeah got enough of a look to say forget him and go with Trey Lance who is wildly more talented in almost every single way.

Sure one could say the teams gave up on Rosen too fast but four different organizations and they all did not give him a chance?  Not sure a buy that, more like all of those organizations did not see enough from him in practice or in meetings to keep him around even at a crazy low price point so that shows he brought little to nothing to the organization in terms of leadership, work ethic, personality whatever for them to even want to keep him in the building.  

Will be interesting if he sticks on the Falcons, but the are poised to be the worst team in the NFL this year, so say they get the #1 or #2 pick, think they would not look at Howell or Rattler just because they have Rosen?  Especially if Ryan does not impress this year with less talent around him...  Could be the same situation all over again and if they still have Ryan to help mentor the young QB think they will keep Rosen around to steal reps from the guy they actually want to develop?  Nah.  But maybe Ryan gets hurt and Rosen is the savior of the team, but with that group around him doubt that occurs.  Fact is to play QB you have to be a leader and guys want to play with you and follow you and be inspired by you, not sure Rosen can do any of those things from what he has shown in the NFL and in college.  

Disregard my earlier post in this thread. I've received new evidence that at the time of my previous post wasn't yet disclosed. Therefore I would like to amend my position with regards to the subject of this thread, mister J. Rosen.

Based on trusted sources it would seem that subject has signed a contract to join my team. This single act will suffice to radically change my view with regards to the capabilities and career trajectory of said mister Rosen. Aforementioned signing shows that mister Rosen is in possession of a supremely competent decision making process. The fact that this hasn't translated too the field can only be attributed too the neglectful and incompetent way mister Rosen has been treated by his previous teams. Any negative remarks with regards to mister Rosen's capabilities and work acumen are therefore clearly slander and part of a negative media narrative designed to keep my team from signing him in an earlier stage.

Based on aforementioned facts and logic I can only deduct that Josh Rosen will be a supremely talented Quarterback for my team and will be the heir apparent to Matt Ryan.

• Like 2

Watching Rosen tonight against Cleveland, he at least looks to have a pulse.  Has made some very good throws despite some difficult arm angles and some odd footwork issues.  Still when things get hard though is when he has trouble, if the play breaks down and he gets pressure and is hit a lot clearly does alter his play.  His body language is not great and at times is flat out awful, and like said before he is simply not a great leader.  Very talented passer but there is more to playing QB than throwing a pretty pass every once in awhile.

Franks is the more mobile, athletic and competitive leader but Rosen is the more talented passer.  I am kind of surprised how well Rosen is doing under center but like the brought up in the broadcast Atlanta does a lot of the same things the 49ers do.  Lot of play action when really I would assume Rosen is best in the shot gun only.

He will get a shot and make the team in Atlanta because Franks is not much competition honestly at QB, but good for him.  Still he has some body language issues and personality issues he needs to work through still if he wants to actually make it ever in the NFL.  Good first showing for him though but not like he was going up against some big time players either.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...