49ers release QB Josh Rosen; signed with Falcons

biggie.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sure he maybe cared a bit but clearly was not all that driven because in his mind he did not need football so ultimately it ended up as football does not need him either.  Rosen before he was picked made that not going to be working at McDonald's comment, and yeah right that is not a deep underlying attitude he held and probably still holds.  Where other guys are fighting to keep this job Rosen is just like if it works out great if not I can do something else, thus he does not care all that much about being successful or is ignorant to his own behavior.  

It will be curious if yet another team gives him a chance or not.  Either way the last few stops he was just around the building trying to develop and did such a poor job at it and did not impress people so much they let him go when they had to pay him little to nothing.  Then you have guys like Matt Moore who stuck around a long time as a backup QB and is now a scout for the Miami Dolphins because certain coaches liked having him around and liked how he prepared and the work he did and thus give him a job as a scout.  Or Chad Henne who was drafted in 2008, has never done much of anything in the NFL but is still around as a backup because teams clearly like him in that role and like him in the building.  Says a lot when teams cut Rosen because obviously they did not like having him around and thought he did not bring anything good to the organization on three separate occasions.  

This makes no sense. If he didn’t care, or cared only a little bit, then don’t you think he could’ve called it a day once he got cut the first time? In his first year in Arizona he played behind a terrible line IIRC, he easily could’ve called it a day then and said “yeah I don’t need this”. 

Lol he’s a backup QB at this point, they get cut all the time. Back ups don’t get long term deals. How do you know teams wanted him to come back as a backup and he said “nah I wanna go elsewhere to where I can possibly play for a starting job?”. Has anybody even come out and had a bad word to say about him? Like one person? He didn’t make it in the NFL because he wasn’t good enough and didn’t make the successful transition like millions of other QBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

This makes no sense. If he didn’t care, or cared only a little bit, then don’t you think he could’ve called it a day once he got cut the first time? In his first year in Arizona he played behind a terrible line IIRC, he easily could’ve called it a day then and said “yeah I don’t need this”. 

Lol he’s a backup QB at this point, they get cut all the time. Back ups don’t get long term deals. How do you know teams wanted him to come back as a backup and he said “nah I wanna go elsewhere to where I can possibly play for a starting job?”. Has anybody even come out and had a bad word to say about him? Like one person? He didn’t make it in the NFL because he wasn’t good enough and didn’t make the successful transition like millions of other QBs.

You defended him back in that 2018 thread and you are doing the same now and you were wrong then and are now.  I say he did not care because he did not improve much despite given multiple chances and fact is I would not be shocked if the QB desperate world of the NFL another team gives him a chance.   He did not play or perform as if he feared losing his job or was wildly concerned about his career as a football player.  I saw that type of lackadaisical aloof leadership from him on UCLA and I believe I brought that up back then.

Sure a lot of QBs fail, but Rosen was the #1 QB coming out of high school and a top 10 NFL draft pick.  Not many teams if any draft a QB top 10 then the next season draft a QB #1 overall and trade that top 10 pick from the previous season to another team one year after being drafted.  Who else did that in NFL history?  I cannot recall anyone, and that had nothing to do with Josh Rosen as a person at all and was only about his play?  I doubt it.  

Sure you can say he did not make it because he was not good enough but that is over simplifying the matter a bit and disregarding many things that factored into it and most of which come from Josh Rosen and his personality/character/work habits/communication style etc.  

This is your defending him in 2018, you pick certain points you feel you can argue to defend your position that he is a good player.  Blame it on this, blame it on that but fact is the results of him as a player come down to himself ultimately.  Sure some of it comes down to his physical ability and other things come down to his character and overall persona as a individual player.  

@Da_Ducktator your issue with your evaluation is that one you could provide a number of instances to show Rosen doing very well post snap. So he’s at least inconsistent in that aspect, not incapable. He’s still a young player, he ain’t 7 year Vet in the league.

The first play is not a big deal at all. Coordinators run the same quite regularly, because it worked before. That’s the point. They go back to plays that worked previously expecting the same result. So that’s not even on Rosen. 

On another play you referenced it’s 2nd and 15 down 10. Maybe he was looking for the big play and also it’s not his fault the receiver gets tangled up thats why he wasn’t open. Fumbling is the biggest issue there. 

You point it as a trend in his game when it’s just an inconsistency in his game, which can be improved. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is so silly. Like ridiculously silly. And I don’t even know what that quote (whether that’s me or not) even is meant to show. 

Is it silly, yeah you are probably right on that one.  But fact is there is no other "Kip Smithers" around here and you posted multiple times in that older thread in defense of Josh Rosen and are defending him now, might want to get off of that bandwagon you seem to be on.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Not a huge shock but you know once a big name QB gets hurt he might still get a chance even though not sure he has done much to deserve said chance.  

On 8/17/2021 at 9:00 PM, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think he cares about football that much tbh. It just always seemed like it was a "well I'll try it out and if that doesn't work I'll move on to something better".

I had high hopes for Rosen but at this point, he's probably not going to get any more chances.

Im old enough to remember when people were saying the Browns should draft Darnold and Barkely instead of Baker and Ward.

Whoooof

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 3:48 PM, biggie. said:

He never had potential. Arrogant punk that doesn't really care about football.

Cardinals and Dolphins all looked like trash with him under center and instantly got better without him.

I always thought he sucked (even coming out of college) but he didn't seem that arrogant since he was in the NFL

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im old enough to remember when people were saying the Browns should draft Darnold and Barkely instead of Baker and Ward.

Whoooof

Darnold's career still has promise and arguably if put in the situation Baker has been put in, he might be just as good because Baker is surrounded by arguably the best OL in the NFL, and one of the best collections of TEs and RBs on any one roster in the NFL and not too bad of receivers either especially when OBJ is in the mix.  So my guess is if Darnold was drafted by the Browns he would have similar to equal success Baker has had, and Darnold most likely should do just fine on Carolina with more talent around him and support but mind you that OL is nothing great and arguably the Jets now have a better OL than the Panthers so might be same old but he has way more weapons and a better D.  

Jets are supporting Wilson though with that solid OL and solid young backs and improved receivers.  As for Barkley that kid is a obvious superstar, just had got hurt more than ideal but if he was on the field every year he could easily be the best back in the league.  

Either way Darnold always had a better head on his shoulders I feel than Josh Rosen did, was a more accomplished leader, better teammate, better persona and overall relatability.  Just is a different type of QB, sure has not succeeded in the NFL a great deal but is not a total waste out there sitting on the bench all the time either.   Will be interesting how he looks in Carolina and my guess is he does much better there.  

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Whoooof

Hey, get it right! It was Darnold and Bradley Chubb. Don't remember anyone clamoring for Barkley.

Anyway, add me to the list of people who were wrong about Rosen. Yeah, he was dealt a crappy hand, but I'm not sure he would've really thrived in any situation at this point.

4 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

Hey, get it right! It was Darnold and Bradley Chubb. Don't remember anyone clamoring for Barkley.

Anyway, add me to the list of people who were wrong about Rosen. Yeah, he was dealt a crappy hand, but I'm not sure he would've really thrived in any situation at this point.

Yeah..get the names right you a$$! 

On 8/18/2021 at 12:48 AM, biggie. said:

He never had potential. Arrogant punk that doesn't really care about football.

Cardinals and Dolphins all looked like trash with him under center and instantly got better without him.

yeah, he is garbage.