Bears LT Teven Jenkins will have back surgery

Blackstar12

4 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Jason Peters is old, but in his prime was in the discussion for best LT in the league. I know he is nowhere near that but Jenkins is a rookie starting at a new position.

I think the gap between the 2, at least for this season, isnt as big as we think.

Yeah the problem with this is... Peters has lost a lot more than a step or two. Guy was getting beat regularly last year, and that isn't even considering the fact that he hasn't been healthy in like 4 years.

Bears OL is about to get ugly.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:10 AM, Ty21 said:

The only way that isn’t a very bold statement is if you’re assuming Jenkins would’ve been absolutely terrible 

Haha....not terrible, but he would have been a rookie, changing positions, lingering back issues, and no training camp. I think Bears fans were optimistic but he wasnt going to have a great rookie year getting off to that start, lets just be honest.

I actually do think we will get him back this year, if he comes back against the Lions on Thanksgiving are the Cardinals the next week, he will still play 6 or 7 games, and will have recovered about 3 and a half months

On 8/18/2021 at 9:14 AM, .Buzz said:

Remember being super confused why he fell as far as he did. Becoming more and more obvious…

Sounds like they “hope” he can be back in November but with him being a rookie, not having practiced at all, and the severity of the surgery he’s probably done for the year. Pretty rough given their OL situation.

But I was told that cutting Charles Leno was a good move.  But enough gloating, it's always disappointing when a high draft pick gets injured and probably faces a missed year, but this needs to be a cautioning tale when dealing with college prospects and injuries.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But I was told that cutting Charles Leno was a good move.  But enough gloating, it's always disappointing when a high draft pick gets injured and probably faces a missed year, but this needs to be a cautioning tale when dealing with college prospects and injuries.

Makes that move even more puzzling. They knew about an injury/issue with a guy (who was a rookie to begin with) and still made the decision to let go of a competent veteran LT, especially given the fact they just drafted a young QB who you want to keep upright (especially given what we just saw with Burrow).

Screams incompetency to me.

20 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yeah the problem with this is... Peters has lost a lot more than a step or two. Guy was getting beat regularly last year, and that isn't even considering the fact that he hasn't been healthy in like 4 years.

Bears OL is about to get ugly.

Yeah, IIRC, it was Peters who Olivier Vernon abused for like three sacks last season. Peters should have retired a couple of years ago.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Makes that move even more puzzling. They knew about an injury/issue with a guy (who was a rookie to begin with) and still made the decision to let go of a competent veteran LT, especially given the fact they just drafted a young QB who you want to keep upright (especially given what we just saw with Burrow).

Screams incompetency to me.

I didn't really view Leno as anything more than a serviceable OT, but that was the same reason why I thought the move was questionable at best.  It's not like the Bears were flush with serviceable OL to begin with.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But I was told that cutting Charles Leno was a good move.

And you were told right.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I didn't really view Leno as anything more than a serviceable OT,

Which is exactly why they didn't keep him and looked for better options in the draft/FA. Keeping a mediocre tackle to protect your newly acquired QB is a good way to get him killed earlier in his career. See Burrow.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's not like the Bears were flush with serviceable OL to begin with

What the hell are you talking about? They just drafted a highly touted player to replace a mediocre tackle and he ended up getting injured. Let me guess....you and everyone else knew he was going to be injured.

But once again (as I've pointed out in the past) I don't expect anything else from you but uninformative trolling regarding anything related to any team in the NFC North expect for the Packers. Thanks for further proving my point btw lmao.

That said, your posts have met my expectations and I'll move on. I only wish we had the ability to block mods too.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

And you were told right.

The Bears being short on OL right now seems to suggest otherwise.

Which is exactly why they didn't keep him and looked for better options in the draft/FA. Keeping a mediocre tackle to protect your newly acquired QB is a good way to get him killed earlier in his career. See Burrow.

Better options?  They were going to suit up Teven Jenkins at LT and Germain Ifedi at RT after releasing Charles Leno.  Not really sure I'd argue that they improved their OL.  And even if everything turned out well, they could have used Ifedi potentially at OG.  Having depth on the OL isn't a bad thing.  Unnecessarily destroying that depth isn't a smart move.

What the hell are you talking about? They just drafted a highly touted player to replace a mediocre tackle and he ended up getting injured. Let me guess....you and everyone else knew he was going to be injured.

But once again (as I've pointed out in the past) I don't expect anything else from you but uninformative trolling regarding anything related to any team in the NFC North expect for the Packers. Thanks for further proving my point btw lmao.

That said, your posts have met my expectations and I'll move on. I only wish we had the ability to block mods too.

They signed a career bust to man the RT position, and handing over the LT position to a rookie.  Calling Charles Leno a mediocre OT is questionable at best.  Not saying it's the end all, be all to the discussion but Leno graded out better then Ifedi did according to PFF.  And no, I didn't know he'd get injured.  But as I mentioned in GFW's thread, I thought the Bears were better off rolling into the season with Leno/Jenkins at LT/RT and if Leno struggled and/or got injured, they could move Jenkins over to LT and have Ifedi play RT.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Bears being short on OL right now seems to suggest otherwise.

Ah yes, the good old, I knew his rookie replacement was going to get injured speil.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Germain Ifedi at RT after releasing Charles Leno

Ifedi is the RG. Wrong again.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And even if everything turned out well, they could have used Ifedi potentially at OG.

Read above.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They signed a career bust to man the RT position, and handing over the LT position to a rookie.

As stated above.....again...Wrong. But keep reaching and pretending to know about things you dont know.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not saying it's the end all, ....... according to PFF

Good. I'm glad we established this much.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, minutemancl said:

Justin Fields looks good, but that OL is not in good shape. It may be worth it to start Andy Dalton week 1 and for the first few games just so Fields doesn't come in and immediately start running for his life and getting sacks. That potentially ruins a QB's career.

David Carr agrees.