Joe Giradi will not return as manager of the Yankees

Scalamania

17 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I believe the Yankees had the top record in all of baseball under Girardi's reign. A little baffling to not bring him back. I wonder who they think would be an upgrade.

You have to imagine the Nationals go hard after Girardi right?

Why would Girardi want to go there?

It looks like I'm alone but I was never impressed with Girardi as a manager. Specifically is bullpen management. Besides all they need to do is keep his binder and they have him. Why spend millions for a binder? Everyone pointing out records should realize the effect of a manager is pretty small and needs a ridiculously long time and statistical analysis to realize. 

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

He went to the Marlins. Why wouldn't he go to Washington?  They are still built to win now.

Joe Girardi has a lot more leverage now than he did a dozen years ago.

The Nationals offer no job security to their managers, have Murphy and Harper set to hit FA in a year, and are known to underpay their managers perhaps worse than any other organization in baseball. The Phillies job is probably more attractive. 

3 minutes ago, NewAge said:

The Phillies job is probably more attractive. 

This one makes the most sense to me for him. Not sure on philosophical fit, but if they're on the same page, Girardi is a big enough name to hold rookies accountable and signal legitimacy in to FAs once they start winning a little bit.

Tbh to those saying girardi over achieved, no he didn’t.  He had nothing to do with Aaron Judge hitting 52 home runs or Luis Severino turning into an ace.  When a team under performs its run differential by 10 games and doesn’t show up for every other playoff game, there’s a coaching / preparation problem.  Not all joes fault but the change could be very good tbh.

Archived