Where does Saquon Barkley rank among busts?

biggie.

Saquon Barkley has more yards from scrimmage per game than Alvin Kamara, Jonathan Taylor, Nick Chubb, Josh Jacobs, Derrick Henry, Aaron Jones, Joe Mixon, and more

Only Zeke, CMC, and Dalvin Cook have more among players drafted in 2016 or later

I'd argue he HAS performed well enough to not be labeled "bust", considering the situation around him

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Not applying this to Saquon specifically (or whatever your intention was behind sharing the tweet), but often see this brought up in regards to running backs not getting any help from their offensive line.

Runners can easily be at fault for getting hit behind the LOS. Someone lacking the burst to get outside, being indecisive in which lane to take, or simply not seeing what’s in front of them.

EDIT: Want to clarify I know the Giants OL is bad and I’m definitely not falling Saquon anything near a bust at this point.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

Where does Saquon Barkley rank among busts?

Currently about 152,567th....give or take a few.

This forum never ceases to amaze me. He's only 24 years old and only 2 games into his 4th year and you're already calling him a bust?! My god....I understand a RB's shelf life is relatively short but damn.

This is further proof of just how fickle some fans are. I guarantee this thread wouldn't even exist right now if the game wasn't on prime time and/or he had 100 yards last game. But because he didn't (while playing injured) now all of sudden he's a "bust".

Threads like these are all about timing and I swear some of you take the meaning of "what have you done for me lately" to a whole new level of "what have you done for me yesterday" and this a perfect example.

• Like 2

Barry Sanders had a 13 carry -1 yard playoff game.

He played almost his entire career behind above average to very good O-lines in Detroit.

• Lomas Brown made 7 pro bowls. SEVEN! and one first team all pro
  • Kevin Glover made 3
  • Jeff Hartings later made 2 pro bowls and a first team all pro in Pittsburgh.

The 1991 Lions crushed the Cowboys in the playoffs and were up 31-6 with Barry at 22 yards rushing (he had a late 47 yard victory cigar TD to make it 38-6)

He'd get his butt handed to him behind this Giants O-line.

Pretending Barry Sanders was even better than he actually was and that he did it all by himself is a strange hobby for strange people.

Not having a great QB is not the same as having a horrific O-line.

Saquon had 1441 total yards in 13 games with 8 TDs in year 2.

Maybe people need to understand the term draft bust. It means the pick had almost no value, not that it was chosen 20 or 40 picks too soon.

• Hint: Mike Mamula was not a draft bust even if you did not think he was good enough. (31 1/2 sacks in 5 seasons)
  • Hint: Vernon Gholston was a draft bust (no sacks)

Daniel Jones is not even a draft bust. He was taken 20-30 picks too soon, and Gettleman should be fired for it, but he's shown enough ability that he's not a draft bust.

Blake Bortles was not a draft bust.

Mitch Trubisky was not a draft bust (even though he was clearly not on the level with Mahomes or Watson)

Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Josh Rosen, and JaMarcus Russell were draft busts.

It was stupid for the Giants to draft Saquon when they did (should have traded down and hoarded much needed picks)

Saquon is a good player and in no way even remotely anything like a draft bust.

Edited by SkippyX

On 9/17/2021 at 10:36 PM, Danger said:

I was doing a running.  "Zeke sucks because he can't carry 4 Bucs for 10 yards" bit during the opening game.

Same was true for Saquon. He was something like 6 touches for 70 yards when he was not being blown up by his own offensive line.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:43 AM, SkippyX said:

Barry Sanders had a 13 carry -1 yard playoff game.

He played almost his entire career behind above average to very good O-lines in Detroit.

• Lomas Brown made 7 pro bowls. SEVEN! and one first team all pro
  • Kevin Glover made 3
  • Jeff Hartings later made 2 pro bowls and a first team all pro in Pittsburgh.

The Lions had the worst rushing offense in the entire league the year before drafting Barry; 27th in total rushing yards, 28th in TDs and 28th in YPC.  That team had Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover starting on the OL.  

Those numbers jumped to 8th, 1st and 1st the following year.

During the Barry years, there were a series of coaching hires and unfortunate accidents(Andolsek, Utley) that stopped the OL from becoming above average to very good.