EDGE rushers

lark25

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Doesn't matter what thresholds you use. You're going to draft busts. I'd rather not let arbitrary thresholds prevent me from drafting gifted players.

Karlaftis isn’t as powerful as he is being made out to be looks disinterested against the run. He’s not as good as Jermaine.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Karlaftis isn’t as powerful as he is being made out to be looks disinterested against the run. He’s not as good as Jermaine.

Karlaftis is exactly as powerful as he's made out to be. And he does not look remotely disinterested against the run. He can improve as a run defender. Those improvements will come as he better understands blocking schemes and is able to find the ball quicker. But he's not remotely a lazy run defender. If anything, teams were able to exploit his aggressiveness at times. 

Johnson is a better run defender at this stage. Karlaftis is a better pass rusher. But Karlaftis is a lot younger and is newer to the game. I'm taking him if forced to make the choice. I think he has a higher ceiling.

58 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

He’s also not very quick on film. When I was watching his tape, the number of times guys got past him just running outside of him on the edge, and he couldn’t get there in time was concerning.

I have him down in like Edge 6 or 7 territory myself. He’s good, just not great imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

He’s also not very quick on film. When I was watching his tape, the number of times guys got past him just running outside of him on the edge, and he couldn’t get there in time was concerning.

I have him down in like Edge 6 or 7 territory myself. He’s good, just not great imo.

His lateral agility isn't great, but part of it is that he still needs a lot of mental growth as a run stopper. It's the inexperience that causes him to be a step slow understanding where the play is going and where the ball is. Regardless, watch the Iowa game and then tell me he's the sixth or seventh best EDGE in this class. There aren't many games quite like that one where the player's dominance and the stat sheet are so far apart.

41 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Cameron Thomas vs Boye Mafe vs Arnold Ebiketie vs David Ojabo vs George Karlaftis

If all these guys are available late first and you need a starting EDGE who do you take?

Karlaftis Mafe Ebiketie Thomas Ojabo in order.

Ojabo would have 2nd before his injury.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Cameron Thomas vs Boye Mafe vs Arnold Ebiketie vs David Ojabo vs George Karlaftis

If all these guys are available late first and you need a starting EDGE who do you take?

Ebokeite, Karloftis, Mafe, Ojabo here.  Haven't watched film on Thomas.

54 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

His lateral agility isn't great, but part of it is that he still needs a lot of mental growth as a run stopper. It's the inexperience that causes him to be a step slow understanding where the play is going and where the ball is. Regardless, watch the Iowa game and then tell me he's the sixth or seventh best EDGE in this class. There aren't many games quite like that one where the player's dominance and the stat sheet are so far apart.

Meh, I watched what I'm gonna watch on him.  I always make sure to watch at least one full game from any prospect I possibly can, but that's all I really have time for.

Maybe he's better than I give him credit for, but I've been wrong before.  I'll be wrong again.  I still have to watch tape on all these dang safeties.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'm sorry, my gut tells me he is a one trick pony that will get exposed at the next level 

51 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm sorry, my gut tells me he is a one trick pony that will get exposed at the next level 

Power, heavy hands, outstanding get-off, and a varied pass rush approach with an impressive set of moves for such a young player. He's definitely not a one-trick pony.

March 29th in a big day, Purdue's pro day and I want to see Karlaftis run a 40.  

George Karlaftis

6-4 266
21 reps at 225
38" vertical
121 Broad jump
4.36 short shuttle
NA 40 yard dash

Boye Mafe

6-4 257
21 reps at 225
41.5" vertical
125 Broad jump
4.20 short shuttle
4.53 40 yard dash

Mafe is just as strong, has a better vertical, better broad jump and better short shuttle and my guess is a much better 40 time.  Also was a better player this past year that got more pressure on the QB and sacks, also had a great Senior bowl against top competition.  

I still question his ability in a 3/4 when he is more a 4/3 DE where Mafe could do both I feel especially as a 3/4 OLB because of his ability to bend the corner.  George I thought disappointed this past year and did not live up to his ability and seemed a little different off that injury, and Travon Walker/Jermaine Johnson jumped him as prospect and so did Boye arguably especially after his workouts and his Senior bowl week play.

On paper though Mafe is the better athlete and you can see it in the games as well.  That 40 for Karlaftis though, that will be interesting but that is assuming he even runs it.  

12 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Ebiketie, Karlaftis, Mafe, Thomas, Ojabo. In that order.

Ebiketie is scary. Possibly my second favorite edge after Jermaine Johnson. Karlaftis and Mafe are solid but not spectacular in my eyes. Thomas played for SDSU; I like him but there's no telling how he handles the huge jump in competition. Ojabo is hurt.