Week 2: Bears vs Bengals

soulman

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We have also had mostly dollar store talent on offense, which Nagy can't avoid some blame for, but we have always struggled to execute on an individual level.

We need to find some elite players on offense. We have none. The elite players on our team are all on defense. 

We need an offensive Roquan or Hicks, that isn't the QB.

I'd argue Monty is knocking on, if not already part of that conversation.... and that's coming from someone who wasn't even a huge fan of the draft pick coming out.

I would be curious to see him getting more usage like Forte did under Trestman even, getting more screens/short passes where he can then make a guy miss and actually bring some YAC.

Robinson and Mooney are the only two other players even remotely in the conversation... and yeah neither are "there"..... Robinson has impressive production with bottom tier QBs, but he's become maddeningly inconsistent on the big plays. Mooney has potential yet, but he needs to take those next steps. I does feel like he's getting more volume this season, so far at least..... but we haven't aren't yet seeing Nagy utilize our WR room's speed just yet.... maybe this coming week with a Fields-centric gameplan.

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We have also had mostly dollar store talent on offense, which Nagy can't avoid some blame for, but we have always struggled to execute on an individual level.

We need to find some elite players on offense. We have none. The elite players on our team are all on defense. 

We need an offensive Roquan or Hicks, that isn't the QB.

A great QB can raise all boats though.   Everyone else looks better than they are.  

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'd argue Monty is knocking on, if not already part of that conversation.... and that's coming from someone who wasn't even a huge fan of the draft pick coming out.

I would be curious to see him getting more usage like Forte did under Trestman even, getting more screens/short passes where he can then make a guy miss and actually bring some YAC.

Robinson and Mooney are the only two other players even remotely in the conversation... and yeah neither are "there"..... Robinson has impressive production with bottom tier QBs, but he's become maddeningly inconsistent on the big plays. Mooney has potential yet, but he needs to take those next steps. I does feel like he's getting more volume this season, so far at least..... but we haven't aren't yet seeing Nagy utilize our WR room's speed just yet.... maybe this coming week with a Fields-centric gameplan.

Monty is the only one who is close to that level. He is consistently good.

As much flack as I gave Castillo last year for the Charmin Squad being terrible, they have completely flipped the script. I think we are a seriously under-talented group overall (a healthy Jenkins and Borom would help) but they have the best fight I've seen since Long, Mills and Slauson caused the overhaul to the OL. Peters has been way better than I expected too. Ifedi has been better than anticipated. If we can maintain this level of play I'd have nothing but praise for Castillo.

I'm still not sold that Daniels is worth extending and Muphister is back up quality ATM, but they as a whole are fighting harder than I've seen in years. Heart is key in a good OL and this is exactly the kind of attitude I want Jenkins and Borom to be a part of.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

As much flack as I gave Castillo last year for the Charmin Squad being terrible, they have completely flipped the script. I think we are a seriously under-talented group overall (a healthy Jenkins and Borom would help) but they have the best fight I've seen since Long, Mills and Slauson caused the overhaul to the OL. Peters has been way better than I expected too. Ifedi has been better than anticipated. If we can maintain this level of play I'd have nothing but praise for Castillo.

I'm still not sold that Daniels is worth extending and Muphister is back up quality ATM, but they as a whole are fighting harder than I've seen in years. Heart is key in a good OL and this is exactly the kind of attitude I want Jenkins and Borom to be a part of.

I don't understand where the Castillo hate even comes from. He's been outstanding. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't understand where the Castillo hate even comes from. He's been outstanding. 

Last year they were bad and soft. 

Statistically they were 25th in adjusted line yards and success rate on 3rd or 4th and 2 or less. With Monty being the fighter he is that last one is embarrassing.  They were around the middle in adjusted sack rate, which is pretty decent considering we had mediocre OTs, Whitehair playing poorly at C, Daniels out, and then a rookie no name coming in and playing decent at C later.

Again though, no one is taking Leno and getting him to be a physical presence, and Massie was more of a guy that got in your way than anything so thats 2/5 of your OL. What he's done with the returning and new guys has been great. Hopefully Whitehair and Daniels show they're key cogs this year, but I'm still skeptical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Agreed. 

With the way that Ifedi is playing I wondering if they keep him, re-sign Daniels, add a C let Robinson walk, as I think he is going to anyway, and then use the draft to build the WR core.

I think it’s too early to say what we need to do with the WR core. Presumably we’re gonna have 15 games to see how they play with Fields. That’s a TON of reps to see who meshes best, who looks expendable, etc.

As for CB, at what point does Thomas Graham get called up from the PS and get a look at NB? Can he possibly be worse?? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Last year they were bad and soft. 

That's...just such a ridiculous exaggeration--and I mean ridiculous in the sense of REALLY ignoring how things transpired throughout the course of the season...so, I don't even know how to properly respond to that post. 

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it’s too early to say what we need to do with the WR core. Presumably we’re gonna have 15 games to see how they play with Fields. That’s a TON of reps to see who meshes best, who looks expendable, etc.

As for CB, at what point does Thomas Graham get called up from the PS and get a look at NB? Can he possibly be worse?? 

I would 100% give Graham a chance.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The first part I'll take issue with.  We do have some talented offensive skill players.  For many years we did have "dollar store talent" at WR but that's no longer the case.

The second part I'll agree with.  Execution remains a problem so how do you divide that up between the player, his positions coach, and the scheme itself?

We've been through quite a few players since Nagy arrived.  We've pretty much turned over the major offensive assistant and OC position as well.  So what's left?

Edited by soulman

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's...just such a ridiculous exaggeration--and I mean ridiculous in the sense of REALLY ignoring how things transpired throughout the course of the season...so, I don't even know how to properly respond to that post. 

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. 

Its really not, but we can definitely agree to disagree.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Sure, we have never had one of those either.

A good QB does not make Jimmy Graham block a CB for a walk in TD. That is an individual talent issue.

True.  But there is a domino effect that holds everyone more accountable effort wise that occurs when a franchise QB is in place.  

When you come back to huddle or sideline and a star QB says what was with that block? Especially when you are contending.  It means something.   

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

True.  But there is a domino effect that holds everyone more accountable effort wise that occurs when a franchise QB is in place.  

When you come back to huddle or sideline and a star QB says what was with that block? Especially when you are contending.  It means something.   

A lot of times you don’t even have to say that.  You say something selfless like my bad.  I’ll get in next time.   The guy knows he f’d up and it was his fault.   He will give everything the next play to make that block.