Week 2: Bears vs Bengals

soulman

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Seriously the three best corners from camp appeared to be johnson, Vildor and Burns.  Burns can’t play slot so answer would seem to be to move Vildor to slot.  Get your three best on field.

Not in practice so I don’t really know, but from preseason that seems to be case.

Not sure why they didn’t at least try it.

Yeah, I agree with you.  Although Vildor looked better today we still have a whole at Slot CB he could fill.  Still believe Pace should not have released Trufant.  Then Burns and Trufant could have gone head to head at LCB with Vildor and Shelley vying for the Slot.

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

Post game thoughts:

-OL had reality come back and smack them upside the head today. At least 2 play/drive destroying blown assignments on the interior.

Good write up.  

I will have to rewatch, but bigger problem on a live broadcast look seems to be Daniels and Mustipher get over powered too much.

-Montgomery had better get another contract with this team. I wasn't a huge fan of his coming out, because I wanted a more dynamic/explosive back, but the kid has more fight in him than just about anyone else on this team and it shows repeatedly. He's noticeably improved himself between seasons, and is quite often making positive yardage off of busted blocking in front of him. He's more than earned however large of a role in this offense as he can handle, Matt Forte style.

He is a good football player.  Football reality is that Oline is more important than RB though.  You have to put resources there.  

-Regarding Fields/Dalton...... I'll say this, Dalton flat out outplayed Fields today, and I won't actually be upset if Dalton is the guy again next week...... THAT BEING SAID, Dalton appears to have some kind of knee/ligament sprain at the very least (he had instability the series he went back in after hurting it and getting it looked at on the sideline, and Nagy said it was getting more inflamed on the sideline as the game went on, even without him being on it, so I'd be skeptical as hell Dalton is even active next week, unless they really just hate Nick Foles). Dalton's knee looking shaky reminded me of when RG3 went into that game that basically ended his career, while already injured, and made it so much worse.

Regarding Fields specifically, I'll be honest, even for a rookie, he looked much more raw than expected. Depending on his legs more than I'd like to see and had a number of plays where it was obvious he's had no work with the 1s (stupid on Nagy's part)....Now, to his credit, the line wasn't doing him many favors, Jimmy Graham robbed him of one TD, Robinson of another, and his two best passes of the day where both dropped by our #1 and #2 WRs....... If all of those plays go well, the national media are losing their minds about how great/generational of a talent he is.

With Dalton being somewhat of a questionmark for next week, I'm going to say go ahead and give the reigns to Fields for Cleveland. Let him get all the reps with the 1s, and if he can look good against what will honestly be a very tough team to beat in Cleveland after actually getting to work with the starters, then he can keep the job going forward..... If he still looks like he did today, then I'll honestly go back to Dalton until the season is out of reach

Forget Dalton.  Most all rookies are raw.  Look around.  Nagy kept him more raw by bringing in Dalton and giving him all practice time.  It should be all about Fields all the time.  People say NFL players get better by watching because of correlation.  You would never want that for yourself or your kid in a football setting.  Let my kid watch said no one ever.  You want quality practice reps and game time. They bring in veteran because they fear losing with raw players.  

-Allen Robinson got that early TD today, but then came right back and dropped what would have been more or less a game ending TD...... It's a contract year buddy,and like last year, I couldn't justify paying you right now leaving end zone plays as drops (which regardless of what PFF says, he had TWO of last season). You want to be paid like a #1, start playing like one.

ARob is taking a beating last night and today. I thought he played with a lot of effort. The first down run on sideline was big.  He just didn’t make the big play.

-Mooney was our best WR today overall, but I'm not seeing "the next step" from him yet. If anything I watched him miss a block that blew a play up early, and appear to half effort a kick return (which he shouldn't be on anyhow).

-The rest of the WR/TE/RB where largely invisible. Damien Williams is quickly going from the player I was most excited about on offense to the player I'm least excited about because it means our best offensive player isn't playing.

-What in the hell are we paying Jimmy Graham for right now?? He blew a block that would have sprung Fields for a TD, he's not really being used in the passing game, and for all his "mentorship" of Kmet, the kid also doesn't appear to have taken any "next steps" forward.

agreed

-Jaylon Johnson is a #1 CB now. I wasn't sure before this game, but he was playing as good or even better than Fuller was before we let Fuller go during today's game.

-Vildor looks to be taking steps as well... I'm not yet ready to say he's a for sure solid #2 CB but he's stacked 2 games now where he's held his own. I am kind of starting to see why the Bears went this route with JJ/KV and let KF go.

-Nickel.... I don't care if it's Shelley or Christian. They're both downright awful and everyone knows it. 2 weeks in a row opposing offenses have basically looked for our Nickel Corner, and that's been their read/offense

agreed

-Hicks....I'm so hesitant to want to pay money to a player that is going to inevitably get crushed by father time.... but Hicks is an animal and I'm not sure anyone else on the entire defense plays with as much fight as he does.

-Hicks/Quinn..... both finally showed up today. Still not quite the statlines I want to see out of either given their paychecks....BUT:

-Overall passrush: Was absolutely dominant today. Burrow looked like one of the actors in Band of Brothers during the Bastogne episode, hiding in the foxhole while being artillery bombarded, and it caused a hat trick of consecutive INTs. I'll give credit to Burrow here as well for coming back from  INT/INT/INT to hit TD/TD.... It's hard to recover after being rattled hard and snowballing mistakes.

-Roquan made his INT look so easy and effortless, it kind of reminded me of Urlacher for a second.

-Ejax and Gipson splashed a bit for the good, but are still splashing for the awful too..... Very concerning, when you also remember that our Nickel is less useful than a bag of meat, half of paul giammatti, two crows, and/or a sentient pile of crap and they're the ones who have to cover his failures.

Agreed

In interest of full disclosure: my ******* recast didn't record the game, and we were on the road, and then my neighbors ******* hulu thing didn't record HIS game so I couldn't even invite myself over to watch it, so had to make do with highlights and the youtube thing that showed every Fields play.  But if you were to draw up a realistic play by play of how Fields first game wouldn't it look a lot like that?

Thought he had some great throws, some timely runs, but also absolutely did the things that were knocks on him in draft.  On that early play where he took off, he was locked on the left side and had 2 guys open for more of a gain without the risk of running.  The WRs had some drops for sure, but if we're being honest his game was uneven. Definitely saw some smart plays, bad plays and big plays. For whatever reason he's a lot better at the deep ball than the short stuff. Funny enough my favorite detail was after one of his scrambles, he shook his finger at a DB as he was getting up off the turf, then REAL quick shook his finger at the end zone, giving the ref some plausible deniability about not calling tauntaun.

Goofy game, lotta fun by the looks of it, hope Fields looks better with a little prep next week!  Would not be shocked if Nagy makes Dalton the starter out of some misplaced commitment to being disciplined about this year. I ******* hate that sitting Mahomes for a year is what he seems to be taking away from being part of Mahomes development.  You can say "yeah but then he won a superbowl after sitting for a year!" but how do we know they don't win in 2017 and 2018 if he starts?  Right now the plan for Fields development looks a lot more like Trubisky in 17 than Mahomes in 17.

Also thank you to whatever chuckle**** decided to cosplay as my wife for fantasy football this week.  Kinda ruined a clandestine sneak peek at my phone this weekend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That was 4-5 plays away from being a 20 point blow out.

That is why the limited reps Fields got with the ones was always pretty dumb.

I was actually encouraged by the offense, in a less than productive day.

Geez Windy.  Now you sound like a Nagy presser where it's typically woulda shoulda coulda.

I agree with you that had they given Fields more prep time with the starters in camp and practice now he would probably have looked better but still......13 phuc'n points again on offense??

I didn’t have the luxury of watching the game but it doesn’t look like I missed much. Quarterback play out of both our qbs was lackluster. Fields played like a rookie and I didn’t see enough of Dalton to judge but he did throw a couple balls with impressive zip on it. Roquan balled out, still super happy w him. Quinn actually got a sack for once, as did Mack. Nagy doesnt have the luxury of blowing this team up and selling some pieces while their value is the highest they’ll ever be again, but Mack, Hicks, Danny, and EJax should all be traded IMO so they don’t all die on a lackluster roster. Montgomery plays with so much heart. I’ve been Allen Robinsons #1 fan for a while now but I’d be okay with him getting traded or walking because we aren’t going to be able to do anything w him while he’s in his prime. 

all in all, good fluke win against a mediocre team. I don’t expect the same luck against Cleveland. 

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Yeah, I agree with you.  Although Vildor looked better today we still have a whole at Slot CB he could fill.  Still believe Pace should not have released Trufant.  Then Burns and Trufant could have gone head to head at LCB with Vildor and Shelley vying for the Slot.

I keep reminding myself that this experience with Vildor outside can only help him next season...when he is the starting slot corner...I don't feel he can play outside long term but snaps are never a bad thing for a young defensive back...

This season nickel is a huge concern and I don't see who can fill it...would have no issue with us just working some guys on the street out because it can't get much worse than it has been.

• Like 1