Week 2: Bears vs Bengals

soulman

In fairness Kmet missed his block too.  We were two for two.  

I can't tell you how many times I have rewatched a play in Nagy era where I am looking at a big play, but for a missed TE block on the edge.  A game changing play.  

It drives me insane.  It is like he cares nothing for execution.  He is just happy he had play drawn up really good and it should have worked.

Execution is everything.   

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I can't tell you how many times I have rewatched a play in Nagy era where I am looking at a big play, but for a missed TE block on the edge.  A game changing play.  

It drives me insane.  It is like he cares nothing for execution.  He is just happy he had play drawn up really good and it should have worked.

Execution is everything.   

The problem I have had with TE in the Nagy era is more to do with the fact we drafted one in the 2nd round...pay a vet big money...sign another really experienced vet in FA and have the best preseason player of this year at the spot...and we barely throw the ball their way 🙄

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The problem I have had with TE in the Nagy era is more to do with the fact we drafted one in the 2nd round...pay a vet big money...sign another really experienced vet in FA and have the best preseason player of this year at the spot...and we barely throw the ball their way 🙄

Successful execution of a play is more than route running, the throw and the catch.

Not sure Nagy gets that.  Details matter.

When I watch him run practice and they just run plays one after another during team period.  They are all f'd up and it is just one after another.  Next play, next play.  That is not good coaching to me.   That is wishing something good will happen and it never does unless you have overwhelming talent.   

Who blocked who?  How would you do it against this look and that look?  What were the angles you took?  What was hand placement?   What leverage did you have?   Did you dip and roll your hips?  What were your feet doing?  

He is always looking for whys.   I'll tell you what, successful plays don't just happen.   Details matter.  

If you wait until film the muscle memory isn't there.   Correct it fast and in real time and move on.  Reinforce it in film.   

That is why you have lots of coaches.   Let them all do their thing real fast between each play.   It takes like 30 seconds. In my mind it should look like a Nascar pit change crew as position coaches descend and give corrections and quickly retreat for next rep.

They all just watch and say nothing and still 30 seconds goes by anyway before next play is called.  We will get to it in film.  

That is lame.  Use every minute of grass time and film.  

• Like 3

So Dalton apparently has a "bone bruise".... which... raises way more questions than answers....

How does he get a bone bruise in his knee on a non contact play, unless his knee is already in very bad shape and he's getting bone on bone contact via little to no cartilage remaining?

Why was he showing what looked like knee weakness /instability from a bone bruise?

Regardless, the recovery time I'm told is closer to 3-4 weeks... so it should be the Fields show for the forseeable future.

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Nagy doesnt have the luxury of blowing this team up and selling some pieces while their value is the highest they’ll ever be again, but Mack, Hicks, Danny, and EJax should all be traded IMO so they don’t all die on a lackluster roster.

You won't get much for Hick or Trevathan if anything.  Whose gonna give up picks and take on their contracts?  Hicks maybe but only if it's playoff contender and he's a key to winning big.

The Bears gave Rosenhaus permission to shop him last spring before Fuller was released and they came up dry.  DT is hurt again and has been so much his career he was a liability even when Pace extended him.

Mack and EJax are the only ones worth much and again whose gonna take on their contracts?

This year and next many teams won't have a ton of extra cap space and both have already had their deals restructured creating even more dead cap.  We're gonna have to get our money's worth from them here.

10 minutes ago, Epyon said:

So Dalton apparently has a "bone bruise".... which... raises way more questions than answers....

How does he get a bone bruise in his knee on a non contact play, unless his knee is already in very bad shape and he's getting bone on bone contact via little to no cartilage remaining?

Why was he showing what looked like knee weakness /instability from a bone bruise?

Regardless, the recovery time I'm told is closer to 3-4 weeks... so it should be the Fields show for the forseeable future.

My thoughts exactly when I heard this.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

it's not a bruise from getting hit by someone else, but a bruise from two of his own bones banging against each other. it's likely that his tibia and fibula banged against each other, causing the bone bruise. that's also why they are doing so many tests on the knee, because the ligaments actually held together, but moved enough for the bruise to occur - need to make sure nothing tore

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

It's not uncommon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Execution is everything.   

I'm at the point of wanting Bars to become our version of Patrick Ricard (though I still prefer to adapt a DT or DE we dont have the offseason for them to learn the plays, technique, etc. Kmet is a mediocre to average blocker though his effort is definitely there. His blocking is one reason I wasn't too high on him predraft. 

Graham has nothing to offer outside the 10 and even then he's totally one dimensional. Kmet is a better mismatch out wide at this point so let Bars do the grunt work and let Kmet either run routes or have a size advantage when blocking S and CBs in the slot or at the X.  

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Keeping Graham is a roster decision Pace should get a swift boot in the *** over.

Someone here is like 6'7" IIRC so I assume they've got my 14s beat. They get the first kick. 

2 hours ago, soulman said:

You won't get much for Hick or Trevathan if anything.  Whose gonna give up picks and take on their contracts?  Hicks maybe but only if it's playoff contender and he's a key to winning big.

The Bears gave Rosenhaus permission to shop him last spring before Fuller was released and they came up dry.  DT is hurt again and has been so much his career he was a liability even when Pace extended him.

Trevathan couldn't be traded for a future 7th unless we paid his contract for his new team. Hicks I could see a 4th or later but hes older and a FA next year, potentially a decent price to retain too so that dropped his value. 

• Like 1

I went back and watched the game focusing on the line play and one player who really stood out to me for all the wrong reasons was Sam Mustipher...dude tries hard but against those big talented interior linemen on the Bengals he was consistently pushed around...no doubt IMO we need a new centre in the offseaaon with Mustipher being a good backup at the centre spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Not only that but when Nagy was asked if Dalton would be the starter if healthy he talked about not getting into scheme. Then shortly later a PR person came out and said Dalton is the starter if healthy. You can't make up the blunder after blunder during every interview with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I went back and watched the game focusing on the line play and one player who really stood out to me for all the wrong reasons was Sam Mustipher...dude tries hard but against those big talented interior linemen on the Bengals he was consistently pushed around...no doubt IMO we need a new centre in the offseaaon with Mustipher being a good backup at the centre spot.

While we don't have a first rounder next year, at the very least Center and Nickel Corner are two positions where you can often find the premiere talent for the position still on the board in the 2nd.... provided pace doesn't decide to make another hole somewhere else.

Sports Mockery did a thing a while back about Bears scouts being at the ND-Florida State game..... going out their way to mention the ND center Jarrett Patterson as a guy they might be interested in.

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

The tibia and femur crunch into each other, which is why it is often first diagnosed as a knee ligament.

The hamstring is suppose to keep that from happening by keeping the femur at the top of the knee joint. 

A wrong step when the hamstring isn’t engaged can cause the bones to crunch down on to each other.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

While we don't have a first rounder next year, at the very least Center and Nickel Corner are two positions where you can often find the premiere talent for the position still on the board in the 2nd.... provided pace doesn't decide to make another hole somewhere else.

Sports Mockery did a thing a while back about Bears scouts being at the ND-Florida State game..... going out their way to mention the ND center Jarrett Patterson as a guy they might be interested in.

We also have to rebuild the entire WR core.