Week 3 GDT: Raiders (2-0) vs. Dolphins (1-1) - Dolphin sashimi is on the menu

RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Raaaaaaaaaaaaaidddddduhhhhhsssss
    • The stinky water creatures
    • I just hope everyone enjoys themselves

As others have said a win is a win and the Dolphins are a good team (QB aside), well coached and tenacious. But why, oh why do we always have to make it so hard? We turn them over on downs and it's screaming out for playaction or a screen and what do we do? Run for minus 2 up the gut, run for 1 yard up the gut........... We all knew that was coming then leave ourselves in 3rd and long with everyone knowing what's coming.

That's just poor, poor playcalling and situational football and I really don't understand as Gruden had some really good calls, he always does and always has some really nice designs up his sleeve.......it's just so frustrating. A playaction there with Ruggs or Waller is just begging to be called or a screen to Drake - why the f are we paying him so much if we don't trust him there? Maybe it's late and I'm tired but I just struggle to see the logic to what we do sometimes 🤔😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Its the type of when you can't get excited about

Yup i'm just tired of this crap, beat the brakes off of teams sometime If Gruden doesn't trust Carr by now then he need to retire better yet let Carr call his own plays and stay out the way. 

Its the type of when you can't get excited about

OK so positives(based on what I saw right before the second half ended)

-Run blocking was much better(which could be because they went up against an opponent that's not the Steelers or ravens)

-shout out to Tom cable going out there with a line that consist of three players that have played less than a combined 10 games and one guy that was brought on the team a few weeks ago to play as well as someone could ask for

-all three receivers made plays(like I've mentioned before, receiver is not the problem on this team)

-the pass rush was consistent even though they were being held the entire game

Negatives 

-This game showed me that they're more than likely going to lose next week(the silver lining though I think in order to have one next weeks game they would've had to lose this weeks game so that they can realize that they can lose to anybody still)

-just a lot of inconsistency

-they should probably never play prevent unless they practiced it

-All of the injuries that keep happening

-this game would've been completely different if Carlson just made the extra point

-this definitely have a feel of the Jets game where it's like they win put in the back your head you're thinking why was this game that close

Ugly

-Mullen pass interference

-Derek Carr overthrow to ruggs(which highlights the fact that I've been saying that rugs open a lot but Derek doesn't always hit him

-not putting the game away(that won't work against the chargers)

Agree with most but if there's one team more likely to shoot themselves in the foot than us, it's the Chargers. We've all said it here a thousand times but we simply have to be more decisive and take the bull by the horns at the end. Can Gruden not see this time and time again?

• Like 1

Type of win you can't be excited about? Garbage win? Don't deserve the win?

What the actual hell are you guys talking about. We're 3-0 and have faced some very good teams. We're tied for the division lead, have a lot of young guys stepping up and finally fielding a solid D.

Given all the hell we've experienced over the past two decades, it's hilarious seeing fans get on their high horses saying we shouldn't be happy about where we stand, we're not good enough, don't get excited, etc. It's actually insane.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

He couldn’t be any worse. Not really sure what we’re even doing with Barber in there in the first place.

Eating crow here tonight. Good game from Peyton.

That was a tough, tough watch and the game should never have gone as far as it did, but delighted to finally beat the Dolphins.

18 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

As others have said a win is a win and the Dolphins are a good team (QB aside), well coached and tenacious. But why, oh why do we always have to make it so hard? We turn them over on downs and it's screaming out for playaction or a screen and what do we do? Run for minus 2 up the gut, run for 1 yard up the gut........... We all knew that was coming then leave ourselves in 3rd and long with everyone knowing what's coming.

That's just poor, poor playcalling and situational football and I really don't understand as Gruden had some really good calls, he always does and always has some really nice designs up his sleeve.......it's just so frustrating. A playaction there with Ruggs or Waller is just begging to be called or a screen to Drake - why the f are we paying him so much if we don't trust him there? Maybe it's late and I'm tired but I just struggle to see the logic to what we do sometimes 🤔😁

So is it safe to say gruden is conservative yet. 👀👀👀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Type of win you can't be excited about? Garbage win? Don't deserve the win?

What the actual hell are you guys talking about. We're 3-0 and have faced some very good teams. We're tied for the division lead, have a lot of young guys stepping up and finally fielding a solid D.

Given all the hell we've experienced over the past two decades, it's hilarious seeing fans get on their high horses saying we shouldn't be happy about where we stand, we're not good enough, don't get excited, etc. It's actually insane.

Don’t get me wrong: I wasn’t coming into this game thinking we were just gonna smash the dolphins. I actually knew it was going to be much harder than everybody thought it was going to be because one Jacoby Brissett is much better than to a Tagovailoa. Plus this is actually a very good pass defense(which happens to be our offensive of strength at the moment). They also have a very underrated weapons that with the right quarterback(A.k.a. a quarterback that’s not Tua) they can be very difficult to stop

That being said the problem with this win is the same problem I had with the Jets win last year. Yes we won and are 3-0 for the first time since like what? 2016 But if you actually look at that type of stuff that we got away with there’s no way we can get away with that against the chargers next week and my thing is I want to keep winning.

If you look at the season predictions thread, I have very high expectations for The Raiders this year(I put 12-5) but my thing is there’s no way we make that playing like this lol

Edited by Jeremy408

Hey, at the end of the day, in the NFL its a wins and losses business. Nobody cares about the journey, nobody cares about how dominant the win looked, there's no moral victories, and zero style points when you win in dominant fashion or lose a game you easily could have won. End of the day, you are what your record says. And our record says 3-0. And I believe the first time in NFL history a team has started off 3-0 over 3 teams that won 10+ games the previous season. 

I don't put too much stock in that because teams change significantly year to year. The Ravens can beat anyone, including the Chiefs a lot in the media had penciled in as an undefeated type team, or need a 66 yard FG to beat the winless Lions. The Steelers can handly beat the Bills, or lose at home to the Raiders and then lose to the Bengals the following week. 

The Dolphins proved last season they are a very well coached team. They fight hard. They compete. They don't give up. They may not have the most talented roster, but they can beat even good teams with a well coached, disciplined, talented defense and an offense that can do enough. Credit to them for coming out, jumping on us early, and then fighting back to almost steal a win late. 

All of that being said, a lot of credit to the Dolphins, but it still had a lot to do with the fact that this team under Gruden and company can make some baffling conservative play calls. It's like when we should probably be playing conservative, we get cute, like going for the 4th and 1 on our own 34 very early in a game where no team has established momentum, and the times when we should be aggressive and look to put a team away that we have outplayed we get conservative. Like taking the ball out of DCs hands trying to chew up clock when the defense gave us 2 chances to totally end the game. Or the prevent defense with 2 or 3 minutes left. 

Hopefully this is a game that will help them grow and understand when we have opportunities to finish the game, we need to dance with the one that brought us, and that in most games is going to be DC and the offense being aggressive, being creative, looking to score and ignoring the time, and not going run up the gut, run up the gut, run up the gut, punt. I have my doubts because this has been a theme for years. 

At the end of the day though, it's always good to be critical and look for the things to improve that ALMOST killed us this game, but we found a way to navigate through and win anyway. Obviously a lot to love, a lot to like, a lot to be worried about, and a lot to be critical of, but at the end of the day we are 3-0 for the first time in almost 20 years. So we absolutely should enjoy it. 

There may be some silver lining that the Raider team from the last 2 years goes down 14-0 in a game we are supposed to win after a couple of big wins, and they totally pick it in. And get the doors blown off of us. Instead we fought and clawed our way back, took serious control, and let them hang around and paid for it, but we still found a way to compose ourselves and make enough plays to win. This result could be much more impactful for our team than getting blown out (same old Raiders storyline) or winning comfortably (we were the favorite at home), instead we had a little of both and we saw firsthand that this team is good enough despite past games to get jumped on early, to take command over a team and just as easily let them back in the game and have it go down to the wire. In one game we saw all stages of the Gruden Raiders. Hard to get too high on your victories when it was a game like today. Hopefully they use that as a tool to keep the guys focused, hungry, and to keep improving. So we can go out and get a victory next weekend. 

3-0 and in first place in the AFC West with the Chiefs in the cellar? I don't care how we got here, I'm enjoying this one. RAIDER NATION!!