Week 4: Browns (2-1) at VIKINGS (1-2)

swede700

On 9/28/2021 at 3:38 PM, vikingsrule said:

I hope they try and make a move a for a talented or proven veteran CB if the season is deemed salvageable. The Jags just traded a talented CB. You’d think there’s be some options to pursue. Certainly won’t get better on defense if Breeland is starting. But I don’t know what’s going on with Dantzler and why he isn’t getting a chance to build off his rookie year.

I don't really want to get fleeced again in another Ngakoue situation.

This is undoubtedly a HUGE game!  Cleveland is the best roster and team the Vikings will face the 1st half of the season (but the Ravens, Cowboys and Chargers aren't slouches right now).  The intertwining of the coaching staffs and players creates a nice side-buzz; however, the facts are Cleveland is trench-seasoned one more year than the Vikes . . . if that makes sense.  The Browns O-line has their hands full with what looked like a devastating Vikes D-Line rotation in the 2nd half last week.

Of course, we've all seen the Browns' demolition of Chicago last week . . . so, which O-line faces the bigger test?  Actually, I think it's the Browns' O-line coming into US Bank Stadium and trying to overcome the crowd noise that gives the Vikes D-Line an edge.  Aside from Hunter and Co. probably getting some sacks, I agree stopping that running game takes priority.  Getting 3 turnovers will be a nice bonus --- chalk that one up! (Bold Prediction)  

The Vikes offense needs to control the clock, keep the penalties to 0 and mix it up, just like last week.  Oh, and take care of the ball - 0 T.O.s.

The Special Teams need a flawless performance.  No other word can emphasize this enough.  

In the end, I do believe the Vikes win this one . . . personally, I see the Defense making this a statement game.  Why?  For three weeks, everyone in the media, the fans and probably half the team has complained about DB play.  The first week, it was the D-line.  The LB corps without Barr has been suspect at times . . . Buuuutttttt, when this D-line plays the way it did the 2nd half against Seattle -- 95 total yards (5 runs for 13 yards) -- the DBs get better, the LBs can be all over the place, like when Kendricks sacked 
Wilson.  So, ultimately, this defense says "hey, we're someone you should be scared of."    I want the remaining 13 teams' offenses to look at this tape and be worried . . . very worried!

not sure anyone saw this coming. The offense seems designed to mitigate the shortcomings of the personnel, and to let the skill position talent win out. Much less play action, fewer deep shots, lots of trips/bunch formations against Seattle. I think they slow down the CLE pass rush this week.

36 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Think it's one of those swing games for the Vikings. Playoffs will be tough with a 1-3 start but if you start 2-2 and have momentum you could easily go on a run.

Vikings win a close one is my guess.

Is 2-2 and 3-3 all that different? Could drop to the Browns, an AFC team, and still be back at .500 going into game 7.

Detroit and Carolina come after Cleveland who I think are easier opponents than Cleveland. Don’t know what to think about Darnold and Carolina yet.

Edited by vikingsrule

I don't have very high expectations in this game.  It's up to how the defense plays, particularly the secondary.  If safety's have to be on or near the line to help stop Chubb and Hunt in the Cleveland run game, then Mayfield and his receivers could exploit the corners and it won't be pretty.  The D-Line has to get pressure on Mayfield on their own, and they have to keep Chubb and Hunt corralled.  I think the Vikings drop our linebackers into coverage most of the time, which puts enormous pressure on the D line to come up big.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:12 AM, Virginia Viking said:

I don't have very high expectations in this game.  It's up to how the defense plays, particularly the secondary.  If safety's have to be on or near the line to help stop Chubb and Hunt in the Cleveland run game, then Mayfield and his receivers could exploit the corners and it won't be pretty.  The D-Line has to get pressure on Mayfield on their own, and they have to keep Chubb and Hunt corralled.  I think the Vikings drop our linebackers into coverage most of the time, which puts enormous pressure on the D line to come up big.

Your DL may have plenty of success. Jedrick Wills has been dealing with an ankle injury and might not play. His backup Hubbard is also injured, so we'd be forced to start Blake Hance at LT, and he's usually our second string guard. Either him or James Hudson, who is a raw rookie.

Plus, Conklin has had issues in pass protection this year.

13 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

I actually think we might win this one. Browns are banged up. Landry just went to IR, one of their starting CBs has been ruled out, and they could be missing a starter or two on the OL.

I would actually counter this sentiment with the Browns are a LOT healthier than the vikings based on the injury report...especially with Dalvin Cook and 3 of your top 5 CB's.....

https://www.vikings.com/news/injury-report-browns-week-4

And while Landry is missing....that means more snaps for some of our young guy's DPJ and Schwartz.....Landry's "possession receiver" roll as far as production can always be filled by fan (and Baker Mayfield) favorite Hollywood Higgins...