Week 4 GDT - Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Niner nation is even harder on him. Damn. They excoriated him. 

That’s better Rivals, right? For some reason I just hate them. Can’t stand them, middlekauff seems to be fair when giving credit to this org ( which has done a lot right). It feels like `but can’t say anything positive or neutral without prefacing a negative aspect. Just not fun to,listen too when the team is good OR bad

21 minutes ago, John232 said:

That’s better Rivals, right? For some reason I just hate them. Can’t stand them, middlekauff seems to be fair when giving credit to this org ( which has done a lot right). It feels like `but can’t say anything positive or neutral without prefacing a negative aspect. Just not fun to,listen too when the team is good OR bad

Don't think so. I think better rivals is Oscar. This is sb nation. Rob Guerrera

31 minutes ago, John232 said:

No. Better Rivals is Oscar and David. 

BTW it's comfortable to be negative on everything or most things. Illusionary trick to make you sound like the smartest one in the room. Hallmark of the human condition. Better Rivals is also guilty of this a good amount of the time :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

No. Better Rivals is Oscar and David. 

BTW it's comfortable to be negative on everything or most things. Illusionary trick to make you sound like the smartest one in the room. Hallmark of the human condition. Better Rivals is also guilty of this a good amount of the time :)

Yup. I use to like BR a lot, but became unbearable to a point. When they were advocating for trading back and taking DeAndre baker and Byron Marshall over Bosa because of a pff study, I peaced.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't think so. I think better rivals is Oscar. This is sb nation. Rob Guerrera

Dang, I always hear of NN but they never made it into my queue. Maybe I’ll try it out. Im already thinking about coaches for 23 if I’m being honest 

edit*

Edited by John232

20 minutes ago, John232 said:

Dang, I always hear of NN but they never made it into my queue. Maybe I’ll try it out. Im already thinking about coaches for we if I’m being honest 

I haven't listened to them enough to judge their opinions or takes, but I do think they sound good. And they are strongly opinionated, which I do like

On rewatch - after Lance’s first couple of drives where he started 1 of 5 (albeit with that one being a long TD), looked lost and too juiced up, and could barely do anything, he finished 9 for his last 13 with a reasonable YPA and a TD and was really hard to keep in the pocket and to sack. Yes, they were playing off coverage, but he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn early. After those first couple of drives, he looked much more like NDSU Lance - still a bit warty with inaccurate throws, but capable enough in the short game and a playmaker outside of it. Dude just needs some game time to calm down. And he didn’t put the ball in harm’s way. Looking forward to seeing him for a whole game with first team practice reps. I’m sure he’s gonna have a hard time controlling his emotions for a bit, but when he cools it down a bit, he can play. 

• Like 3

Colin K came off the bench against the Rams and played unremarkable in his debut, but then a week later went off against a quality Bears defense on MNF. Two different people, but maybe Lance can look better sooner rather than later.

BTW just looking around the internet on various platforms, fans are already starting to turn against Shanahan more than I had seen before. Not a surprise. Lance is next if he doesn't perform well fast enough for the peanut gallery. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

On rewatch - after Lance’s first couple of drives where he started 1 of 5 (albeit with that one being a long TD), looked lost and too juiced up, and could barely do anything, he finished 9 for his last 13 with a reasonable YPA and a TD and was really hard to keep in the pocket and to sack. Yes, they were playing off coverage, but he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn early. After those first couple of drives, he looked much more like NDSU Lance - still a bit warty with inaccurate throws, but capable enough in the short game and a playmaker outside of it. Dude just needs some game time to calm down. And he didn’t put the ball in harm’s way. Looking forward to seeing him for a whole game with first team practice reps. I’m sure he’s gonna have a hard time controlling his emotions for a bit, but when he cools it down a bit, he can play. 

So on some of the passes it seemed like he missed so badly but then in the post-game he said he was just protecting Deebo on one of those plays since he was going to get sandwiched in between the corner and safety...Went back and then saw that exact play. That was good and shows he has a nice football brain and processes things well to a certain extent...Now, some other misses like to Kittle were bad and he needs to clean that up. The way he maneuvered around the pocket as the game progressed was good to see. Against Arizona, Shanny will need to call some screen plays and quick outs to get him in somewhat of a rhythm before opening the playbook up. Make it easy for him at the start.

46 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Colin K came off the bench against the Rams and played unremarkable in his debut, but then a week later went off against a quality Bears defense on MNF. Two different people, but maybe Lance can look better sooner rather than later.

BTW just looking around the internet on various platforms, fans are already starting to turn against Shanahan more than I had seen before. Not a surprise. Lance is next if he doesn't perform well fast enough for the peanut gallery. 

Absolutely, but you see that all the time because when a rookie or second year QB comes in midgame, they do so with taking no starter reps in practice and with the game plan built around the starter...Next week will be completely different as Lance will get all the reps in practice and Shanny will create a game plan around Lance's strengths. The more the young QBs around the league play, the better they will be. 

I don't know why, but I ended up rewatching the game last night and the defense was lights out minus three drives...Unfortunately those three drives ended up being TD drives for Seattle. I'm not even counting the one where they started inside the 15 yard line as that one was inevitable. But the defense has to be better in the RZ. If they hold Seattle to just one FG instead of a TD, this is a different ball game.

Overall though, I just felt watching the game over that we had a decent advantage talent wise. The DL when Bosa/Ford get to line up together is filthy, Kinlaw was starting to put some pressure and we did such a good job limiting Carson and the Seahawks run game until towards the end. Moseley is legitimately used like a true #1 CB and he's been matched up quite a bit against Metcalf and Adams the last two games and he's more than held his own. The missed tackle was bad but I'll give him a pass since tackling Metcalf in that situation is very difficult, especially for a smaller CB. Kirkpatrick was playing well until the 2nd half where he started allowing some catches and committed a bad PI penalty on a big 3rd down. I can't blame him though, Lockett is a very tough match up when you have no safety help. I wish on that play that Ryans would have called a two man and taken that away. The pass rush started to slow down a bit though so I'm sure he wanted to get to Wilson and not give him a lot of time back there but you have to stay disciplined against him. 

After hearing Jimmy hurt his calf and it was a legitimate injury, I had to see his reps again to see if there was a difference or not. Jimmy is more of a upper body thrower as it is but he did throw even more with his upper body than usual. He also could hardly move which didn't help matters. Jimmy did  step into his throw to Kittle down the field but that play was doomed from the start. The fact we cannot get Aiyuk involved is baffling to me. Like he's not even being looked at so I hope that changes with Lance. Aiyuk is killer against press coverage as he is able to beat that fairly easy so if he has single coverage, let it fly to him and see what happens.

Sermon looked better all game even before Lance came in but when Lance entered the game, Sermon had some big runs. Getting those hand offs off the pistol is what he was brought in for. Ran with power and was decisive with his cuts. He's going to be leaned on heavily, even once Mitchell returns. 

I know most will think the Cardinals are going to destroy this team next week, but I don't see that happening. This team has a lot of talent and will be in almost every game this season. Shanny will come up with a ball control game plan and the defense will play well enough...I don't think we will win, but it will be a competitive game. 

• Like 1

Just read a quote from Jimmy that he felt like someone stepped on the back of his leg and his calf got progressively worse, working it’s way down to his Achilles. Sounds to me like same story as every Achilles tear. Hope not. Would explain why he started playing progressively worse. 

Just now, straighthate said:

Just read a quote from Jimmy that he felt like someone stepped on the back of his leg and his calf got progressively worse, working it’s way down to his Achilles. Sounds to me like same story as every Achilles tear. Hope not. Would explain why he started playing progressively worse. 

Nah, I think it is just a calf strain...I had the same exact thing happen to me playing basketball where I thought someone kicked or stepped on my calf but no one was behind me. That's usually a similar story to an Achilles tear but the location of where you feel being stepped on or kicked is different. Jimmy would not have been able to make some of those throws with a torn Achilles.