Week 4 GDT: Washington "Football" Team at Atlanta Falcons, 1 PM EST Fox (GIF Theme: Marvel)

MikeT14

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Actually did our homework? How is that possible? Dude had like 10 catches the whole time he was there and he’s barely been on the field blocking. Fowler dusted him when they did put him on the field on Taylor’s prayer to Terry. He was a reach. Dude probably could’ve been had in the 7th round. We’ve done this multiple times. Did the same thing with Wes Martin and LeRibus. There were absolutely better players available. Arguing that point is just silly. Hell, Brevin Jordan was still available and don’t even tell me Bates was a better collegiate TE than Jordan. 

I agree with your thoughts for the most part. I think they reached because we got sniped on just about every other TE we probably would have wanted (Freiermuth, Tremble, Long). Brevin Jordan fell because of the combine. Ferrell was expected to be 7th and went higher as well. I think we reached because we needed SOMETHING unfortunately. I went back and looked and I can't say there were better TEs available (but yes players). Hindsight on Brevin. We'll see how that works. 

• Like 1

I clearly said doing homework in regards to Bates was watching the Senior Bowl practices and reading about what scouts were saying about him that week and after that week. I have absolutely zero problem with the draft pick. I did on draft day bc I really didn’t know who he was but the more I watched of him in senior bowl practices and read about him I was satisfied with the pick. 

The pick that was a head scratcher to me in last draft was Darrick Forrest, yes, he is athletic and has tons of potential but, we had safeties heck, our starter when our D played the best last year is on our practice squad right now! When we drafted Forest I had questions if he’d even make the team bc of Collins returning and the guys we already had in house and then, we signed McCain too.

The Forrest pick should’ve been a LB. A LB we could’ve drafted was KJ Britt from Auburn who I’ve talked about before. He’s a 2 down thumper, that pick would’ve made sense since in round 1 we took the athletic Jamin Davis with upside to be a 3 down LB who makes a lot of plays in not only in the run game but also in coverage but yes, he’s raw and has development to do.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, noptov52 said:

Ah yes, the great Brevin Jordan.  A lofty third on the Texans depth chart, with zero snaps and absolutely useless on special teams.

I mean, that doesn’t change the fact Brevin Jordan was undoubtedly the better collegiate TE and got drafted later. Bates was a reach. We’ve done this multiple times in the 3rd and 4th round. Why? I have no idea? And there were absolutely better players available when we picked Bates. Same with BSJ. They targeted guys with high SPARQ ratings and just drafted them whenever. It’s the reason we have a MLB who looks like he’s never played football before as our first round selection. 

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I clearly said doing homework in regards to Bates was watching the Senior Bowl practices and reading about what scouts were saying about him that week and after that week. I have absolutely zero problem with the draft pick. I did on draft day bc I really didn’t know who he was but the more I watched of him in senior bowl practices and read about him I was satisfied with the pick. 

The pick that was a head scratcher to me in last draft was Darrick Forrest, yes, he is athletic and has tons of potential but, we had safeties heck, our starter when our D played the best last year is on our practice squad right now! When we drafted Forest I had questions if he’d even make the team bc of Collins returning and the guys we already had in house and then, we signed McCain too.

The Forrest pick should’ve been a LB. A LB we could’ve drafted was KJ Britt from Auburn who I’ve talked about before. He’s a 2 down thumper, that pick would’ve made sense since in round 1 we took the athletic Jamin Davis with upside to be a 3 down LB who makes a lot of plays in not only in the run game but also in coverage but yes, he’s raw and has development to do.

This whole entire draft was a head scratcher and that was my fear with Kyle Smith being edged out. We brought in three guys with a pretty poor track record of drafting and it shows in our current draft. Now, this draft could change and I’m hoping it will but right now it seems like our two best picks were Cosmi and a long-snapper. And yes, I blasted the hell out of this draft while it was going on and got crap for it. Same with free agency which I hated.

Rivera is replacing players just for the hell of it. It’s stupid. KPL, Darby and Reaves should be playing on this defense. You have McKinney sitting out there right now and he would undoubtedly be your best LB and we’re just acting like David Mayo can be brought up and that will be just dandy. Rivera can’t have control of this roster and we need an actual GM. Not his buddies sitting in there to be yes men. This team can never do anything right. Fired Bruce Allen and then just turns around and does something dumb again. And yes, giving an average headcoach full control of your entire organization is stupid. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This whole entire draft was a head scratcher and that was my fear with Kyle Smith being edged out. We brought in three guys with a pretty poor track record of drafting and it shows in our current draft. Now, this draft could change and I’m hoping it will but right now it seems like our two best picks were Cosmi and a long-snapper. And yes, I blasted the hell out of this draft while it was going on and got crap for it. Same with free agency which I hated.

Rivera is replacing players just for the hell of it. It’s stupid. KPL, Darby and Reaves should be playing on this defense. You have McKinney sitting out there right now and he would undoubtedly be your best LB and we’re just acting like David Mayo can be brought up and that will be just dandy. Rivera can’t have control of this roster and we need an actual GM. Not his buddies sitting in there to be yes men. This team can never do anything right. Fired Bruce Allen and then just turns around and does something dumb again. And yes, giving an average headcoach full control of your entire organization is stupid. 

That’s certainly one take, I guess we’ll see what happens. 

On 10/5/2021 at 12:27 PM, turtle28 said:

Chris Harris doesn’t call the defensive plays. I don’t think Chris Harris would be playing a soft zone most of the game as a former safety.

Yes, but there is a recurring problem of the secondary not communicating with each other/not being on the same page. That's Harris's responsibility.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woz said:

Yes, but there is a recurring problem of the secondary not communicating with each other/not being on the same page. That's Harris's responsibility.

You’re on this Harris is a bad coach/the problem with our secondary now ever since I suggested he’d be a better coordinator than JDR. We do this all the time when we start blaming the coaching when players make mistakes all the time and yes, some of the responsibilities are on the coaches but the coaches can’t play for the players. They can show them what they want & what they should be doing but it’s the players who are blowing coverages. We all remember how our coverage started last season - it wasn’t great - but it got better as the season when on & communication  improved, my feeling is that will happen again but we’ll see I guess.

I’ll also point out that Green Bay almost hired Chris Harris to be their defensive coordinator this past off-season. Everyone knows that a lot of being a good defensive coordinator is switching up coverages post snap, calling exotic blitzes that confuse offenses, knowing when to be aggressive & putting your defenders in position to make plays.

Currently, JDR is making all of those calls on our D and it’s not working. JDR is being too soft with this D talent we have when we should be attacking and forcing QBs into mistakes. I trust Chris Harris to be more aggressive than what JDR has been.